Home
Log in / Sign Up
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Not much to clean?
Previous  1  2  3  Next



Post new topic   Reply to topic View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother
Mustard


 

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 7:14 pm
It’s not so much the cleaning, it’s the
COOKING & FOOD !

The always running out of food & making 1000 trips to grocery store
For the mains
The fruits and veg
The diary
The first major grocery order

I find all that very hard & time consuming & I’d love to make it simpler.
How ?
Back to top

thatworn




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 7:27 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
I don’t forbid it, but we do have a “no food beyond the dining room” rule. However, guests don’t always listen, little kids don’t always listen, and my 17m for sure doesn’t listen. Yes my main cleaning is the kitchen and dining room, but that doesn’t mean I don’t need to clean other places too.


My children rarely listen to me but with food I guess I've been militant and I really never let anyone eat away from the table. Food is taken away if they start to wander around with it. Meal and snack times are always supervised. I guess it could be seen as taking time away from doing laundry, etc, if I have to supervise eating times, but it has made life a lot easier Pesach time. I am not sure what to do about guests not listening. We have had people occasionally give their children food in our basement by simchos we've hosted, but I'm very on top of cleaning it up right away. It might be that I drive myself too crazy for the rest of the year and this is unhealthy? But I do not have cleaning help and just doing the kitchen and dining room is so much work in such a short time that Pesach is always on my mind.
Just wondering, once you've pesach cleaned your bedrooms, etc, how do you make sure toddlers/guests, do not take chommetz in there? This would be my main concern. If someone is not listening to rules concering food for 45 or so weeks of the year, what makes them listen in the weeks leading up til Pesach after you've cleaned?


Last edited by thatworn on Tue, Apr 02 2024, 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top

thatworn




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 7:28 pm
amother Mustard wrote:
It’s not so much the cleaning, it’s the
COOKING & FOOD !

The always running out of food & making 1000 trips to grocery store
For the mains
The fruits and veg
The diary
The first major grocery order

I find all that very hard & time consuming & I’d love to make it simpler.
How ?


Do you keep a list/lists from year to year, with how much produce and other products you've used? I find it so helpful to whip out a list and ship based on that. Of course, if you're having guests, etc, you have to recalculate.
Back to top

amother
Stone


 

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 7:46 pm
I have a special needs kid who doesn't look special needs. She hides food. Sneaks it. She has HFASD and ADHD. We are working on it but I have cleaned out her room 3x already and keep finding snacks.

I am going crazy.

I don't know what to do. We live in a small place so it is harder in many ways. No room to store thing, lock things up. No playroom.
Dining room is playroom is living room....
Back to top

amother
Dill


 

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 7:48 pm
I have little kids also but we have a no food outside of the kitchen/dining room area that everyone knows and sticks to. Even the 2 year old knows food doesn’t go anywhere else. It’s for cleanliness reasons but it’s a super helpful rule when it comes pesach time!

OP what you’re doing sounds fine.
I absolutely hate cleaning the fridge and stovetop and putting all of the kitchen things away and covering the counters. But other than that the rest of the house is super easy.
Back to top

amother
Midnight


 

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 8:05 pm
There are certain rules I have for our house, but "food only in the kitchen" is just not one of them. I like snacking on the couch. I like giving my kid a rice cake in bed if they're kvetching they're still hungry. I like letting them snack on a bag of chips while they play in the playroom. I'd rather be chill all year round and have a harder job for 3 weeks, than be all strict about it all year long.
Back to top

amother
Mustard


 

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 8:06 pm
thatworn wrote:
Do you keep a list/lists from year to year, with how much produce and other products you've used? I find it so helpful to whip out a list and ship based on that. Of course, if you're having guests, etc, you have to recalculate.


No. But I really should
Back to top

amother
Maroon


 

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 8:15 pm
I totally relate. Everyone around me is freaking out about cleaning their homes, but in my world, it's pretty straightforward.
Back to top

amother
Lightpink


 

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 8:39 pm
OOC for those who don’t spring clean now, when do you do it?
Back to top

amother
Cornsilk


 

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 9:02 pm
amother Lightpink wrote:
OOC for those who don’t spring clean now, when do you do it?

I do a closet in November, one in January, another in July... when it looks like it needs it.
Back to top

amother
Sapphire


 

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 9:15 pm
Yuppp! I’m with you. People all around me are freaking out and I’m like ummm.. I cleaned my upstairs and there wasn’t anything besides dust. I mean ye my 4 yr old sneaks food up but I clean it up right away. I honestly think people aren’t aware of Halacha. For instance did you kno if there’s a piece of bread under your oven and you know about it you still do not have to move the oven and clean it. I think the high schools/mesivtas need to focus on what’s Halacha and what’s chumra and make a clear differentiation so when it comes to being married we don’t have a bunch of harried moms and dads right before pesach.
Back to top

amother
SandyBrown


 

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 12:43 am
amother Stone wrote:
I have a special needs kid who doesn't look special needs. She hides food. Sneaks it. She has HFASD and ADHD. We are working on it but I have cleaned out her room 3x already and keep finding snacks.

I am going crazy.

I don't know what to do. We live in a small place so it is harder in many ways. No room to store thing, lock things up. No playroom.
Dining room is playroom is living room....


Switch to klp pesach snacks from now on!
Back to top

Gt




 
 
    
 

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 1:09 am
amother Lightpink wrote:
OOC for those who don’t spring clean now, when do you do it?

I do the spring cleaning of closets between Chanukah and tu bishvat , it’s a quieter time of year and I’m spending time indoors in that weather anyway . The week before Pesach I just go through the pockets .
Back to top

amother
Lemonlime


 

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 1:35 am
We have a no food off the main floor rule but I know my stepdaughter keeps food in her room. She's also over the age of 12 and is responsible for cleaning her own room. If she has chametz there it's on her, not on me.
Everyone else in the house abides by the rule.
I only Pesach clean the main floor. Chametz has never entered my bedroom or any kids bedrooms.
I don't use pesach as an excuse to organize or spring clean. I deep clean every couple of months anyway.
Back to top

amother
Stone


 

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 3:13 am
amother SandyBrown wrote:
Switch to klp pesach snacks from now on!


Incredibly picky kid with tantrums over the wrong flavor of something or if we gave wrong vegetable. Because of the HFASD- I can't deal with klp for an extra day, let alone 2 weeks.
Looks neurotypical from outside but causes lots of chaos for us.
Besides not affording KLP snacks for extra few weeks. I don't buy 99% of that stuff for pesach anyways...
Back to top

amother
Poppy


 

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 3:46 am
We don't allow food out of the kitchen and dining room, so Pesach cleaning isn't a big deal for us. It's just regular cleaning in most of the house plus intensive kitchen cleaning. We close off all cabinets and put up Pesach shelves, so it's really just deep cleaning the oven and fridge and freezer and chairs. The floor needs to get swept and mopped Pesach or not anyway.
Back to top

imaima




 
 
    
 

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 3:56 am
amother OP wrote:
I feel like everyone is stressing and cleaning for Pesach and I don't know what I'm forgetting/missing. I'm not cleaning my upstairs other than regular weekly cleaning - linen, bathrooms, floor, etc. We don't usually eat upstairs. I need to vacuum the couch, wash the shelves in the dining room. Wash tables and chairs and cover. Clean coat closets, coats, backpacks. I have separate toys for Pesach so I'm just locking up my playroom, not cleaning that. I sell most of my kitchen cabinets so only cleaning the ones that have food, like the pantry. Fridge and freezer. I can do all that in a few hours. What am I missing here? (My husband will be cleaning the car.)

I grew up in a house where we cleaned the chandelier and scrubbed the pots with toothpicks. Am I just doing too little because we did too much? Am I doing enough?


You are doing fine.
Other people just also combine it with spring cleaning
Back to top

Ema of 5




 
 
    
 

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 7:55 am
thatworn wrote:
My children rarely listen to me but with food I guess I've been militant and I really never let anyone eat away from the table. Food is taken away if they start to wander around with it. Meal and snack times are always supervised. I guess it could be seen as taking time away from doing laundry, etc, if I have to supervise eating times, but it has made life a lot easier Pesach time. I am not sure what to do about guests not listening. We have had people occasionally give their children food in our basement by simchos we've hosted, but I'm very on top of cleaning it up right away. It might be that I drive myself too crazy for the rest of the year and this is unhealthy? But I do not have cleaning help and just doing the kitchen and dining room is so much work in such a short time that Pesach is always on my mind.
Just wondering, once you've pesach cleaned your bedrooms, etc, how do you make sure toddlers/guests, do not take chommetz in there? This would be my main concern. If someone is not listening to rules concering food for 45 or so weeks of the year, what makes them listen in the weeks leading up til Pesach after you've cleaned?

It’s not my kids who don’t listen. It’s the guests who bring snacks for their little kids, or get a box from a simcha, or take something up when they go to bed….im not saying there’s a crazy amount of food, I’m just saying I can’t rely on “we don’t take food beyond the dining room” when it comes to Pesach cleaning.
Everything gets cleaned every week (except the playroom) so I’m not really concerned. I do a thorough cleaning right before I turn over my kitchen, and then anything that may end up getting taken out of the dining room is kosher for Pesach, so it’s ok.
Back to top

amother
Burlywood


 

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 4:17 pm
Just cleaning kitchen with appliances, dining room, turn over, cover, shlep out pesach wares, feeding everyone 3 meals a day chometz while trying to cook & keep the kitchen chometz free.. it's all alot. Then the endless laundry ( regular + linens & towels + coats & jackets etc) the day before yom tov..
Back to top

amother
Lime


 

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 5:05 pm
I'm doing pretty much the same except we also shake out all books and vacuum the cuffs of pants.

Nooks and crannies get sprayed so that any crumbs won't be edible.
Back to top
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics




Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Please help. My clean laundry started having a weird smell
by amother
19 Tue, May 14 2024, 11:21 am View last post
What's included in a "deep clean?"
by amother
2 Fri, May 10 2024, 5:53 pm View last post
How to clean ikippa?
by amother
4 Mon, May 06 2024, 8:55 pm View last post
What to do 8 yr old doesn't clean up
by amother
5 Sun, May 05 2024, 8:34 pm View last post
How do you clean hardwood floors?
by amother
5 Wed, May 01 2024, 12:17 pm View last post