Home
Log in / Sign Up
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Job or volunteer ideas
1  2  Next



Post new topic   Reply to topic View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother
OP


 

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 10:54 am
I have health issues and my therapist recommended that I look for a job or volunteer in some field that uses my talents and strengths in a very part time way to add some joy and fun to my life. I'm looking for ideas (I do not live in the tri state area). I am creative, artistic, organized, I see details, emotionally super aware, super responsible, and I do not want to deal with children...
Back to top

613mitzvahgirl




 
 
    
 

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 10:59 am
How about doing art therapy with some senior citizens or be a party planner for your creative side.
Back to top

amother
OP


 

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 11:14 am
im not good at party planning and I don't like old people either.
Back to top

singleagain




 
 
    
 

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 11:17 am
A bunch of years back I volunteered as an usher and then later took a job which was a part-time usher which was perfect because it was shift work there were. There were a lot of evening shows but there were also the matinees which you know appeal. A lot of people did the usher job as a second job, so if you're available for matinees that's probably even better.

I would check out a local performing arts center.
Back to top

amother
OP


 

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 11:20 am
singleagain wrote:
A bunch of years back I volunteered as an usher and then later took a job which was a part-time usher which was perfect because it was shift work there were. There were a lot of evening shows but there were also the matinees which you know appeal. A lot of people did the usher job as a second job, so if you're available for matinees that's probably even better.

I would check out a local performing arts center.



Thanks, that's an interesting idea!
Back to top

amother
Wallflower


 

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 11:21 am
Do you have any jewish orgs where you live? They might have office type work you can do. Things like bikkur cholim, chai lifeline etc... coordinating rides to hospitals or coordinating meals and drop offs.. I'd start by calling any such orgs
Back to top

singleagain




 
 
    
 

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 11:32 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks, that's an interesting idea!


It was a ton of fun, especially because I got to see a ton of shows for free just by working them.

In fact, I even made sure to request specific shows.
Back to top

amother
OP


 

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 11:36 am
amother Wallflower wrote:
Do you have any jewish orgs where you live? They might have office type work you can do. Things like bikkur cholim, chai lifeline etc... coordinating rides to hospitals or coordinating meals and drop offs.. I'd start by calling any such orgs


I don't have anything like that here.
Back to top

amother
OP


 

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 11:37 am
singleagain wrote:
It was a ton of fun, especially because I got to see a ton of shows for free just by working them.

In fact, I even made sure to request specific shows.



ugh, the local theater is closed for volunteers. Such a good idea though.
Back to top

mha3484




 
 
    
 

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 11:38 am
Can you do partners in torah?
Back to top

singleagain




 
 
    
 

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 11:39 am
amother OP wrote:
ugh, the local theater is closed for volunteers. Such a good idea though.


Drat. That's annoying.

What about a community or college theater? How close is the nearest town with a theater?
Back to top

unnamed




 
 
    
 

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 11:45 am
How about painting murals in schools or nurseries?
Back to top

singleagain




 
 
    
 

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 12:01 pm
When you say you do not want to deal with children, do you mean to deal with children as like a group of them

Cuz I just had an idea and you might even be able to get paid a little bit for this

I had a friend whose toddler was in the hospital within the last year and because he would try to pull out his tubes they had hired someone to sit with him to make sure that he would not pull out his tubes and things like that. I think they literally just call it a sitter

You know it just be a one-on-one thing, but it can also be emotionally drainings who might not be right for everybody.

Or if it's again, I know this is emotionally draining thing, but they also I think like to look for volunteers to sit with the NICU babies and when you're able to you can hold them cuz the skin-to-skin contact is very good and sometimes parents have other responsibilities, other children and they can't always be.
Back to top

mha3484




 
 
    
 

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 12:26 pm
Do you have kids in school? Our school is always looking for volunteers, especially for the library.
Back to top

chocolate moose




 
 
    
 

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 5:05 pm
I cleaned cages in an animal rescue pre covid. does that interest you? animal rescues also need help with their social media accounts, grant writing, etc.
Back to top

TwinsMommy




 
 
    
 

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 6:53 pm
except for not wanting to deal with children (I adore children and love playgroup subbing) you sound a LOT like me. A couple decades ago I got licensed and bonded as a tax preparer. Took a few months of prep which was fairly easy and then I was able to take some more advanced classwork. I was able to do it part time under an umbrella organization. The organized, detail oriented part of what you said spoke to me. I helped a LOT of families and it was quite rewarding. The pay was terrible though. Smile
Back to top

mra01385




 
 
    
 

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 7:05 pm
Why don’t you take a graphics course or even just learn canva to make graphic projects for people and websites. Many businesses need graphics and websites for their marketing and social media marketing.
Maybe you can write articles for publications if you like writing.
Back to top

amother
OP


 

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 11:55 am
The shelter sounds interesting-the ones I've been to are scary, dark, smell gross... was that your experience?
My kids library has a librarian already and it's very tiny.
Taxes sounds superbly boring.
I am not an artist like the drawing or painting on the wall.
I know how to use canva and I know how to make websites. It doesn't fill my cup..
Back to top

Peersupport




 
 
    
 

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 1:37 pm
If you enjoy socializing and are an empathetic caring person, you might enjoy volunteering for the US National Crisis Text Line. The course takes around 2 weeks to complete, and the work is really meaningful.
https://www.crisistextline.org.....teer/
Back to top

chocolate moose




 
 
    
 

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 3:42 pm
I liked volunteering in the shelter. the animals were happy to get treats and when the public was there, they were fascinated. I also made friends there.
Back to top
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics




Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Recipes/Ideas For Freezing
by Tao
7 Yesterday at 6:20 pm View last post
Road-trip ideas 2 Yesterday at 11:04 am View last post
Need new recipes, or new ideas for Shavous.. 0 Yesterday at 10:02 am View last post
What do you do if your job doesn't give benefits
by amother
5 Yesterday at 9:08 am View last post
Job resume for my husband that's been in yeshiva
by amother
1 Yesterday at 6:24 am View last post
by amf