Home
Log in / Sign Up
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Dilemma, being there for husband or child



Post new topic   Reply to topic View latest: 24h 48h 72h

fellowjew




 
 
    
 

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 10:30 pm
I put it under this forum cuz I wasn't sure where it belongs exactly.
My husband is undergoing a minor surgery, he will be discharged an hour or 2 later, he would technically need someone to accompany him and bring him home. I have a 20 month old at home.
Issue 1-
Being that it's erev Pesach I feel like I can't send a little 20 month old to someone for 5-6 hours. during the day.
Issue 2-
We would like to keep this surgery under wraps as much as possible.

I'm really not sure how to swing this. Do I send my little girl to someone, tell them a bit about the situation, and ignore the fact that it's a few days before Pesach? Or do I tell DH that I would love to be there for him, but I just don't see it possible and arrange a ride home for him from hospital?
Back to top

ap




 
 
    
 

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 10:32 pm
I would send out my baby for pay
Unless someone else can accompany dh
Back to top

imasinger




 
 
    
 

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 10:32 pm
Can't you bring DD with you? In most hospitals, a staff member wheels the patient to the door (unless they are good to walk), and then the patient can just get in the car. Very doable with a toddler .

Refuah shleima!


Last edited by imasinger on Sun, Apr 14 2024, 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top

Beautiful




 
 
    
 

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 10:33 pm
fellowjew wrote:
I put it under this forum cuz I wasn't sure where it belongs exactly.
My husband is undergoing a minor surgery, he will be discharged an hour or 2 later, he would technically need someone to accompany him and bring him home. I have a 20 month old at home.
Issue 1-
Being that it's erev Pesach I feel like I can't send a little 20 month old to someone for 5-6 hours. during the day.
Issue 2-
We would like to keep this surgery under wraps as much as possible.

I'm really not sure how to swing this. Do I send my little girl to someone, tell them a bit about the situation, and ignore the fact that it's a few days before Pesach? Or do I tell DH that I would love to be there for him, but I just don't see it possible and arrange a ride home for him from hospital?


Do you ha e a babysitter you usually send to? Can you send the baby to a prepesach camp? There are tons of those advertised on my neighborhood. No one will be surprised you need your baby out of the house...having a few minor procedures on my family, 100% you should be there for your husband.
Back to top

fellowjew




 
 
    
 

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 10:34 pm
imasinger wrote:
Can't you bring DD with you? In most hospitals, a staff member wheels the patient to the door (unless they are good to walk), and then the patient can just get in the car. Very doable with a toddler .


The plan is for me to accompany him and be there throughout, and then bring him home, I can't see how to properly care and entertain a toddler for 5-6 hours in hospital...
Back to top

pnimi




 
 
    
 

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 10:34 pm
Can you think of anyone else who can accompany him? And maybe you can co.e pick him up afterwards?
Back to top

fellowjew




 
 
    
 

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 10:35 pm
Beautiful wrote:
Do you ha e a babysitter you usually send to? Can you send the baby to a prepesach camp? There are tons of those advertised on my neighborhood. No one will be surprised you need your baby out of the house...having a few minor procedures on my family, 100% you should be there for your husband.


She does go to playgroup, but surgery is scheduled for 2pm, I doubt we'll be home before 8-9, giving recovery and traveling
Back to top

tichellady




 
 
    
 

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 10:41 pm
What does he want? Why don’t you decide together?
Back to top

Tzutzie




 
 
    
 

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 12:07 am
I understand your dilema.
But imo, send her out. It won't make a difference for her in the long run, even in the short run, she'll probably enjoy it. And be totally OK. But you need to be there for your husband. Even if it's just a "minor" surgery. You are his wife. It's just how life works (or should work).
Back to top

essie14




 
 
    
 

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 12:39 am
Send her out or get a babysitter to pick her up and stay with her in your home. You should be there for DH.
Back to top

GLUE




 
 
    
 

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 12:41 am
How far away is the place?
Can you drive him there come home and then come back to pick him up?

I have done this a few times.
Back to top

ProudJew




 
 
    
 

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 1:31 am
You should 100% be there for your husband. BUT you cannot dump your baby on family/friends for 5-6 hrs right before pesach with no explanation. Only other option is to hire someone to come babysit.
Back to top

Chasidishlitvak




 
 
    
 

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 1:44 am
I would feel you should be there for DH if possible.
However, my DH asked me not to come for a minor procedure as it would have been diffiult to work out (I was also post pardom).
He also begged me not to come when he had to travel for pre-op for a major procedure as he felt it would be hard for me. Yes I went for the procedure and recovery.
Back to top

rim




 
 
    
 

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 2:38 am
So many high school girls are off. Maybe someone can come play with your baby or take her out to the park. You don’t have to say why. Just that you have an appointment a little distance away and it’ll take a few hours .
Back to top

teachkids




 
 
    
 

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 4:07 am
I would drop him off and then hire a babysitter at home just for the time after
Back to top

The Happy Wife




 
 
    
 

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 7:22 am
I think plan A would be to find a babysitter.

If you can't find a babysitter, I would bring your child. Bring snacks and activities like you would if you were flying. It's hard to be pulled in two different directions but it's doable.
Back to top

happy chick




 
 
    
 

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 7:30 am
I agree with hiring a high school /sem girl to babysit. Especially if you think you'll be out past her bedtime, you certainly don't want to be dealing with a cranky toddler.
Back to top
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics




Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Unique gift for nerdy husband
by amother
9 Today at 6:38 am View last post
My husband makes everything worse.
by amother
7 Yesterday at 11:51 pm View last post
If your child refuses to eat...
by amother
8 Yesterday at 8:23 pm View last post
Conceived via IVF on child's health history?
by amother
13 Yesterday at 2:30 am View last post
Pacifier dilemma
by amother
6 Yesterday at 12:01 am View last post