Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Has anyone tried Pomegranate?
1  2  Next

Kumphort

Post Thu, Aug 21 2008, 1:07 pm
The new supermarkets?
What do you have to say about it?

Fabulous

Post Thu, Aug 21 2008, 1:20 pm
It's open already? Since when?

Helani

Post Thu, Aug 21 2008, 1:27 pm
My mother in law went on the opening day . she said it's really nice but expensive.

Twizzlers

Post Thu, Aug 21 2008, 1:48 pm
LOL I was gonna start a post about it but you guys beat me to it.

it does seem to be laid out nicely, with wide aisles, and wide aisles by the checkout counters too (usually double strollers have to go all the way around cuz they dont fit thru).

on some items the prices are normal, however because they have a variety of different brands, its easy to get confused and pick the most expensive one by mistake. for example, I picked up 5 small foil tins; the sticker on the shelf said 5 for $1 or something like that...when I got to the checkout, the girl said "oh, u know these are $1 per peice, right? shock " apparently, I picked up the wrong ones. in kollel store for example, they are ALL 5 for $1...so its very easy to fall into traps like that which is why I will not frequent this store unless I am desperate or have no other option.

the parking lot is nice, however because both the entrance and exit are on ave L, that block is going to become a major traffic mess....even worse because of the yeshiva right there. so I will be steering clear of that entire area.

sbs

Post Thu, Aug 21 2008, 3:26 pm
I checked it out, I found that average dairy products, yogurts, cheese, eggs, canned goods, pastas, etc... were about 20 cents more expensive than other stores.
their takeout is much more expensive cuz they don't have the typical stuff, everything's exotic and handmade.
fish was 3-5 dollars more per lb. than a regular fish store.
I would go if there was something particular that I was looking for that's exotic and different, cuz they have all that kind of stuff, but just for every day shopping, I'll stick with kollel store.

MinnieMa

Post Thu, Aug 21 2008, 3:58 pm
I went there. It's a beautiful store. I usually shop in glatt mart and prices aren't so off. You have to know your prices. Truth is you pay to shop like a queen. sometimes it's worth it!!

soz85

Post Thu, Aug 21 2008, 4:29 pm
my husband has been working there for over a yr and over the past few weeks they've been training in the chefs for the takeout section and he's been bringing me home samples to taste and the food is really good. I went on opening day and walked around the store and the prices are more expensive than my regular grocery so I wouldn't shop there only if I needed something exotic that my local grocery doesn't sell.

shoy18

Post Thu, Aug 21 2008, 4:53 pm
I went today, the prices on regular products are just like glatt mart or landaus, obviously the specialty items are more expensive. It was wonderful to shop in such a nice store that sells everything.

his_sweety

Post Thu, Aug 21 2008, 6:11 pm
It is very upsetting to me that people make up stories.
I know it's under new owners and everything is different and brand new, however the prices are EXACT the same as kosher discount supermarket. (my sister did the pricing for KDS and now for pomegranate, she is mad about the rumors flying that it is expensive when it is NOT)

debsters1101

Post Thu, Aug 21 2008, 6:24 pm
$1.99 for yogurt? if KDS has those kinds of prices, well then it's expensive too. Personally, I go all the way from Queens to Brachs in Lawrence because the store is humongous, has everything, and great prices!!

Twizzlers

Post Thu, Aug 21 2008, 7:49 pm
his_sweety wrote:
It is very upsetting to me that people make up stories.
I know it's under new owners and everything is different and brand new, however the prices are EXACT the same as kosher discount supermarket. (my sister did the pricing for KDS and now for pomegranate, she is mad about the rumors flying that it is expensive when it is NOT)

rumors?? I was there 2 days ago....a bag of super snacks was .65!!! u want to tell me thats not expensive? I have never seen it over .50 and in most places its .35

no one is making up stories. go yourself and compare.

PIP

Post Thu, Aug 21 2008, 7:58 pm
sliced mehadrin cheese- 17.99, moishas has it for 1599
eggs 1.99
klien ice cream- 7.79
Butter was CHEAP!!! 3.99!!
plastic tbclths 11.39
fruity pebbles 4.19
cream cheese 4.09
Tropicana OJ- 3.99
steak- 12.00 a lb

I think it's more expensive on select items, not crazy more expensive, but definately more expensive. Some things weren't a lot like the flour, butter, noodles. My DH went he said it was really nice. He said it's instead of going to shop rite. I think I would pop in every so often, but I'd be careful what I bought. He said the meat looks excellent too.

MinnieMa

Post Thu, Aug 21 2008, 8:02 pm
I just bought super snacks there today and they were 39 cents not 65 cents. I think over the days they changed some prices. Maybe they realized some things were really too high. THe first day they opened milk was 3.19- Today it was 2.99

Maybe people who say they are very expensive they are comparing it to Moshes or the kollel store. COmpared to glatt mart, Landaus and plenty of other stores they are the same in some things a little over in others. You pay for where you shop. It's a gorgeous place.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Aug 21 2008, 8:10 pm
It's supposed to be an upper class supermarket. You pay a price for that too I guess.

soz85

Post Thu, Aug 21 2008, 8:13 pm
I only looked at the prices of things that I buy very regularly like 1/2 gallon of milk was $3 when I normally pay $2.75, givat yogurt was 69c when I usally pay 50c, baby jars were 79c when I pay 65c. The difference in price is not so much but everything adds up.

shopaholic

Post Fri, Aug 22 2008, 1:20 am
I heard it's beautiful & well stocked. KDS had high prices too. I stopped shopping there once I realized.

Kmommy18

Post Fri, Aug 22 2008, 11:43 am
I went there last night.... when I first walked in, I was really impressed. It's a beautiful store and looks clean and easy to shop in. Well I started filling up my cart and by the time it was 1/3 of the way full, I realized everthing in there already added up to about $200!!! Granted the fish was very pricey and I didn't realize till the guy had already cut it up for me... But still. I still had a lot of shopping to do and I was NOT going to spend that much more money... So I just abandoned my cart and went to Shoprite like I always do. I like that Pomogranate is only a block away from me, but I can't see myself shopping there unless it's like for one emergency item. They are just way to pricey for me.

mom21n2

Post Fri, Aug 22 2008, 1:12 pm
I really hate the idea of paying too much for groceries. OTOH, I really hate shopping in dirty stores where spoiled food is sold regularly, just because I need kosher food. I really hope Pomegranate prospers and that we can all afford to shop there.

his_sweety

Post Fri, Aug 22 2008, 1:13 pm
[quote="Kmommy18"]I still had a lot of shopping to do and I was NOT going to spend that much more money... So I just abandoned my cart and went to Shoprite like I always do. quote]

That is nasty!

elmofood

Post Fri, Aug 22 2008, 2:03 pm
amazing store. why all the debate about how expensive. you get what you pay for! either you shop there or you dont.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries