Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Do you sell breadcrumbs and bags of flour?
Previous  1  2

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 3:54 pm
amother OP wrote:
We have like 5 bags of each and I dread throwing it out esp since money is tight and it upsets DH to waste, and have no one to donate to because I can't get anywhere right now. Just curious how common it is to sell mamash chametz.

The OU says flour can be sold even by those who don't sell chometz.

amother
Peony

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 4:19 pm
Flour yes, breadcrumbs no. To my surprise and joy, neither flour nor pearl barley is chametz gamur, so I sell both. Breadcrumbs, OTOH, are. I go according to the OU, which assurs selling chametz gamur except for whiskey, and that only for those who have the custom of selling whiskey. The rules are different if you're a business, since destroying all your chametz gamur could be economically disastrous. In that case, OU would allow selling your stock lenochri. I think this may be where ppl get the idea that you should sell your whiskey even if you don't sell anything else. In Eastern Europe from about the 1600s forward, maybe even earlier, Jews were often innkeepers/pub managers. Destroying their stock of whiskey would have left them destitute. That half-empty bottle of Glenfiddich that you got for Purim from your brother-in-law, less so. We don't keep whiskey around-- interpret that any way you like--so it's not an issue.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics