Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Best way to pack things
Previous  1  2

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 2:18 pm
lovecouches wrote:
It's matza that I ground up in my food processor. It'd just expensive and I dont use it during the year that much. I still have leftover from last pesach that I had made chametz

If you don't eat gebrokts, freezing it is a problem because it gets water in it.

zaq

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 2:20 pm
Matzah products go stale. Worse than that, they can harbor wildlife. I'll never forget the year I found an entire bug farm in the matzah meal I had so thriftily put away for the next year, and that included the sealed plastic packages as well as the glass jars.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 2:23 pm
I would only keep things that I can't use during the year, namely potato starch.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 2:31 pm
lovecouches wrote:
Does anyone know about matza meal that I made from leftover matza? Is there a way to save it? I don't use it enough during the year.

You may wrap it very well and store in the *freezer*.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 2:33 pm
zaq wrote:
Matzah products go stale. Worse than that, they can harbor wildlife. I'll never forget the year I found an entire bug farm in the matzah meal I had so thriftily put away for the next year, and that included the sealed plastic packages as well as the glass jars.

Matza meal must be stored in the freezer only.

lovecouches

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 2:35 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Matza meal must be stored in the freezer only.

How would you wrap it?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 2:37 pm
amother Dodgerblue wrote:
If you don't eat gebrokts, freezing it is a problem because it gets water in it.

We don't eat gebrockt and I have stored unopened Matza in the freezer with 100% success. They were frozen right after the Chag and there was zero humidity as it was completely dry. The outside of the package had humidity on it but they were very well wrapped in aluminium foil plus plastic wrap. There was NO humidity inside the package it all.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 2:39 pm
lovecouches wrote:
How would you wrap it?

I wrap in aluminium foil plus plastic cling film plus a clear note of what it is.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 2:47 pm
amother OP wrote:
1. Spices
2. Nuts
3. Open oils - not sure if I can put away olive oil, avocado oil

I don't save spices as they lose their freshness. I buy them smallest package possible every year.
Nuts: in the freezer only.
I have saved *unopened* walnut oil for a year but it was in the fridge AND it was within the exp date. I still have one unopened bottle but I'm not saving it for another year because of the exp date.
Opened oils shouldn't be saved from ones year to the other. They go rancid.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 2:53 pm
amother Honeydew wrote:
Can I add to this - what about sealed bags of potato starch, open confectioners sugar, open cocoa, stated oil spray, sealed spices? Thanks!

Potato starch shouldn't be a problem.
Preferably cool and dark.
What is stated oil spray?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 3:02 pm
Baking soda and baking powder: check exp date and wrap tightly and well. Store in a cool and dark place.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 6:59 pm
I saved spices once - I taped the covers closed and put it in a ziplock and put the ziplock in the pesach boxes. When I opened them the next year, there was webbing inside. It was gross!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics