Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Long maternity leave--wwyd?

amother

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 6:23 pm
I live in a country where employers are required to grant a long maternity leave (14 weeks), which is paid for primarily by the government. I'm currently on maternity leave, going into week 12. It sounds great, and is great, but I'm concerned about the effect this could have in the long term. Usually employees in my workplace can get one week or maybe (but probably not) two of unpaid vacation each year, plus shifts off for illness or whenever someone else is willing to cover. And here I am, after less than 2 years there, taking 14 weeks.

I've been getting pressure to come back as quickly as I can since day #1. I love my job, but I want to stay with the kids full-time as long as possible, but now I'm starting to be afraid that in the future they won't offer me more hours because I might do this again in another 2 years or less (I already lost a few weekly hours during my leave... I was warned months ago that the hours would be temporary, but I think if I hadn't left for 3 months I would still have them). Even if the bosses try to be fair, won't they on some level try to avoid relying on one of the only staffers who is female and in her child-bearing years (me)? Especially when I'm clearly religious... I feel like maybe I should go back a bit early to show I'm a "team player" or whatever, but if I do I'll basically be working for free... but maybe it's worth it if in the long term they'll decide to rely on me more... I don't know what to do. Any advice?

Marion

Post Tue, Aug 26 2008, 2:37 pm
I know that in Israel if you work during your mat leave you forfeit the ENTIRE leave payment from Bituach Leumi.

Your employer is not allowed to pressure you to return early, and you are not obligated either. And if any of your colleagues say something about how long you've been off, tell them it was mat leave, something you are entitled to by law. Vacation time is NOT the same thing.

ETA: 14 weeks is NOT a long time. Most infants are not even on a schedule by then, nor sleeping through the night. A year is a long time. (Yes, Canada gives a year of mat leave, at 50% salary.)

Tamiri

Post Tue, Aug 26 2008, 2:39 pm
OP are you saying that you live in one place and work for an employer based in another country?

shalhevet

Post Tue, Aug 26 2008, 2:52 pm
If you are in Israel don't forget men have miluim (army reserve duty) every year.

I have worked for several employers, and I have friends who worked for others, and I have learned one thing from experience. Whether or not you do all these 'extras' and go in when you are sick, when you are not entitled to payment, as a big favour, does absolutely nothing. An employer keeps an employee because they do their job well, even if they take extra holiday and sick days. And gets rid of them if he doesn't like their work even if they work 20 extra hours a day.

I had something similar. In my previous job I asked to extend my maternity leave by an extra month (without pay, as is possible by Israeli law). The principal put a lot of pressure on me to come back and so I did as soon as my compulsory leave was over. The next year I begged for earlier hours in the timetable, but nothing had changed.

Moral: if you do your job well no one will remember or care that you came back two weeks earlier (except you and your baby).

momatwork

Post Tue, Aug 26 2008, 2:56 pm
First, only look at the wellbeing of your children. Then comes your job. Are you going to have a sitter at home or take the kids to a sitter? It isnt easy making all arrangements,but once everything is settled, There is nothing like going to work and airing out a bit.

Strudel

Post Tue, Aug 26 2008, 3:38 pm
Your kids come first. I was shocked after moving from the UK to the US how short mat leave is here. It the hospital I worked in you only got 6 to 8 weeks. Women worked on their due date in order to maximize their leave after having the baby. Some of them looked awful.

I know in the UK there are laws to protect mothers from losing their jobs after having a baby. If things do get difficult, remind them that you know yoour legal rights.

catonmylap

Post Tue, Aug 26 2008, 3:45 pm
Isn't there a "new" law where your dh can take your maternity leave after you've taken the first 6 weeks? You could look into that. I heard it can be a bit hard to actually coordinate with the bureaucracy, but if it works with your dh and his work, that could be a option for you.

mimsy7420

Post Tue, Aug 26 2008, 5:39 pm
Family comes first and foremost - your employer is under legal obligation to understand that. They can't fire you for taking your alloted maternity leave and they can't fire you or "hold you back" for being in your childbearing years - it's illegal!!

amother

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 7:58 am
in england you have 26 weeks paid (the first 6 weeks 90% of your regular earnings and the next 20 weeks either 90% or a standard amount - this year £117.00) then you can legally take another 26 weeks if you need it and depending on how long you were working at your place you can get about 13 weeks of it paid like the 20 weeks before. in total thats a full year leave of which 39 weeks are paid, and you get it even if you are leaving your job - not coming back at the end of the leave (the government pays most of it!!!)

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 8:02 am
I took 6 months once instead of just 14 weeks. and I was in a very "important" job. No problem. They are not allowed by law, to fire you (in Israel) for an entire year after giving birth, I believe. And, like Shalhevet says - if they like the work you do they should be interested in keeping you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics