Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
College Help / Advice

wanderer

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 5:02 pm
I'm embarrassed to say this, but I do not know the first thing about applying, paying, deciding, entering college. I'm very interested in getting a degree in the computer field but do not know the first thing of how to go about it.

Can anyone please help me? Point me in right direction?

SingALong

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 5:14 pm
look up colleges in your area and go online to their websites and see what degrees they offer. usually they will have a computer department that you can call and speak to someone, ask what requirements are needed.

as for paying, there is usually a financial aid office to help you with forms and scholarships.

usually u need to take a few core courses like math, science, history, etc. and then some specialty courses specific to your degree.

in brooklyn u have touro, brooklyn college, CUNY downstate, and you can google online you may find more. these offer bachelors and masters degrees in a variety of subjects.

if you just want an associates degree, less credits, less time, cheaper, but not as valued as BA or MA, than it may be worth it to go to a community college like kingsborough.

good luck!

wanderer

Post Tue, Aug 26 2008, 9:21 am
OK, so I called touro, but they weren't too helpful.

Has anyone here gone to college w/ financial aid? How did it work?

manhattanmom

Post Tue, Aug 26 2008, 9:29 am
You have to know what type of learning setting you'd like.
Do you want a frum all girl's program?
Do you want a "cheaper" CUNY program--which will require much more coursework as far as attending classes on a strict schedule in a secular environment?
Do you want a basic level degree (like an associate's) or do you want to go all the way up?
Do you want to have the option to complete a lot of your coursework online or without going to as many classes?

If you are first starting, I'd suggest you take it slow just so you could determine what you could handle--a community college will probably be your best bet for that--because you could make yourself a more relaxed schedule at first--and there are a nice number of frum people in Kingsboro.

manhattanmom

Post Tue, Aug 26 2008, 9:30 am
financial aid is at fafsa.gov

wanderer

Post Tue, Aug 26 2008, 9:36 am
Thanks, I'm checking it out right now. Is it too late to begin now for the next semester?

Mitzvahmom

Post Tue, Aug 26 2008, 9:40 am
It's not too late, but it could take about a month for financial aid to kick in.. So expect to shell out around $80 (for one book), and hopefully financial aid can reimburse once your approved..

Be prepared to go to the class even though your not physically registered, and beg to be let in. But classes started this week, so dafka u have to go today!

wanderer

Post Tue, Aug 26 2008, 9:45 am
Is there like a college consultant or someone I could talk to sort this all out? I haven't been on college scene at all, and totally not familiar with it.

Mitzvahmom

Post Tue, Aug 26 2008, 10:06 am
um.. Not sure how to help you..

YOu have your high school diploma right?
Best thing is to make an appointment at a college with an advisor and see where everything lays.. Most will require some sort of testing, to figure out where you hold with math and english etc...

manhattanmom

Post Tue, Aug 26 2008, 10:22 am
smile:) wrote:
Thanks, I'm checking it out right now. Is it too late to begin now for the next semester?

When you apply for fafsa (which is government financial aid based on your income) you can apply until May for the current school year and then get your money back retroactively from the previous September!!)

dr pepper

Post Tue, Aug 26 2008, 7:06 pm
I'm pretty sure that each school has a limited amount that they give out to people in need of financial aid, and it's on a first come first serve basis. If you fill out the FAFSA in April, your college might not have the grant money left to give you. So even though they say you have time, you should fill it out asap!

I think maybe if you qualify for a pell grant you can automatically get that, but it doesn't cover all expenses and a lot of times the school will give you additional scholarships if you apply early.

Also, there might be a seperate application for state financial aid.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries