Home
Log in / Sign Up
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Why do you buy brand names or knock offs?
Previous  1  2  3  4



Post new topic   Reply to topic View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother
Azalea


 

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 7:31 pm
amother DarkPurple wrote:
False. Celebrities who tend to be of the super wealthy will wear labels.


Celebrities are often tacky. She’s talking about old money.
Back to top

amother
Tulip


 

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 7:59 pm
amother Lightpink wrote:
Depends so much on the individual. I have clients in the top 1% and some are walking labels (usually the middle age or younger Asian crowd or new money) and others are much more quiet. For example, one client is 68 and he doesn't come to me - I travel to one of his homes. His properties are incredible estates. His staff is top notch. Beautiful, luxury cars. When I meet him, he's usually covered in dirt from his greenhouse and wearing a cheap gardeners vest that was made in Amsterdam for him 30 years ago. He bought 12 at that time and has worn them passionately since. One time, we took a meeting on his private jet. He was wearing a 30k custom suit, 5k shoes and his watch was worth 500k. You can never really tell who has what in the world of the ultra wealthy unless they deliberately flaunt it. This sweet older man is so humble at home but a beast in the finance world so he dresses the part. I admit that I emulate him and others like that. The loud luxury ones are, in my opinion, cheaper on the whole because of the dependence on labels. Cars, homes, clothing. It never ends and it's never enough. I feel for them but it's almost like a bottomless hole that will never be filled.

What’s your job?
You sound lovely.
Back to top

amother
Lightpink


 

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 8:06 pm
amother Tulip wrote:
What’s your job?
You sound lovely.


Very sweet of you. I am a shareholder in a international law firm. Fancy for partner in a huge firm.
Back to top

amother
Hawthorn


 

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 11:44 pm
I buy knockoffs. Looks like I’m one of the only lol. I also occasionally buy the real stuff - especially when it’s actual clothes (not Chanel or Gucci, more like maxmara or Zimmerman)
I love knockoffs for accessories. I’m not going to spend 2k on a bag, I’ll buy a very real looking fake for under 100.
Yes, it’s shallow of me - and it’s shallow of the person who brought the real one too! Difference is that I still have $1900 to put in the bag 😜
For reference I’m not rich and I’m not poor bh. I can afford the occasional luxury if I wanted it, but I would never want to wear the same bag for years because I spend thousands on it.
I love my collection of designer fakes. I feel like I’m in style and cool and get to laugh that it’s fake when I see someone’s mouth hanging open.
(Like when they compliment my very real looking diamond Cartier watch)
It’s a funny kind of humor I guess, because I’m being a little hypocritical by wearing it and then laughing at the people who are wearing it too…
But I don’t really care all that much. It’s fun to get dressed up, feels good not to break the bank, and funny when people go all gung go and think my stuff is real.
Throw the tomatoes at least I’m honest 🤦‍♀️
Back to top

DrMom




 
 
    
 

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 7:25 am
I usually buy brand names (no fancy designers, just known brands) when it comes to shoes. The non-brand shoes here in Israel are usually very cheaply made, and it's not worth my time to comb through all the cheapo shoes to find something of good quality; it's easier to just go into a store that sells well-made, comfortable shoes (Ecco, Rieker, Teva Naot, Nike, Adidas, On, Naturalizer, Camper, Columbia Sportswear, etc.).

I never buy "designer" shoes because the ROI just isn't there for me.

For clothing, I usually buy in local Israeli stores. Most are not internationally known. Some are very cheap, but they last for me.
Back to top

Aurora




 
 
    
 

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 9:59 am
DrMom wrote:
I usually buy brand names (no fancy designers, just known brands) when it comes to shoes. The non-brand shoes here in Israel are usually very cheaply made, and it's not worth my time to comb through all the cheapo shoes to find something of good quality; it's easier to just go into a store that sells well-made, comfortable shoes (Ecco, Rieker, Teva Naot, Nike, Adidas, On, Naturalizer, Camper, Columbia Sportswear, etc.).

I never buy "designer" shoes because the ROI just isn't there for me.

For clothing, I usually buy in local Israeli stores. Most are not internationally known. Some are very cheap, but they last for me.


This. I found a brand of shoes that works for me and fits my feet? Sticking with them. Shout out to my Skechers.
Back to top

mandr




 
 
    
 

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 10:13 am
I’m pretty sure OP doesn’t call Skechers and Nike (shoes that are almost always less than $100-200) a designer pair of shoes. She means luxury designer. Skechers and Nikes are just quality footwear brands. Nothing designer about them whatsoever.
Back to top

lamplighter




 
 
    
 

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 11:59 am
No one here mentioned wearing designer to fit in or because everyone else does.
I was sure that's the biggest reason, especially for teenagers.
If you buy because the designers last longer- are you buying fewer clothes or less often?
Back to top

amother
Melon


 

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 12:46 pm
Yes to last longer, less often
I have clothes for years, furniture I don’t renovate or redecorate often my stuff is either inherited or designer that lasts you can tell good stuff although stuff is getting cheaper (junkier) made as the years go on.

My kids clothes from carters or gap and only designer for school shoes, shabbos or n for special occasions clothes
Back to top

mandr




 
 
    
 

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 12:49 pm
lamplighter wrote:
No one here mentioned wearing designer to fit in or because everyone else does.
I was sure that's the biggest reason, especially for teenagers.
If you buy because the designers last longer- are you buying fewer clothes or less often?

Ha, you wish! Most designer-happy people need the current style or whatever designer is in at the time. And since styles change seasonally and yearly they are probably not wearing the same coat for longer than 2 years, say. A non-designer coat would've lasted you for two winters just as well. Like first it was Sam coats, but then it was Moose Knuckles and then Mackage or whatever the order was. The woman who bought the Sam coat is probably not still wearing it even though I'm pretty sure it's in great condition. Remember when Lacoste polos were in (like 20 years ago!) and they were like [gasp] $85? I haven't seen people wear them in ages!
Back to top

mandr




 
 
    
 

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 12:51 pm
amother Melon wrote:
Yes to last longer, less often
I have clothes for years, furniture I don’t renovate or redecorate often my stuff is either inherited or designer that lasts you can tell good stuff although stuff is getting cheaper (junkier) made as the years go on.

My kids clothes from carters or gap and only designer for school shoes, shabbos or n for special occasions clothes


When you say designer school shoes and shabbos clothing, what exactly are you talking about? Are your kids wearing actual designers? Or do you just mean Jewish store stuff?
Back to top

amother
Stone


 

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 1:38 pm
I didn’t want to post it on the safe haven for designer handbags thread but I need to spit this out. The richest person in the world; richer than Elon Musk is…..,the owner from Luis Vitton. He deserves it because he is a genius who figured out how to get people to give him billions of dollars voluntarily. If I would own a school I would wish to consultant with him.

All designers are here to make you think you need their product while they think all they need is your money.
Back to top

amother
Peachpuff


 

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 11:56 pm
I like expensive fine European brands that you don't see the labels. They are great quality and have this fine look. I only buy on sale. I like: Marmar, Picnik, JacadiLittle Cozmo, Huxbaby, Rylee and cru, Popelin for kids.... I buy little legs, H and M, and Zara just as much.

I happen to like some brands such as Karl Lagerfeld, just because I love the style. I own a Michelle watch too. I wear my things for years...

And lol if it counts, polo ralph lauren's bear collection is adorable! I buy it crazy cheap because that bear is so endearing fun and cute LOL
Back to top
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics




Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Need a business idea / buy a business
by amother
6 Yesterday at 7:43 pm View last post
Where to buy
by amother
4 Yesterday at 2:04 pm View last post
Would you buy from divorced couple
by amother
58 Yesterday at 12:11 pm View last post
If want to make hot pastrami for shabbos which should I buy?
by amother
13 Thu, May 16 2024, 10:25 pm View last post
Helium filled balloons - would you buy?
by amother
1 Thu, May 16 2024, 8:53 pm View last post