Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Sourdough challah vs non sourdough
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 5:58 pm
is sourdough challah only from water salt and flour?

why does non sourdough need eggs oil and so much sugar?

amother
Buttercup

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 6:24 pm
It's more like cake with a sweeter taste. Different things

amother
Hyssop

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 6:26 pm
It's very different types of dough. Challah is an enriched dough meaning it has fat and eggs. Sourdough isn't enriched at all.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 6:46 pm
amother Hyssop wrote:
It's very different types of dough. Challah is an enriched dough meaning it has fat and eggs. Sourdough isn't enriched at all.

but sourdough challah is meant to be delicious.

who needs enriched challah?

is sourdough challah the same as sourdough bread?

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 6:48 pm
The sourdough loaves that are popular now as challah are called country loaves, it's really what used to be simple everyday bread before bakers yeast was invented.

Sourdough is a method of getting dough to rise, and it can be used in other doughs as well. The challah we know with eggs oil and sweetner is an enriched dough, probably similar to brioche dough. It can be made using sourdough, or bakers yeast.

There are people who make sourdough challah braided loaves today with an enriched dough. But most people do the country loaves.

Comptroller

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 7:49 pm
amother OP wrote:
but sourdough challah is meant to be delicious.

is sourdough challah the same as sourdough bread?

My minhag is to eat sourdough rye whole grain bread during the week and challa made of white wheat flour with yeast on shabbat. For the yeast, it is generally necessary to add sugar, but I don't add so much sugar that the challah tastes sweet.

I don't understand this sourdough challah fashion.

I tried to make challah fom sourdough, it does not really work, sourdough does not really lend itself to braiding.

this said, when I have leftover sourdough starter, I might well put it in the challah dough, just like that, without really taking it into account, and the challah will not be worse for it.

mizle10

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 8:22 pm
[quote="amother OP"]but sourdough challah is meant to be delicious.

is sourdough challah the same as sourdough bread?[/quote]

Yes

amother
NeonBlue

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 8:45 pm
Many people taka find regular challah way too sweet after getting used to sourdough.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 8:46 pm
You can make water challah without eggs and sugar. It's not all or nothing.

amother
Buttercup

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 8:46 pm
I bake sourdough every week and we eat it warm with parve butter it is so so delicous

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 8:49 pm
challah is rich. it has a lot of eggs, oil and sugar. most bread isn't like that.

amother
Diamond

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 8:51 pm
Comptroller wrote:
My minhag is to eat sourdough rye whole grain bread during the week and challa made of white wheat flour with yeast on shabbat. For the yeast, it is generally necessary to add sugar, but I don't add so much sugar that the challah tastes sweet.

I tried to make challah fom sourdough, it does not really work, sourdough does not really lend itself to braiding.

this said, when I have leftover sourdough starter, I might well put it in the challah dough, just like that, without really taking it into account, and the challah will not be worse for it.

Homegrown kosher, if I'm remembering correctly, has a sourdough challa recipe. I make it every week and braid it. It comes out gorgeous and delicious every time! You can definitely braid sourdough.

amother
Chestnut

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 8:52 pm
Comptroller wrote:

What does it mean that it’s your minhag to eat sourdough during the week and yeast challah on shabbos? Is that a real minhag? Or something you decided for yourself?

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 8:58 pm
amother NeonOrange wrote:
You can make water challah without eggs and sugar. It's not all or nothing.

is water challah basically braided bread?

Comptroller

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 9:01 pm
amother Chestnut wrote:
What does it mean that it’s your minhag to eat sourdough during the week and yeast challah on shabbos? Is that a real minhag? Or something you decided for yourself?

No. That's the way it has always been done over the centuries, in countries where sourdough bread has always been available: dark sourdough bread during the week, and on shabbos white challah...

Now, the world went upside down, first by eating white bread during the week, and now, recently, by starting a sourdough challah fashion, which by the way was generally without rye flour...

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 9:04 pm
Comptroller wrote:
No. That's the way it has always been done over the centuries, in countries where sourdough bread has always been available: dark sourdough bread during the week, and on shabbos white challah...

Now, the world went upside down, first by eating white bread during the week, and now, recently, by starting a sourdough challah fashion, which by the way was generally without rye flour...

in the olden times there was no yeast.

so they had dark sourdough during the week and white sourdough on shabbos?

Comptroller

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 9:05 pm
amother Diamond wrote:
Homegrown kosher, if I'm remembering correctly, has a sourdough challa recipe. I make it every week and braid it. It comes out gorgeous and delicious every time! You can definitely braid sourdough.

It's probably not with rye flour. Rye has less gluten and therefore does not lend itself to braiding. Test it out. But it makes a wonderful, sour-tasting sourdough.

Comptroller

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 9:06 pm
amother OP wrote:
in the olden times there was no yeast.

so they had dark sourdough during the week and white sourdough on shabbos?

Yeast has been there since there was beer.

Again: dark sourdough rye bread during the week and white wheat & yeast challah on shabbos.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 9:07 pm
amother OP wrote:
is water challah basically braided bread?

I guess?

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 9:07 pm
Comptroller wrote:
Yeast has been there since there was beer.

Again: dark sourdough rye bread during the week and white wheat & yeast challah on shabbos.

wasnt einkorn the most ancient wheat?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics