Home
Log in / Sign Up
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
FYI Lag BaOmer in Meron cancelled this year.
Previous  1  2



Post new topic   Reply to topic View latest: 24h 48h 72h

giftedmom




 
 
    
 

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 6:47 am
amother Cappuccino wrote:
Do we think people are going to listen?
I'm having memories of when Ukraine said no Uman for Rosh Hashana because of the war.
So everyone was sneaking into borders. And we got pictures of 6 year olds sleeping on the ground at the Moldavian border or something.

lol breslov is a whole nother kettle of fish. They are ready to die to be there. No one is risking their life for Meron.
Back to top

amother
Tiffanyblue


 

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 6:51 am
I'm sure that some crazies will show up & fight the police to try to get in.
Back to top

amother
Charcoal


 

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 6:54 am
I think most Americans are not going.
Back to top

Thisisnotmyreal




 
 
    
 

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 7:20 am
amother NeonPurple wrote:
It's really not the end of the world.

You're just not meant to get together a huge part of Klal Yisroel to celebrate except near the Har Habayis when the Beis H was standing or the kosel now.

It's very controvertial but this whole shitck of going is pretty new. there was hardly a minyan a few decades ago.

Nowadays, it's literally turned into an Avoda Zora. People dancing around fires... Ridiculous.

I


This is the most disgusting thing I've read here in a while.
Back to top

amother
Snowdrop


 

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 7:37 am
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:
This is the most disgusting thing I've read here in a while.


It wasn’t phrased nicely but there are sources for not going to Meron on lag baomer. The Chasam Sofer (late 1700’s - early 1800’s) wrote very strong words against the practice. It’s become the thing to do in the last years but not everyone is in favor. There are different reasons for that. In my son’s yeshiva the boys were told that whoever goes shouldn’t bother coming back to yeshiva afterwards. I’m not taking sides just pointing out there’s more than one side.
Back to top

amother
Tiffanyblue


 

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 7:38 am
amother Snowdrop wrote:
It wasn’t phrased nicely but there are sources for not going to Meron on lag baomer. The Chasam Sofer (late 1700’s - early 1800’s) wrote very strong words against the practice. It’s become the thing to do in the last years but not everyone is in favor. There are different reasons for that. In my son’s yeshiva the boys were told that whoever goes shouldn’t bother coming back to yeshiva afterwards. I’m not taking sides just pointing out there’s more than one side.


Many yeshiva's don't allow the boys to go, simply because they don't want to take responsibility.
Back to top

amother
Snowdrop


 

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 8:56 am
amother Tiffanyblue wrote:
Many yeshiva's don't allow the boys to go, simply because they don't want to take responsibility.


That’s true but it doesn’t take away from the fact that there are different reasons far greater people than us have said it’s wrong to go, in our generation and going back hundreds of years.
Rabbanim telling their followers not to go and roshei yeshiva telling their students not to go aren’t just concerned with taking responsibility for their physical wellbeing. There are spiritual/ religious reasons too.
Back to top

a2z




 
 
    
 

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 10:28 pm
amother Snowdrop wrote:
That’s true but it doesn’t take away from the fact that there are different reasons far greater people than us have said it’s wrong to go, in our generation and going back hundreds of years.
Rabbanim telling their followers not to go and roshei yeshiva telling their students not to go aren’t just concerned with taking responsibility for their physical wellbeing. There are spiritual/ religious reasons too.


Tznius?????
Back to top

amother
Mistyrose


 

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 10:32 pm
I'm sure there will be a large presence of police and banning of buses etc. anywhere near, that will prevent people from "going anyway".

Let's hope it all ends safely.
Back to top

amother
Bone


 

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 12:28 am
amother Tiffanyblue wrote:
Many yeshiva's don't allow the boys to go, simply because they don't want to take responsibility.


No, there are some yeshivos is the litvish world that don't ascribe any value in going to meron on lag baomer. There are some who doubt that rav Shimon bar yochi is buried there. There are many opinions on the matter, and everyone can express their opinions, that's not offensive. We are so following very big gedolim. Let's respect each other.
Back to top

Bnei Berak 10




 
 
    
 

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 1:43 am
Reality wrote:
I think this time people will listen. They are having the bonfire in Beit Shemesh instead. Over 30,000 people are expected to come.

Now this is interesting. Perhaps an alternative location for the years to come. After all, Meron is totally overcrowded on that day, not to mention the travel distance.
Back to top
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics




Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days

Related Topics Replies Last Post
5 year old saw in the mikvah what do I say??
by amother
20 Today at 5:20 am View last post
[ Poll ] Would you say no your ADHD almost 12 year old 95% of the tim
by amother
28 Today at 4:34 am View last post
5 year old dentist anxiety HELP
by amother
4 Today at 12:05 am View last post
5 year old constantly spilling food 1 Tue, Jun 11 2024, 5:39 am View last post
Gift for 2 year old
by amother
3 Mon, Jun 10 2024, 5:48 pm View last post