Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
13 yr old DS wants an e-bike

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 1:33 pm
We were going to buy him an electric scooter to get to Minyan and bike. All the boys here (out of town) ride around on electric scooters, but he is insisting he would much prefer an electric bike. He would be riding mostly on sidewalks and empty streets and insists he wouldn't ride it any faster than a regular bike. I've seen conflicting info about safety (it seems to be mostly an issue when it's used for riding on roads with traffic). Does anyone have info on this?

amother
Bone

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 1:59 pm
Both are unsafe. But I believe a bike is even more dangerous because it goes faster than a scooter. So if you really feel like you need to get him one, get the scooter. 13 year olds are stupid and impulsive, that’s just nature. I would be scared.

small bean

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 2:18 pm
My son has one. Unless you're riding without any speed, you're not using it as a regular bike.

For me, my son is extremely cautious and I'm not worried, anymore then I am when he's doing other things. If he's not afraid of it even a little bit, I'd be nervous to give it to him.

amother
Maize

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 2:21 pm
I don't think he should be riding that on the sidewalk... Although you probably don't want him riding in the street yet either.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 2:22 pm
My DS wanted one too. We did not get him one. If he wanted, we would have gotten him an expensive regular bike. He didn't want, so he walks all over, even for an hour plus. Yes, all boys here have one, but no, we are not compromising on his safety.

There's nowhere to ride them on sidewalks (besides it's illegal). On the street, the kids don't know the basics of driving rules and are a danger to themselves and to all the cars on the road. In addition, charging these bikes is a fire hazard. Hatzala here has come out against them altogether. We're not fans.

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 2:41 pm
I never understood these electric scooters and bikes. There are people on the sidewalks and my toddler was knocked down by one. Miraculously her head hit the grass and not the pavement or her story would have a very different ending. The thud from her fall was terrifying. I don't understand who can take responsibility for driving something like that on the sidewalk. Go drive on the street and at least if u hit something it'll be a car and you'll hurt yourself, not a baby! These things should be illegal on sidewalks.

amother
Clematis

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 2:50 pm
amother Honeydew wrote:
I never understood these electric scooters and bikes. There are people on the sidewalks and my toddler was knocked down by one. Miraculously her head hit the grass and not the pavement or her story would have a very different ending. The thud from her fall was terrifying. I don't understand who can take responsibility for driving something like that on the sidewalk. Go drive on the street and at least if u hit something it'll be a car and you'll hurt yourself, not a baby! These things should be illegal on sidewalks.

I know someone who had a brain bleed after being hit by one of these kids on e scooters

syrima

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 3:23 pm
Just say no. That's what we did

AlwaysGrateful

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 4:06 pm
I'm sorry, why do kids suddenly need cars to get to minyan? Why can't they get there the old fashioned way? Walking, biking...

That's what my boys do. We do have a shul that is nearby, but there are plenty of times that they want to go to shul at a different time. Most of the time I'm not available to drive them. So they get there the same way they would if it was Shabbos. They make sure they leave themselves enough time to get there, even if it means leaving 15 or 20 minutes beforehand. It's a great way to build responsibility. And kids (used to?) like biking places, so it's not like we're forcing them to do something that's intrinsically a miserable chore.

Are kids so fragile nowadays that they can't walk or bike? Why do they need a car-by-a-different-name?

ETA: This is not aimed at OP specificially. Just at this new trend and the attitude that teenage boys "need" to have electronic devices so they don't need to put forth any energy to get to shul, otherwise how will they get to minyan?

amother
Offwhite

Post Sat, May 18 2024, 1:37 pm
I don't know where you are, but most states have a minimum age of 16 for e-bikes.

I'd he's not going to ride it any faster than a regular bike, let him ride a regular bike and get the exercise.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sat, May 18 2024, 2:11 pm
My husband has an e bike. He is very cautious. He rides on the road and will be very careful not to overtake or ride recklessly. He takes it to the fixerman to get checked for brakes and the tires.

Wouldn't recommend for a teenager.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sat, May 18 2024, 2:40 pm
After too many accidents, in Israel you need to be age 16 and pass a theory test before riding an ebike. Ebikes are not allowed on sidewalks. There's a reason for that. My cousin was hit by an ebike driven by a 13 yr old on the sidewalk at what is considered a slow speed for an ebike. She "only" broke both legs, an arm and 2 ribs.

amother
Pewter

Post Sat, May 18 2024, 7:44 pm
My 17 year old has a scooter because he doesn't dorm at yeshiva and I want him to be on time. I would not let a younger teen ride it. It's a scary piece.

amother
Seablue

Post Sat, May 18 2024, 8:51 pm
Nope don’t do it. I was at a red light in Boro park and a Mexican guy on an e-bike bashed right into the back of my car he flipped over was bending over in pain and refused help. I have no clue what happened to him and no idea how he didn’t see my car was stopped at a red light. I think they are incredibly dangerous. I have a 13 yr old too and he’s begging for an electric scooter and for now I won’t be getting one for him. I find them to be way too dangerous.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sat, May 18 2024, 10:16 pm
I think the scooter is more dangerous then the bike

Comptroller

Post Sat, May 18 2024, 11:47 pm
In my city it is forbidden to ride either electrical scooter or electrical bike on the sidewalk, and as a pedestrian, I am very grateful for it. I don't like electrical scooters on the sidewalks, and e-bikes even less, but fortunately, nobody has the idea of riding an e-bike on the sidewalk.

Where I live children pass a "bike exam" just before they turn 12, because from age 12 on they are not allowed to ride a bike on the sidewalk any more, so they have to learn security rules and trafic rules to ride their bike on the street.

I understand that you are afraid of having your son ride his bike on the street, especially if there is lots of trafic, especially if drivers are ruthless. I prefer small streets or places where there is a cycling path and cyclists don't have to use the street at all.

So I suppose your decision will depend on where you live, how automobilists behave there, and whether there are bike paths. And your son should learn trafic rules and security rules.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics