Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
10 month old screaming every night
Previous  1  2

amother
Moonstone

Post Sat, May 18 2024, 9:09 pm
amother Stoneblue wrote:
I didn't try it yet, because my baby is still young but I'm going to try soon. My mother said that I shouldn't be the one going to the baby, rather my husband should be going. Because when he sees me he expects to nurse.

Let a baby be a baby and don’t rush it. You don’t need to sleep train. A baby that is nursed at night is a lucky baby.

amother
Moonstone

Post Sat, May 18 2024, 9:10 pm
amother Thistle wrote:
I didn't read the replies, just the original post, but maybe this book could help?

I noticed a threads bashing the approach. Similarly on Amazon reviews, many love, but some find "cruel". Not trying to change course of posts here, but I'm reading this book, haven't tried it yet though, but wonder if done with sechel, love, patience, & mother's intuition to know when to take breaks, 2 steps forwards one step back, to respect the process, that it might be really helpful:

Twelve Hours' Sleep by Twelve Weeks Old: A Step-by-Step Plan for Baby Sleep Success https://www.amazon.com/dp/0525.....ss_tl

This book is outdated and abusive. Whatever you do, don’t follow this book.

amother
Moonstone

Post Sat, May 18 2024, 9:11 pm
mushkamothers wrote:
This book is the definition of sleep training. It's not even biologically healthy for a 12 week old baby to sleep 12 hours uninterrupted.

This. It’s promoting something that’s is unhealthy for baby. This book shouldn’t be sold anymore.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sat, May 18 2024, 10:21 pm
amother Moonstone wrote:
At 10 months the main source of nutrition is from formula or breastmilk but a baby should be having 3 meals a day of solids along with the formula and breastmilk throughout the day.It’s important at this age especially for iron for babies that are breastfed.
that’s not true. Food is for getting them used to food and textures. Not for nutrition and they are not hungry without it.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sat, May 18 2024, 10:22 pm
amother Stoneblue wrote:
If you're worried about an ear infection or something like that, you can always go to the doctor to check it out to be sure you are in the clear.

If the baby wakes up often because of teething give her Advil. She might be waking up because she's in pain.
. But if baby is in pain then they wouldn’t stop crying when you pick them up

amother
Moonstone

Post Sat, May 18 2024, 10:29 pm
amother Fuchsia wrote:
that’s not true. Food is for getting them used to food and textures. Not for nutrition and they are not hungry without it.

This is false. Formula or breastmilk is the primary source of nutrition but solids is still important from a nutrition stand point in particular in terms of iron. This is especially important for breastfed babies as iron stores can get depleted past 6 months.

amother
Slategray

Post Sat, May 18 2024, 10:53 pm
shachachti wrote:
I thought you were going to say "leading myself to the point of having an 18 year old that doesn't know how to sleep".

Of course you're ok.

This whole sleep training movement is going ten steps back as a society.

Mothers please do what your natural instincts tell you to do. You won't spoil or ruin your kids.

That's funny, cuz my natural instincts told me to sleep train my kids because otherwise both I and they turned into monsters from lack of sleep : )

amother
Slategray

Post Sat, May 18 2024, 10:56 pm
amother Fuchsia wrote:

I used the same argument to my husband when I found that my baby would calm down from me holding them, so I figured it couldn't be teething or ear infections. I was wrong several times, it was indeed an ear infection once and teething some other times, and so we figured there is a natural comfort that babies get from their parents holding them that allows them to calm down even while still in pain.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 12:32 am
amother Fuchsia wrote:

Pain doesn't have to be to be extreme. My baby was also comforted when I picked him up and nursed him. He was still waking up every hour of the night.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 12:36 am
amother Moonstone wrote:
Let a baby be a baby and don’t rush it. You don’t need to sleep train. A baby that is nursed at night is a lucky baby.

If he naturally drops a feeding I don't see the problem. If he can be comforted a different way and hopefully wake up less at night I don't see why I shouldn't at least try.

amother
Steelblue

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 12:39 am
There is a book The No Cry Sleep Solution that works well for babies that are nursed to sleep.

But 10 months old is still very young. I nurse that age back to sleep without a second thought. All of my kids older than 2 now sleep the full night (barring things like sickness or nightmares).

amother
Moonstone

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 6:47 am
amother Steelblue wrote:
There is a book The No Cry Sleep Solution that works well for babies that are nursed to sleep.

But 10 months old is still very young. I nurse that age back to sleep without a second thought. All of my kids older than 2 now sleep the full night (barring things like sickness or nightmares).

This. Elizabeth Pantley’s book is an excellent resource. I would also nurse a 10 month old back to sleep without a second thought.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 7:03 am
amother OP wrote:
I just need reassurance that it’s ok if I don’t sleep train her. I’m surrounded by people who think it’s crazy not to.
She is just really used to being nursed back to sleep when she wakes up crying. Even if it’s an hour after being put to sleep (which she usually goes down nicely) the last few nights I have been trying to put my foot down and just going when she cried and hold her and put her back to the crib. Shes not having it. She calms as soon as I pick her up but screams the minute I put her back down. I tried leaving her for a min or two to just cry but it feels so wrong and I don’t want to do it. On the other hand there is a voice I glean telling me that she’s sooo old to be doing this, I must train her etc.

Was in the same boat. I ended up cosleeping and eventually I moved to a floor single mattress in another room.

I then laid with her to sleep and when she fell asleep I'd leave. In the beginning I'd have to come in 2-3 times a night and even slept with her part of the time. We baby proofed the room and started keeping the door closed with a baby sound monitor. When we started keeping the door closed she started sleeping through the night.

Now she's 2 and we still lay with her to sleep but I feel so much better about that I didn't let her cry.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics