Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Kitchen tile - Ceramic or porcelain

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 18 2024, 10:47 pm
What do you put on kitchen floor? ceramic or porcelain?
Thanks!

amother
Melon

Post Sat, May 18 2024, 11:07 pm
Porcelain is stronger and more durable so I vote for that. That's what I have in my kitchen.

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 18 2024, 11:09 pm
amother Melon wrote:
Porcelain is stronger and more durable so I vote for that. That's what I have in my kitchen.

Thanks is that what they sell in local tile stores like deco tile in Lakewood?

amother
Stoneblue

Post Sat, May 18 2024, 11:12 pm
Porcelain, not ceramic. All tiles in all the main stores will be porcelain.

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 18 2024, 11:18 pm
Thank u!
For bathroom also?
Lowe's and home Depot have both. If I decide to go with a cheaper tile from there to know what to look for

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 3:34 pm
Has anyone put vinyl on their kitchen floor and happy with it? Heard it's easier on the feet...

amother
Melon

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 3:58 pm
Our house is already 8 years old so my info may be outdated. But when I went into deco tile 8 years ago, a large percentage of their tiles were ceramic. Step on me has a lot of options for reasonably priced porcelain tiles. I ended up doing my bathrooms and foyer tiles from step on me and my kitchen tile from takiba. My kitchen tile was a bit more expensive than the other tiles, at $3 s.f. I have no idea what tile prices are like now.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 4:03 pm
amother Melon wrote:
Our house is already 8 years old so my info may be outdated. But when I went into deco tile 8 years ago, a large percentage of their tiles were ceramic. Step on me has a lot of options for reasonably priced porcelain tiles. I ended up doing my bathrooms and foyer tiles from step on me and my kitchen tile from takiba. My kitchen tile was a bit more expensive than the other tiles, at $3 s.f. I have no idea what tile prices are like now.

Thank you what is the difference between ceramic and porcelain (besides price)

amother
Stoneblue

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 4:08 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank u!
For bathroom also?
Lowe's and home Depot have both. If I decide to go with a cheaper tile from there to know what to look for

Ceramic tile is fine for the walls but I wouldn’t put ceramic tile on a floor. It will crack a lot faster than porcelain tile. You can find porcelain tile for very cheap too. You can check out floor and decor in Tom’s River or online. They have many cheap options to choose from!

amother
Melon

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 4:09 pm
Porcelain is stronger and will last longer than ceramic. Ceramic tiles will crack.

Amarante

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 4:17 pm
Porcelain is much more durable than ceramic. Also the color is fired generally all the way through whereas chipped ceramic will look bad.

Porcelain is fired at a much higher temperature and so is much stronger.

The problem with all tile - porcelain, marble, ceramic is that it is harder on the feet and items are much more likely to break if they fall. The harder on the feet issue can be solved by getting one of the ergonomic mats to have where you stand to prep or wash. Also I wear very comfortable shoes in the kitchen as well so I am not actually standing on a hard surface but on the supportive soles of my shoes. They are mules so they slip on and off very easily.

Luxury vinyl tile is an option because it is softer than tile. Make sure that it is made for wet places and installed properly as well

Avoid any kind of laminate floors as they will be destroyed by any moisture.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 4:41 pm
Amarante wrote:
Porcelain is much more durable than ceramic. Also the color is fired generally all the way through whereas chipped ceramic will look bad.

Porcelain is fired at a much higher temperature and so is much stronger.

The problem with all tile - porcelain, marble, ceramic is that it is harder on the feet and items are much more likely to break if they fall. The harder on the feet issue can be solved by getting one of the ergonomic mats to have where you stand to prep or wash. Also I wear very comfortable shoes in the kitchen as well so I am not actually standing on a hard surface but on the supportive soles of my shoes. They are mules so they slip on and off very easily.

Luxury vinyl tile is an option because it is softer than tile. Make sure that it is made for wet places and installed properly as well

Avoid any kind of laminate floors as they will be destroyed by any moisture.

So much helpful information!
Where in Lakewood can I get vinyl that can work in the kitchen and has anyone done it that can tell me how it held up after a few years?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics