Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Guest room or kids own room

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 7:58 am
We have five rooms, 3 kids and one on the way bH. Dh and I have one room, each kid has one room and the last one has been our guestroom. We have our parents and in laws over, as well as other guests at other times. How should I set things up with the new baby- should we no longer have a guest room or should the baby double up with another kid?

Ideally we’d like to add two rooms in the attic but don’t yet have the funds for that.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 8:01 am
Personally I like having official guest rooms. I have five children.
Two boys sleep together.
Two girls sleep together.
Baby is a newborn so still with me

We have two official guest rooms now.

amother
Steel

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 8:02 am
It’s really nice that each kid has their own room but I think it’s very normal for two kids to share a room and to leave one room for guests. I also personally think it’s good for kids to share a room…. My two girls and two boys share a room.

amother
Oleander

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 8:03 am
amother OP wrote:
We have five rooms, 3 kids and one on the way bH. Dh and I have one room, each kid has one room and the last one has been our guestroom. We have our parents and in laws over, as well as other guests at other times. How should I set things up with the new baby- should we no longer have a guest room or should the baby double up with another kid?

Ideally we’d like to add two rooms in the attic but don’t yet have the funds for that.

I personally would double up two of your other kids and have baby have it’s own room once it moves out of your room. And that way be able to keep your guest room. I’m a big advocate of kids sharing rooms with siblings. We have 2-3 kids per room. At one point my oldest was begging for their own room so we repainted the guest room special for that child and gave them their own room. They last approximately two weeks by themselves. They missed sharing a room.

Chayalle

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 8:05 am
I think alot depends on the ages of your children and their needs.
My girls shared a room when they were younger, but after we moved and they were older they each got their own room, with agreement to double up when guests came.

amother
Milk

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 8:11 am
I think its such an important thing to teach your kids to live with another person I mean you are preparing them for life. Dorms marriage etc.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 8:33 am
amother Oleander wrote:
I personally would double up two of your other kids and have baby have it’s own room once it moves out of your room. And that way be able to keep your guest room. I’m a big advocate of kids sharing rooms with siblings. We have 2-3 kids per room. At one point my oldest was begging for their own room so we repainted the guest room special for that child and gave them their own room. They last approximately two weeks by themselves. They missed sharing a room.

I have 2 boys who are opposite personalities. They can’t share a room now. Maybe if they had started when they were younger. Middle one is wild and hyper and bothers the older one who just wants to read. Middle one wakes up at 6:30 am and older one sleeps until his alarm rings.

Then I have one dd

I don’t want dd to share a room with her brothers. Oldest boy is 10 and I don’t think that’s right. Middle boy can be very explorative sxually and I would never let them share a room.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 8:33 am
amother Milk wrote:
I think its such an important thing to teach your kids to live with another person I mean you are preparing them for life. Dorms marriage etc.

BH they are doing well in terms of middos with friends relatives etc

amother
Red

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 8:35 am
amother Milk wrote:

I got along with my sister much better after I didn't have to share a room with her. Just sayin'.

teachkids

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 8:43 am
Depending on daughter's personality, I would discuss with her that there's no room for baby. Would she like to share a room with baby full time or just when you have company? And does she want to move into baby's room when there's company or should baby move into hers?

Could probably also work with oldest boy

amother
Milk

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 8:47 am
amother OP wrote:
BH they are doing well in terms of middos with friends relatives etc

But that’s different than learning to live with someone and sharing your space. Its such an important skill to twach kids to get along even when one wakes up the other and teaching them to be respectful ie not wake up the other. Definitely good for them in the long run but harder on the parent. Its not always possible obviously but I would encourage it and start when kids are little. Maybe put your baby with your daughter or with one of the other kids.

amother
Milk

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 8:47 am
teachkids wrote:
Depending on daughter's personality, I would discuss with her that there's no room for baby. Would she like to share a room with baby full time or just when you have company? And does she want to move into baby's room when there's company or should baby move into hers?

Could probably also work with oldest boy

I don’t believe in asking kids permission you are the parent you make the decisions

amother
Milk

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 8:49 am
amother Red wrote:
I got along with my sister much better after I didn't have to share a room with her. Just sayin'.

I hear that but you still learn to live with someone that annoys you bothers you is on a different schedule gets up before you or goes to sleep after you etc these are priceless life lessons.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 8:51 am
amother Milk wrote:
I don’t believe in asking kids permission you are the parent you make the decisions

You're not asking permission, you're giving choices- you no longer have your own room. How would you like that to look?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 9:04 am
Dd says she’d love to share with the baby

But maybe it will be harder than we think

Will dd wake up early and wake the baby?

She will be 5 when baby is ready to not sleep in my room so it can prob work but I’ve never had kids share so I’m not sure how it will play out

As far as having kids share for middos- I don’t believe in that at all. I shared a room with my sister and fought like cats and dogs. I shared room in camp and seminary and always got along with my roommates. and I get along great with dh. He never shared a room other than camp and yeshiva and is the best dh.

mummiedearest

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 10:42 am
Op, no need to decide now. Keep the baby with you as a newborn. When you’re approaching time to move the baby, decide.

My personal thought is that guest rooms are a waste most of the time. Unless you host weekly, guest rooms go unused the majority of the year. I like to have a dual use guest room- ours is a home office and is used regularly, with a hi riser for when we host. You could potentially set up the room for baby if you choose that, with flexible options- a crib or mini crib on wheels or foldable to make it easy to rearrange things. A hi riser or sofa bed option for guests. Depending on the size of the room, you can get plenty of dual-use furniture options. Futons, sleeper chairs, even sofas that convert into bunk beds. You can move the baby to another room when guests come. If your daughter wants to share, that can work out. It may get old quickly, though, so having another room as an option is great.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics