Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps
Packing to work at sleep away camp

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 7:31 pm
My family bh is going to a sleep away camp this summer for work.
Any tips for packing for those who have done this? Or packing essentials?

amother
Diamond

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 7:35 pm
My in-laws went for many years. I know they always brought with them a mini fridge (unless you’ll have one there), sandwich maker for when kids didn’t like supper, a small urn or hot water kettle, basic pantry staples (rice cakes, Melba toast, crackers etc), tradition soups….
And then all the linen, towels, toiletries, detergents, drying racks
Good luck and have fun!!

amother
Black

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 7:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
My family bh is going to a sleep away camp this summer for work.
Any tips for packing for those who have done this? Or packing essentials?

What’s your access to a washing machine? If you’ll be schlepping to a laundry room find out if you’ll need quarters. A system that worked well for me was using laundry bags to sort my dirty laundry in and then throw it into the washing machine and then dryer and then to pack up the clean laundry to bring back to my bungalow. Being fans to blow on your hanging laundry o otherwise it may never dry. Bring lots of hooks and utilize wall space as much as possible. Assuming you’ll be getting food still bring a Betty Crocker or sandwich maker and urn so you can make back up meals for when you or your kids don’t like the food. I bring instant oatmeal packets, noodle soups etc.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 12:49 pm
amother Black wrote:
What’s your access to a washing machine? If you’ll be schlepping to a laundry room find out if you’ll need quarters. A system that worked well for me was using laundry bags to sort my dirty laundry in and then throw it into the washing machine and then dryer and then to pack up the clean laundry to bring back to my bungalow. Being fans to blow on your hanging laundry o otherwise it may never dry. Bring lots of hooks and utilize wall space as much as possible. Assuming you’ll be getting food still bring a Betty Crocker or sandwich maker and urn so you can make back up meals for when you or your kids don’t like the food. I bring instant oatmeal packets, noodle soups etc.

I have access to a washing machine and dryer.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 12:49 pm
Thanks!! Anyone else have anything to add?

amother
Sunflower

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 1:02 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks!! Anyone else have anything to add?

So much is dependent on where you’ll be working and what age/stage your family is at.

It’s like packing for a bungalow colony but there are some differences. We have experience with both.

Boys camp or girls camp? The details make a difference because you need different items depending on that. For example, if it’s a boys camp you often need more tznius swim clothing depending on the pool mechitzah situation. I can think of many other examples.

What are the meals like? Can you bring food back or are they strict about that? Do you need to go to every meal to get food?

What exactly is the laundry situation? Your own machine or a laundry room? How many families are sharing if it’s a room, and how many machines do they have?

Is there a daycamp there? Otherwise, you’ll want to pack art stuff and lots of extra activities to keep on hand? (Unless it’s a girls camp with a fully stocked arts and crafts room, and only if they let your kids use it sometimes…)

Your best bet is to speak to someone already there. It’s a totally normal thing to reach out to someone you know a bit or ask the camp for a list of staff and whom it would make sense to call about details.

But we can also help you more here if you give us a bit more info. My family has been in 5 camps over many years and have a ton of experience. And I’m sure others here as well.

BH today there are so many camps that I don’t think anyone will figure you out unless you give very specific info.

amother
Sunflower

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 1:20 pm
Some basics to add the list you should think about above:

Pack linen, colder and warmer blankets plus an extra set or two. Camp usually gets messy and you don’t want to be stuck without a set. Bring TONS of towels.

If you have older kids, pack some board games and books. You don’t want to deal with boredom on rainy days. If younger, you’ll need some toys - either solid, hardy stuff that is easily cleanable (think Lego, not playmobil) or junky extras you don’t care about. Camp is rough living for most - things get ruined or lost easily.

Pack extra sweatshirts and more socks than you think you need. Most camps are pretty muddy some of the time.

Find out if kids usually use bikes or scooters. Some camps don’t allow them for liability reasons.

Do NOT bring your kids nicest clothing if you can avoid it. Everything gets ruined and it’s usually only the young newbies who make camp into a fashion show. Most established camp families are SUPER chilled. Even the ones who are more upper class type in the city. Most little kids barely wear Shabbos shoes and live in natives or floafers or slides or whatever is the rage this year.

If you’re in a girls camp (and depending on how established the camp is) - you may want to pack some of your husbands seforim. DH was often frustrated by the lack of certain basics until we learned to bring what he’ll miss having. I would imagine most boys camps have a more fully stocked beis Medrash.

Let me see what else comes to mind over the next few hours…

amother
NeonPurple

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 1:39 pm
Pack linen, towels and sweatshirts in vacuum pack bags. I’ve used xl ones from Amazon.

Find out how much storage you have in your bungalow you may need to use/or find it easier to use plastic drawers for your clothes.

Bring tons of socks double the amount you think you need they somehow always get lost.

If you have little kids on a different schedule than camp meals bring 2 betty Crockers (one milchigs one fleishigs) and save food from the day/meal before and heat up so they don’t ah e to wait.

Save food they like in freezer and heat up.

amother
Sunflower

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 1:31 pm
Hey, back again.

Thought of a few more things I wish I’d been told.

Snacks and stuff are often cheaper in the city - plus it’s a schlep to get to a grocery. Usually makes sense to pack a case of what you usually use to start you off. Keep in mind that they kids will be sharing with half the world, so either make a rule about that early on (no special snacks out of the bungalow or only giving out on Shabbos etc) or bring lots extra!

Keep in mind that most camps have a canteen and that it can get out of hand really fast. Ask other families what they do and discuss guidelines with your family beforehand. Especially the camps that have a family “bill” - watch out!!! Even the littlest kids learn really fast to go buy themselves boatloads of nosh if you’re not careful.

Bedtime - camp is literally like going to another time zone! The sooner you get used to it the better. Most kids stay up really late but also wake up later. Think of it as regular jet lag - try to adjust their schedule to camps as soon as you can. (Unless you only have littles that you can still get to bed early and have a night. Lucky you!! But keep in mind that you may need to give them dinner yourself because most camps don’t eat till closer to 7)

Enjoy!! There’s nothing like camp life and camp friends, and you get the best of both worlds - sleepaway camp without the fears and distance from family. my older ones miss it so much!

amother
Coral

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 2:14 pm
Lots of insect repellent, bug spray, maybe mouse traps.
Full first aid kit plus more
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps