Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
S/o how do the girls know what shoes will be in style?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 8:18 am
I'm not and never have been the type to follow trends or care very much what "everyone" is wearing at the height of trends. My daughters want to be more with it, especially when going to camp with the in towners - which is fine with me.
What I don't get is how the girls know what will be THE new shoe (or other clothing) trend for the season!!?? Last week I spent some time trying to figure out what sneakers my DD would like for camp, so I read through some threads on here. We came up with new balance. But then on a thread yesterday (I started it to ask about the new balance my DD decided to get), someone said that new balance was the rage last year and now the girls are all about Adidas samba. How on earth do they all know???!!!

(I don't mind her wanting to have the "right" shoe for the summer since it doesn't usually coast more. But somehow we are always a season or 2 behind....)

eta: also frustrating that now that we have maybe figured out what to get, there are no sizes to be had!

amother
NeonYellow

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 9:16 am
I thought of the same question when I read that thread.
We’re shopping now for Dd first year camp. Will she show up and look out of place? Sad

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 10:21 am
I mentioned this question to my sister (much younger than me, OOT), and she said that it always bothered her that she was always a year behind in what she was wearing in camp. I really just don't get how they know BEFORE the stock is sold out!

pessyb

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 11:26 am
I hear ya! I live in town and still dont know the trends bf the season
only once I see ppl wearing...
Maybe keep asking here..

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 11:47 am
right, that's why I came on here to look - so we settled on what imas were saying (new balance) but now it sounds like that was "so last year" and adidas sambas are the rage now (but they are all sold out)....

amother
Gardenia

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 11:47 am
Tbh I love fashion and trends and I’m the type who notices. For example, I saw last summer and fall that the sambas were starting to trend in secular fashion, so figured it would be by us by this season.
And btw, you can still find them pretty easily directly from the adidas site.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 11:57 am
Try Nordstrom rack?

amother
Navy

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 12:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
right, that's why I came on here to look - so we settled on what imas were saying (new balance) but now it sounds like that was "so last year" and adidas sambas are the rage now (but they are all sold out)....

BTW, we live in Monsey and many of the girls in my girls school bought new balance sneakers now for the summer. So don't worry- she won't look "a year behind"!

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 12:31 pm
Thank you all for the answers.

[quote="amother Gardenia"]Tbh I love fashion and trends and I’m the type who notices. For example, I saw last summer and fall that the sambas were starting to trend in secular fashion, so figured it would be by us by this season.
And btw, you can still find them pretty easily directly from the adidas site.[/quote

interesting - but not all secular fashion ends up what our girls wear...there is often some difference.

I checked the adidas site, unless I am looking at the wrong model, I can only fins black with white stripes in her size and she wants a white based shoe I think (though I will double check)

amother
Gardenia

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 12:49 pm
You can check if they have it in either men’s or children’s in an equivalent size. If you want.

amother
Eggshell

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 1:05 pm
Lol, the people that ‘know’ what’s going to be in style, are the ones that ‘make’ what’s going to be in style. That’s why you are in the dark, because you are copying what the trendsetters decide.

amother
Snowflake

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 1:12 pm
I think you just have to be “the type”. I have 2 teenager daughters. One just happens to always know the latest trend and the other really has no idea and is always checking to see what others are wearing.
Me- I’m clueless… and I’m no help to my girls.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 1:40 pm
amother Eggshell wrote:
Lol, the people that ‘know’ what’s going to be in style, are the ones that ‘make’ what’s going to be in style. That’s why you are in the dark, because you are copying what the trendsetters decide.

Would Iove to hear more about this. Makes sense but how does it work practically?
My daughter wanted a pair of puma sneakers 🤷‍♀️

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 2:10 pm
I’m the one who wrote about the sambas and I feel so bad for writing it now but you seemed to genuinely want to know. I’m just as lost as you are in this. I’m not fashion savvy at all and if I want to know what’s in style I literally have to call my nieces and I rly have no clue how they always know. they just do. just don’t b busy with it. we never are. buy what you like. it’s much better to look unique and everyone knows those are “chani’s” sneakers. then to be matching the whole camp. so boring. and I’m sure there will be many in the new balance sneakers also. they aren’t nerdy now. it’s just tht was the brand new thing last year and the other sneakers are the new thing for this year. doesn’t make last years thing nerdy at all. there will b plenty girls wearing tht. and plenty of girls wearing neither. like my daughter Smile

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 2:25 pm
Another OOTer here. We r clueless here too, but my daughter wanted nike. The stylish girls here seem to all have gotten nike this season ....they seem to have heard from east coast friends/relatives that those are the shoes of the season. Are we totally off here? This thread has me confused!!

amother
Anemone

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 2:30 pm
I feel like this thread would make a great Kichels comic strip.
It is really hysterical.
Dw I get you moms, it’s hard work to be on top of your game lol

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 2:32 pm
amother Fuchsia wrote:
Another OOTer here. We r clueless here too, but my daughter wanted nike. The stylish girls here seem to all have gotten nike this season ....they seem to have heard from east coast friends/relatives that those are the shoes of the season. Are we totally off here? This thread has me confused!!

My daughter dresses pretty with it and she got Nikes and golden goose (no I didn’t spend $500 or close to that, got a great deal on a discount website). She doesn’t like the sambas so she chose Nike. We live in town so it’s easier to guage what’s it’s in style. She’s not a trendsetter but she knows what’s in for the most part. Hope this is helpful!

amother
NeonYellow

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 2:32 pm
amother Anemone wrote:
I feel like this thread would make a great Kichels comic strip.
It is really hysterical.
Dw I get you moms, it’s hard work to be on top of your game lol
😂🙈

amother
NeonYellow

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 2:33 pm
amother Seagreen wrote:
My daughter dresses pretty with it and she got Nikes and golden goose (no I didn’t spend $500 or close to that, got a great deal on a discount website). She doesn’t like the sambas so she chose Nike. We live in town so it’s easier to guage what’s it’s in style. She’s not a trendsetter but she knows what’s in for the most part. Hope this is helpful!

Which website do you use?

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 2:38 pm
amother NeonYellow wrote:
Which website do you use?

For the golden goose? I think I got it from cettire, but it’s hit or miss. She fits into kids sizes. And I ended up spending a lot on shipping and returns so it didn’t end up being that cheap. I don’t know if I’d do it again.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics