Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
A Day in Philadelphia

misteray

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 9:35 am
My DH and I are spending Thursday, just one day, in Philly, PA. Does anyone have any good ideas what to do there in that amount of time? Fun or interesting things, not so history-minded, though. And any kosher places to eat there for lunch or dinner?
Has a/o been to the American Jewish History Museum there? In general we are not so interested in museums, but maybe that one...
Thanks!

greeneyes

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 9:49 am
We went on an overnight trip to Philadelphia this summer and we went to the Philadelphia Zoo and the Camden Aquarium, which is quite close to Philadelphia. The Philadelphia Zoo is America's 1st Zoo, and it's really an extraordinary zoo. If you and your husband are the type to enjoy animals and nature, you might really enjoy that. We had a great time there.

sky

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 9:56 am
'Ride the Duck' Bus and Boat ride through downtown Philadelphia. Leaves across the street from the bell. It was expensive but we enjoyed.
'The eastern state penitentiary' http://www.easternstate.org/ It is a historic prison. I think it looks interesting and I always want to go but have never gone because you can't take kids.
In terms of food check out: http://philly-direct.com/frum/vaad.html. We eat that hechsher but I guess you would want to find out for yourself.

misteray

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 1:45 pm
Thanks for the suggestions. We are not so interested in going to ANOTHER zoo or aquirium, so I think we'll skip those. And I checked into the Penetiary- it does look kind of cool even though it seems to be a museum of sorts, but boy is it expensive!
I think we'll end up just going to the Franklin Institute and the Omni-theatre. I've been there before years and years ago and had fun, so we'll maybe try it again.
I've checked online about hashgachos for places to eat and what I've found is: Keystone K, the Vaad, and KO Kosher (is this what s/o asked abt regarding Jelly Bellies?). Any info on these?
Thanks again!

Emee

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 2:38 pm
I'm not sure what is in Philly now but I used to live there and there are good kosher restaurants. There is a sushi place and italian in Bala Cynwyd and in the northeast there is chinese and pizza I belive. If you need actual addresses and phone numbers I coudl ask one of my friends who still lives there.

misteray

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 4:19 pm
We decided to stay mostly in one area bec. we will not be there for all that long. I found a couple of places not far from the Franklin Institute: Mama's Vegetarian Restaurant and Cafe Shira and one fleishig place, Yi-Tzi Peking.
Emee, did you hear of any of these places?

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 4:30 pm
Mama's vegetarian is downtown, right?
I really liked their falafel, it was very good. I think they also had bourekas.

When I was in Philly there was an excellent meat restaurant downtown. It was the best Israeli type food I've ever had, but unfortunately it's since changed owners, and I don't think they have hashgacha anymore.

I went to one of the Chinese places, the food was the blandest I've ever had. We took non-Jewish co-workers there, and it was a little embarrassing.

Tehilla

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 4:35 pm
there's also Shalom Pizza in Overbrook Park. there's a lot to do in Philly. I just don't know it all cause I usually visit my ILs and that's it.

Emee

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 5:05 pm
Yi tzi peking is the sushi place I think. I really can't remember anymore but I have definitely been there the other2 were not around when I lived in PA

Twizzlers

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 6:32 pm
I'm also looking into going to Philly this sunday and monday. any suggestions what we can do that will be interesting for me, dh, 2 year old and 5 month old? (I know, thats really pushing it)

sky

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 9:30 pm
Twizzler try the zoo or the Franklin institue. I think they have a children area for young kids.

mrskarz

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 9:43 pm
Twizzlers wrote:
I'm also looking into going to Philly this sunday and monday. any suggestions what we can do that will be interesting for me, dh, 2 year old and 5 month old? (I know, thats really pushing it)

Please touch museum, Camden aquarium

OldYoung

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 9:48 pm
When Dh and I were dating we went into Philadelphia for the day and went to Franklin Institute and Cafe Shira... And of course I have fond memories of those places! Wink Cafe Shira is dairy and very homey. When we went it was pretty crowded with plenty of adults and kids. There was a little bit of a wait but the food was good. The museum was a great one, if you like science-type museums. Nice exhibits for kids an adults.

teachby

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 11:45 pm
I know you said you were not really interested in historical stuff, but I can't imagine being a tourist in Philly and not going to The Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, and Betsy Ross' House. But that's just one gal's opinion...

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 11:58 pm
Mama's Vegetarian is delicious! It's VERY "quick service" type...just pita, felafel,. chummus, and other yummy fried things you get at the counter. They get a large lunch crowd of just "normal" people--ie. just people who are nearby and want felafel for lunch, not seeking kosher food in particular.

the pita is so fresh and heavenly. and they have yummy pickles! IMHO

misteray

Post Mon, Sep 01 2008, 9:46 pm
We actually did not have such a great time during our stop over in Philly, but it was partly our own fault...
We planned on going to the Franklin Institute first, but as we were ready to pull in to the parking lot we noticed it was rudely barricaded off with a sign saying FULL! So, that began an hour long saga of trying to find a parking spot in downtown Philly on the Thursday of Labor Day weekend.
While looking out for a parking spot, we were also trying to find Mama's Vegetarian Restaurant. We had the address we got online and had put in the GPS, but could NOT find the place! We went around twice thru the crowded streets (I personally think it was worse than Manhattan) but did not spot our salvation for our growling stomachs. When we finally got a spot in a parking structure... on the sixth floor, we gave up the food idea for the time being. The lot building was jammed packed with cars parked everywhere! It was quite scary to be driving up and up and up, and I wasn't even the one behind the wheel! We walked down, bec. we didn't see the elevator and we found out that not all the floors had a lights. B'H we made it out okay.
Finally, we came out in to the daylight but couldn't remember if we had locked the doors, so... up and up and up we went. But, this time with the elevator. (fyi, we had locked it!)
We were so confused abt where we were, going round and round up the parking garages' floors, that when we were standing on the street outside we started walking in the wrong direction abt 3 blocks till we realized our error. We about faced and headed toward the much awaited Franklin Institute.
We made it there w/o further mishaps, B"H and went on line. Apparently we just missed the imax show by 3 minutes, so we decided to just go to the museum at this point. We were starving and we didn't really want to stay in Philly too late. As soon as I stepped in to the first exhibit I realized that I had been to the FI way more recently than I had remembered when preparing for the trip. (I found out afterwards that I had gone with my DB and family abt 5 years ago.) If I had remembere we for sure would not have gone to the museum and would have waited for the next imax show... Oh well! We had a nice enough time in the museum, but it wasnt' worth it for me bec. I remembered e/single thing! If we had kids along, I am sure it would have made it more fun...
We saw most of the museum, but we couldn't walk another step bec. we were both tired from hunger. We left and drove out to Holy Land Pizza on Castor Ave and we ate our "lunch" at abt 5 pm after going a bit out of the way. Our flawless all-knowing GPS told us to make a left turn on a no turn street...
Anyway, B"H, our food was good- but anything wouldn't have been delicious at this point!
I'm definitely disappointed in the outcome of the trip and don't really want to go there again bec. of the experience, but my DH says we should give the city another chance, when we get the chance... We'll see...

yo'ma

Post Tue, Sep 02 2008, 7:05 am
Consider it an adventure!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics