Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Kriah homework incentive scheme????

Raisin

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 3:20 pm
Does anyone teach 1st-2nd grade (I teach both together) and have any persuavive methods to gety the kids to do kriah homework?

I was thinking to have some sort of chart on the classroom wall with goals. Eg do homework 10 times and you become a captain, or a brown belt, or something else? I'm not excited about the karate theme or army theme though. And I want to give them something when they get to each goal. ( a small prize or medal that can tie into the theme.) Its both boys and girls, from mainly not frum/traditional homes.

Any ideas?

yo'ma

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 5:10 pm
I don't exactly remember, but my kids used to bring home tickets and at the end of the week or month, they were able to buy prizes with the tickets.

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 5:21 pm
My father used to play a game with us in shul to make sure we were following along with the leining. Every so often he would ask one of us what pasuk the baal kriah was up to. If we knew, we'd get a "run", and if not we'd get an "out". It was basically leining baseball. Whoever had the most runs by the end of leining would win and get a prize.

I know it's not quite the same thing, but maybe you could adapt the game. How about if you split the class into teams? Each day you count how many kids did their homework. Everyone who did the kriah earns a hit for their team, and 4 hits makes a run. Every kid who didn't do their hw causes his team to get an out. Every out cancels a run. At the end of the week, the team with the most runs gets a prize. Kids tend to like competition, and the team atmosphere will cause the kids to encourage each other to do the hw. (I think.)

Raisin

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 6:06 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
My father used to play a game with us in shul to make sure we were following along with the leining. Every so often he would ask one of us what pasuk the baal kriah was up to. If we knew, we'd get a "run", and if not we'd get an "out". It was basically leining baseball. Whoever had the most runs by the end of leining would win and get a prize.

I know it's not quite the same thing, but maybe you could adapt the game. How about if you split the class into teams? Each day you count how many kids did their homework. Everyone who did the kriah earns a hit for their team, and 4 hits makes a run. Every kid who didn't do their hw causes his team to get an out. Every out cancels a run. At the end of the week, the team with the most runs gets a prize. Kids tend to like competition, and the team atmosphere will cause the kids to encourage each other to do the hw. (I think.)

good idea. no one plays baseball, but maybe soccer would work. Only problem is there are 9 kids. how would I figure that out? 2 are identical twins though! Maybe I can count them as one. Wink

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 6:07 pm
Make 3 teams? Then you can have playoffs at the end of the semester.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics