Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
What do you do if your job doesn't give benefits

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 27 2024, 11:12 am
If I make a salary of about 50k without benefits. I need advice. How do I make sure the not having benefits part doesn't hit me hard. I'm kind of clueless and would appreciate advice or tips. Health insurance I can get cheap I think due to low salary, in new york. What about other benefits, like 401k...idk...anyone knowledgeable can you please advise which benefits people usually get and how I can best deal with not getting them but still doing okay. Thanks so much in advance!

amother
Linen

Post Mon, May 27 2024, 11:28 am
Is looking for a job with benefits an option ? My benefits are worth an additional 50% of my salary.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 27 2024, 11:31 am
amother Linen wrote:
Is looking for a job with benefits an option ? My benefits are worth an additional 50% of my salary.
tysm for your response. Can you expand on that. I dont really know the value of benefits. How does it equal an additional 50% of salary. If I'd know what to look for itd help, it's just that I'm quite clueless about all this, I just know that I don't know.

amother
Pansy

Post Mon, May 27 2024, 11:40 am
amother OP wrote:
tysm for your response. Can you expand on that. I dont really know the value of benefits. How does it equal an additional 50% of salary. If I'd know what to look for itd help, it's just that I'm quite clueless about all this, I just know that I don't know.

50% is very high but 30% is realistic in a corporate job. Companies pay towards insurance (health and dental sometimes more like vision or life or accident), days off and some contribute to 401k but that’s less common in my experience. Insurance and days off are usually the big ones and are pretty important.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, May 27 2024, 12:00 pm
If you don't have 401k, then need to take some out of your paycheck each month and invest on your own. Some companies offer 401k matching where they'll match what you put in, but here, you would just invest whatever you put on the side.

There are other benefits to smaller companies such as flexibility, small/warm environment, potential to make a difference, to grow, etc. so maybe make sure you have some benefit in a smaller company without benefits.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, May 27 2024, 12:08 pm
amother OP wrote:

I get health insurance for my family (no premiums, no deductible, no copay), including dental, orthodontia and vision (and yes, therapy). There’s daycare voucher, after care voucher, daycamp voucher even sleepaway camp voucher. I will also have a pension. (That’s aside from the 5 weeks of pto and 12 sick days a year) I recognize that my benefits are outstanding but it’s an example to show that I don’t think it’s something you should forfeit

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Jun 02 2024, 2:09 pm
amother Linen wrote:
I get health insurance for my family (no premiums, no deductible, no copay), including dental, orthodontia and vision (and yes, therapy). There’s daycare voucher, after care voucher, daycamp voucher even sleepaway camp voucher. I will also have a pension. (That’s aside from the 5 weeks of pto and 12 sick days a year) I recognize that my benefits are outstanding but it’s an example to show that I don’t think it’s something you should forfeit

Can you share where you work?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics