Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Eggs in israel

frum613

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 5:29 am
I heard recently that the eggs in israel are not pasteurised. Anyone else heard of this?

Iymnok

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 5:34 am
Most countries they aren't. I think you mean washed. The shell has a natural protestant that if you wash it, it shortens the shelf life of the egg.
That's why we don't need to refrigerate them here. Though they will last longer.

frum613

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 5:41 am
Iymnok wrote:
Most countries they aren't. I think you mean washed. The shell has a natural protestant that if you wash it, it shortens the shelf life of the egg.
That's why we don't need to refrigerate them here. Though they will last longer.

I dont think I mean washed but thats interesting to note, never knew that. I know in the UK they are pasteurised that's why you can make ice cream with them. Does that mean you can't use them raw here?

leilatov1

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 5:47 am
UK eggs are not pasteurised. The ones from the supermarket with a lion stamp are vaccinated against salmonella so not a problem to have soft boiled etc when pregnant. The ones from the kosher shop are not.

Elfrida

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 6:00 am
Egg products, when the shell is opened, are pasteurised. You can buy containers of egg white or egg yolk, and the are pasteurised. Regular eggs, sold in the shell, are not. I don't think it's standard to pasteurise them anywhere.

Elfrida

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 6:03 am
frum613 wrote:
I dont think I mean washed but thats interesting to note, never knew that. I know in the UK they are pasteurised that's why you can make ice cream with them. Does that mean you can't use them raw here?

We normally recommend that pregnant women and anyone else at increased risk avoid consuming raw eggs. (At pesach this often means avoiding home made mayonnaise.) Generally speaking it isn't an issue.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 6:03 am
frum613 wrote:

Eggs in the Uk are not pasteurised. You can buy cartons of pasteurised eggs in the supermarket fridge but whole eggs are not.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 6:14 am
They are not pasteurizing the US either although you can buy them but pasteurize hard to find. I don’t think anywhere in the world it’s standard pasteurize

amother
Oak

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 6:15 am
They don't have any standard like the UK lion stamp, sadly. No runny eggs when pregnant Sad

Elfrida

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 6:20 am
OP, you may have been thinking of this.

Quote:
The United States processes eggs differently than much of the rest of the world. Before our eggs go to supermarket shelves, they are pasteurized in the shell. They take a dip in a warm bath, which doesn't cook the egg, but does kill bacteria on the shell, the FDA says.

They are not pasteurised as standard in America, but they are washed at a high enough temperature to kill any bacteria on the shell. This could be referred to as shell pasteurisation, or, as Lymnok mentioned, could be described as washing the eggs.

Either way, the inner content, the actual egg, is not pasteurised as standard.

rivkie123

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 6:40 am
You can buy pasteurized from a carton though if you need

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Jun 07 2024, 8:25 am
Elfrida wrote:
OP, you may have been thinking of this.

Quote:
The United States processes eggs differently than much of the rest of the world. Before our eggs go to supermarket shelves, they are pasteurized in the shell. They take a dip in a warm bath, which doesn't cook the egg, but does kill bacteria on the shell, the FDA says.

They are not pasteurised as standard in America, but they are washed at a high enough temperature to kill any bacteria on the shell. This could be referred to as shell pasteurisation, or, as Lymnok mentioned, could be described as washing the eggs.

Either way, the inner content, the actual egg, is not pasteurised as standard.

This makes sense and probably what I'm thinking of. Thank you for all the answers Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions