Home
Log in / Sign Up
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Eggs in israel



Post new topic   Reply to topic View latest: 24h 48h 72h

frum613




 
 
    
 

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 5:29 am
I heard recently that the eggs in israel are not pasteurised. Anyone else heard of this?
Back to top

Iymnok




 
 
    
 

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 5:34 am
Most countries they aren't. I think you mean washed. The shell has a natural protestant that if you wash it, it shortens the shelf life of the egg.
That's why we don't need to refrigerate them here. Though they will last longer.
Back to top

frum613




 
 
    
 

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 5:41 am
Iymnok wrote:
Most countries they aren't. I think you mean washed. The shell has a natural protestant that if you wash it, it shortens the shelf life of the egg.
That's why we don't need to refrigerate them here. Though they will last longer.


I dont think I mean washed but thats interesting to note, never knew that. I know in the UK they are pasteurised that's why you can make ice cream with them. Does that mean you can't use them raw here?
Back to top

leilatov1




 
 
    
 

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 5:47 am
UK eggs are not pasteurised. The ones from the supermarket with a lion stamp are vaccinated against salmonella so not a problem to have soft boiled etc when pregnant. The ones from the kosher shop are not.
Back to top

Elfrida




 
 
    
 

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 6:00 am
Egg products, when the shell is opened, are pasteurised. You can buy containers of egg white or egg yolk, and the are pasteurised. Regular eggs, sold in the shell, are not. I don't think it's standard to pasteurise them anywhere.
Back to top

Elfrida




 
 
    
 

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 6:03 am
frum613 wrote:
I dont think I mean washed but thats interesting to note, never knew that. I know in the UK they are pasteurised that's why you can make ice cream with them. Does that mean you can't use them raw here?


We normally recommend that pregnant women and anyone else at increased risk avoid consuming raw eggs. (At pesach this often means avoiding home made mayonnaise.) Generally speaking it isn't an issue.
Back to top

amother
Lightyellow


 

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 6:03 am
frum613 wrote:
I dont think I mean washed but thats interesting to note, never knew that. I know in the UK they are pasteurised that's why you can make ice cream with them. Does that mean you can't use them raw here?


Eggs in the Uk are not pasteurised. You can buy cartons of pasteurised eggs in the supermarket fridge but whole eggs are not.
Back to top

amother
Gold


 

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 6:14 am
They are not pasteurizing the US either although you can buy them but pasteurize hard to find. I don’t think anywhere in the world it’s standard pasteurize
Back to top

amother
Oak


 

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 6:15 am
They don't have any standard like the UK lion stamp, sadly. No runny eggs when pregnant Sad
Back to top

Elfrida




 
 
    
 

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 6:20 am
OP, you may have been thinking of this.

Quote:
The United States processes eggs differently than much of the rest of the world. Before our eggs go to supermarket shelves, they are pasteurized in the shell. They take a dip in a warm bath, which doesn't cook the egg, but does kill bacteria on the shell, the FDA says.


They are not pasteurised as standard in America, but they are washed at a high enough temperature to kill any bacteria on the shell. This could be referred to as shell pasteurisation, or, as Lymnok mentioned, could be described as washing the eggs.

Either way, the inner content, the actual egg, is not pasteurised as standard.
Back to top

rivkie123




 
 
    
 

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 6:40 am
You can buy pasteurized from a carton though if you need
Back to top

amother
Mauve


 

Post Fri, Jun 07 2024, 8:25 am
Elfrida wrote:
OP, you may have been thinking of this.

Quote:
The United States processes eggs differently than much of the rest of the world. Before our eggs go to supermarket shelves, they are pasteurized in the shell. They take a dip in a warm bath, which doesn't cook the egg, but does kill bacteria on the shell, the FDA says.


They are not pasteurised as standard in America, but they are washed at a high enough temperature to kill any bacteria on the shell. This could be referred to as shell pasteurisation, or, as Lymnok mentioned, could be described as washing the eggs.

Either way, the inner content, the actual egg, is not pasteurised as standard.


This makes sense and probably what I'm thinking of. Thank you for all the answers Smile
Back to top
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics




Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Luggage and fan for Israel
by amother
0 Yesterday at 7:38 pm View last post
Ideas for 2nd-wedding in Israel??
by amother
0 Wed, Jul 17 2024, 5:47 am View last post
Health insurance in Israel for yeshiva students
by amother
4 Tue, Jul 16 2024, 3:28 pm View last post
Can I visit these places in Israel
by amother
18 Tue, Jul 16 2024, 1:52 pm View last post
Need help to invest (Israel)
by amother
11 Tue, Jul 16 2024, 10:48 am View last post