Home
Log in / Sign Up
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Why isnt it disrespectful to shabbos to make better YT food?



Post new topic   Reply to topic View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother
OP


 

Post Wed, May 29 2024, 11:56 pm
I hear people on here say they make fancier food for YT than shabbos, eg. they only have chicken on shabbos but have beef on yom tov. Ive always understood shabbos to be more holy than yom tov (I've heard various reasons... such as that YT is declared by humans, and shabbos is declared by hashem). Seems like it's disrespectful to shabbos to have fancier food on YT. thoughts?
Back to top

amother
Mintcream


 

Post Thu, May 30 2024, 12:10 am
It’s just a fun thing to make life interesting and make yom tov a thing to look forward to
Back to top

amother
Topaz


 

Post Thu, May 30 2024, 12:11 am
It's actually a Halacha that for Shabbos you have better for than the weekdays and on YT better than Shabbos, so no it's not disrespectful
Back to top

amother
OP


 

Post Thu, May 30 2024, 7:22 am
amother Topaz wrote:
It's actually a Halacha that for Shabbos you have better for than the weekdays and on YT better than Shabbos, so no it's not disrespectful


interesting. is there a source for this?

what's the logic for this halacha. it seems disrespectful to shabbos so I wonder how they came up with tha.t
Back to top

teachkids




 
 
    
 

Post Thu, May 30 2024, 7:38 am
Because yt has the additional mitzvah of simchas yontif
Back to top

imasinger




 
 
    
 

Post Thu, May 30 2024, 7:39 am
I believe it stems from the wording in Chumash, that YT is v'samachta, and Shabbos is oneg.

It's why you're allowed to cook on YT, so that food will be really fresh and delicious.

Do you want a citation from shulchan aruch? I can look it up later.
Back to top

zaq




 
 
    
 

Post Thu, May 30 2024, 9:23 am
Just wondering where you got the idea that YT is man-made? Shalosh regalim are deoraita. It's only Yomtov sheni shel galuyot that's derabanan.
Back to top

amother
Lime


 

Post Thu, May 30 2024, 9:51 am
amother OP wrote:
interesting. is there a source for this?

what's the logic for this halacha. it seems disrespectful to shabbos so I wonder how they came up with tha.t


Why do you find it disrespectful to shabbos? Maybe it's disrespestcful to YT to make the same type of food you make every week for shabbos?
Back to top

amother
Gardenia


 

Post Thu, May 30 2024, 9:53 am
amother OP wrote:
I hear people on here say they make fancier food for YT than shabbos, eg. they only have chicken on shabbos but have beef on yom tov. Ive always understood shabbos to be more holy than yom tov (I've heard various reasons... such as that YT is declared by humans, and shabbos is declared by hashem). Seems like it's disrespectful to shabbos to have fancier food on YT. thoughts?


The shalosh regalim were not declared by humans. They were declared by hashem. (As well as the yamim noraiim.)
And on yom tov, there's an extra mitzvah of simchas yom tov. Shabbos was declared as a day of rest, yom tov was declared as days of celebration & festivities.
Back to top

amother
Topaz


 

Post Thu, May 30 2024, 10:01 am
amother OP wrote:
interesting. is there a source for this?

what's the logic for this halacha. it seems disrespectful to shabbos so I wonder how they came up with tha.t

It should be in shulchan aruch, perhaps even in kitzur
I can't pull it up at the moment maybe someone can find it and post
Back to top

amother
Topaz


 

Post Thu, May 30 2024, 10:06 am
zaq wrote:
Just wondering where you got the idea that YT is man-made? Shalosh regalim are deoraita. It's only Yomtov sheni shel galuyot that's derabanan.

The idea is that Shabbos is based on the weekly system which Hashem made, YT is based on the monthly system, which is determined by Beis Din via eidim etc so it has a human element affecting it as well
We see this is the Brachos of Shabbos/YT in Shmone Esre- on Shabbos we say Mekadesh Hashabbos, on YT we say Mekadesh Yisroel Vehazemanim, including us into the Kedusha of the day
This has additional significance in Kabalistic teachings
Back to top

amother
OP


 

Post Thu, May 30 2024, 1:42 pm
amother Topaz wrote:
The idea is that Shabbos is based on the weekly system which Hashem made, YT is based on the monthly system, which is determined by Beis Din via eidim etc so it has a human element affecting it as well
We see this is the Brachos of Shabbos/YT in Shmone Esre- on Shabbos we say Mekadesh Hashabbos, on YT we say Mekadesh Yisroel Vehazemanim, including us into the Kedusha of the day
This has additional significance in Kabalistic teachings


this is the drasha I was referring to. you said it better than I possibly could.


---

good answeres here. thanks everyone
Back to top

bigsis144




 
 
    
 

Post Thu, May 30 2024, 2:39 pm
Practically, yom tov is less frequent than Shabbos.

It just makes sense that Shabbos is chicken and Yom Tov is beef if you have 52 Shabboses and less than a dozen days of Yom Tov in a year 🤷🏻‍♀️
Back to top

imaima




 
 
    
 

Post Thu, May 30 2024, 3:25 pm
amother OP wrote:
I hear people on here say they make fancier food for YT than shabbos, eg. they only have chicken on shabbos but have beef on yom tov. Ive always understood shabbos to be more holy than yom tov (I've heard various reasons... such as that YT is declared by humans, and shabbos is declared by hashem). Seems like it's disrespectful to shabbos to have fancier food on YT. thoughts?

I heard the same about the clothes.
Best clothes for shabbos, seclnd best for yom tov, third best for simchos.
I think everyone does it the other way around
Back to top

amother
Mintcream


 

Post Thu, May 30 2024, 4:40 pm
Shabbos is more kadosh but we make yom tov special because it’s few times a year only. No big deal. It’s not disrespectful
Back to top

amother
Carnation


 

Post Thu, May 30 2024, 9:31 pm
Shabbat involves two big meals and YT is at least four, and on Sukkot and Pesach we're up to eight, not counting Shabbat chol hamoed. You can't very well serve the same chicken for all those meals so you have to branch out. And that means at least one or two meals are going to be beef since chicken and turkey are the only kind of poultry available to many people and beef the only red meat. I'm sure I would like venison, quail, mutton, lamb, duck and goose if we could get them. (Goat and giraffe I'm not so sure about.)

And with all those YT meals to serve,we also need to branch out with the side dishes, salads, and desserts. Some things we're just not prepared to serve every week, whether the issue is money, patchkerei, or calories/ cholesterol/fat/sodium.
Back to top
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics




Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Would you go for shabbos?
by amother
10 Yesterday at 12:06 pm View last post
Facial Sunscreen for Shabbos 17 Yesterday at 8:43 am View last post
Make up for bar Mitzva
by amother
11 Thu, Jun 20 2024, 5:47 pm View last post
What do you usually bring someone for Shabbos meal
by amother
11 Thu, Jun 20 2024, 12:24 pm View last post
Is it possible to make cherry fruit soup
by amother
5 Thu, Jun 20 2024, 4:05 am View last post