Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Convection Microwave

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 03 2024, 10:22 am
Right now I have a large toaster oven on my counter and a range hood. I'm thinking of swapping them both out for a convection microwave. The guy from the store said it bakes differently than a regular oven, but it does bake.

Can anyone weigh in on their experience with a convection microwave? Can I bake pizza and cheesecake, and make grilled cheese?

librarygirl

Post Mon, Jun 03 2024, 10:34 am
I make pizza and Cheesecake in my convection oven microwave, comes out great. Grilled cheese, I make in a frying pan, not sure how you do that in an oven.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jun 03 2024, 11:33 am
I assume you now have a venting hood over your stove and want to get rid of it for an over the range microwave which would also theoretically vent.

Several issues

Over the range units are more expensive than a counter top microwave and are more difficult and expensive to replace

They tend to fail more frequently than counter top microwaves as the heat from cooking is hard on them

When a counter top microwave breaks, it is less expensive and far easier to just buy a new one

They do NOT vent well so you will give up your current good ventilation system

thepickled

Post Mon, Jun 03 2024, 11:38 am
I have the kind with a round table in middle which rotates so things that are small enough to fit in the circle radius when it rotates cook very nicely. Things on a tray like cookies or vegetables on a tray will bake unevenly (still doable if you turn the pan midway). It gets very hot, haven’t had any issues with the microwave or the baking function. I believe it’s a Samsung. That said the vent it comes with for the stove beneath it is really poor.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 03 2024, 11:39 am
Amarante wrote:
I assume you now have a venting hood over your stove and want to get rid of it for an over the range microwave which would also theoretically vent.

Several issues

Over the range units are more expensive than a counter top microwave and are more difficult and expensive to replace

They tend to fail more frequently than counter top microwaves as the heat from cooking is hard on them

When a counter top microwave breaks, it is less expensive and far easier to just buy a new one

They do NOT vent well so you will give up your current good ventilation system

Right now I just have a range hood. No microwave there. And I never turn it on, so I'm not worried about losing that ventilation Smile

This is about $500, so not very cheap, but it would be worthwhile to give me counter space.

My countertop microwave is actually broken now, which is why I'm even thinking about making the purchase. It is much more expensive but it would replace 2 appliances and give me more counter space which would be really nice.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jun 03 2024, 11:43 am
amother OP wrote:
Right now I just have a range hood. No microwave there. And I never turn it on, so I'm not worried about losing that ventilation Smile

This is about $500, so not very cheap, but it would be worthwhile to give me counter space.

My countertop microwave is actually broken now, which is why I'm even thinking about making the purchase. It is much more expensive but it would replace 2 appliances and give me more counter space which would be really nice.

It still needs to be installed so that is not an insignificant expense.

And using a good hood really makes a difference in terms of the cleanliness of your kitchen and cabinets. All the grease and steam from cooking creates a sticky substance that adheres to the surfaces - especially cabinets.

You can get a counter top microwave combination oven - some of the upscale ones like Breville also have air fryer and really work well as an oven

amother
Mocha

Post Mon, Jun 03 2024, 11:50 am
I think you should go for it. You’ll figure out how to cook with the convection oven. It’s not the same thing as a toaster oven. It’s more similar to a regular oven. I have one but rarely use it since I have 2 ovens already and I love my toaster oven. I know someone who bakes challah in the convection/microwave and says that it comes out great. I baked fish and French fries- was totally fine.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 03 2024, 11:52 am
Amarante wrote:
It still needs to be installed so that is not an insignificant expense.

And using a good hood really makes a difference in terms of the cleanliness of your kitchen and cabinets. All the grease and steam from cooking creates a sticky substance that adheres to the surfaces - especially cabinets.

You can get a counter top microwave combination oven - some of the upscale ones like Breville also have air fryer and really work well as an oven

I really want the counter space. But if I won't be happy with the microwave convection oven, then I'll just get a cheap microwave to replace my broken one. I don't care about the microwave so much, I just need something to defrost food and make popcorn 😀

amother
Caramel

Post Mon, Jun 03 2024, 2:19 pm
It cooks pretty well, but ime they seem to not really be built for a lot of cooking. They tend to kaput after a while, much quicker than an oven or even a toaster oven. We had many replaced/fixed - under warranty some of the time, which was helpful but still a nuisance.

amother
Mocha

Post Mon, Jun 03 2024, 2:34 pm
amother Caramel wrote:
It cooks pretty well, but ime they seem to not really be built for a lot of cooking. They tend to kaput after a while, much quicker than an oven or even a toaster oven. We had many replaced/fixed - under warranty some of the time, which was helpful but still a nuisance.

What broke? The microwave or convection?
My mom has a microwave/convection oven for years. Her microwave broke after a year but she’s been using the convection oven for years without a problem.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 03 2024, 2:37 pm
amother Mocha wrote:
What broke? The microwave or convection?
My mom has a microwave/convection oven for years. Her microwave broke after a year but she’s been using the convection oven for years without a problem.

I'm seeing mixed reviews. Can it bake a cheesecake?

amother
Mocha

Post Mon, Jun 03 2024, 2:44 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm seeing mixed reviews. Can it bake a cheesecake?

Sure!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen