Home
Log in / Sign Up
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Are you a calm parent (with a child who has ADHD)?



Post new topic   Reply to topic View latest: 24h 48h 72h



Are you a calm parent (with a child who has ADHD)?
Yes, I have always been a calm and relaxed person.  
 40%  [ 12 ]
No, I have always been a stressed and/or anxious person.  
 60%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 30



amother
OP


 

Post Wed, Jun 05 2024, 2:23 am
Wondering if this combination is common.
Not asking if parenting an ADHD child has made you feel overwhelmed (of course it has!)- but would you say that in general you are a calm and relaxed person?
Back to top

amother
Cerulean


 

Post Wed, Jun 05 2024, 3:35 am
I'm calm and relaxed if no one bothers me, but I've got 2 kids with adhd who know to push all my buttons and send me exploding about 10 times a day.
Back to top

amother
DarkKhaki


 

Post Wed, Jun 05 2024, 3:55 am
me too! I'm generally calm

but somehow almost all my kids (and dh) are adhd and it doesn't lead to such a calm house.
Back to top

garfield




 
 
    
 

Post Wed, Jun 05 2024, 4:13 am
I don't think I am particularly overly anxious, or super calm. depends on the day/sleep/food/pms.... You need a middle option!
Back to top

behappy2




 
 
    
 

Post Wed, Jun 05 2024, 4:40 am
I'm a very anxious person with lots of patience. I struggled a lot with my ADHD kid when he was little. Was very overwhelmed but over the years I have really worked on myself.
Back to top

amother
Royalblue


 

Post Wed, Jun 05 2024, 4:46 am
ADHD is genetic, so parents with ADHD are more likely to have kids with ADHD. ADHD can be a reason someone is not calm. So if there is a correlation, it's more likely because of the inheritance of ADHD.
Back to top

amother
OP


 

Post Wed, Jun 05 2024, 4:48 am
amother DarkKhaki wrote:
me too! I'm generally calm

but somehow almost all my kids (and dh) are adhd and it doesn't lead to such a calm house.


Does that mean that your DH is not calm?
Back to top

amother
OP


 

Post Wed, Jun 05 2024, 4:49 am
amother Royalblue wrote:
ADHD is genetic, so parents with ADHD are more likely to have kids with ADHD. ADHD can be a reason someone is not calm. So if there is a correlation, it's more likely because of the inheritance of ADHD.


Or because an ADHD child is being raised by an ADHD parent...
Back to top

amother
Cobalt


 

Post Wed, Jun 05 2024, 4:59 am
I have inattentive adhd which means I grew up struggling and still do. Therefore I am not a calm person. I have learned how to work with my kids so that I don't react as much as I used to but I struggle with emotions just like them.
Back to top

amother
Daisy


 

Post Wed, Jun 05 2024, 5:49 am
amother Royalblue wrote:
ADHD is genetic, so parents with ADHD are more likely to have kids with ADHD. ADHD can be a reason someone is not calm. So if there is a correlation, it's more likely because of the inheritance of ADHD.


My kids all get their adhd from dh, as is very very common.

I am BH blessed with a calm and easygoing personality, though I still have had to work on myself to unbelievable degrees with the intensely challenging children that I have been blessed with.

Sometimes I think that if I "only" had the normal challenges of raising neurotypical children, that wouldn't stretch me and my middos and self-growth that much and maybe that's why Hashem gave me such a challenging situation.
Back to top

amother
Sand


 

Post Wed, Jun 05 2024, 6:15 am
I have ADHD and I have kids with ADHD. Its a real curse from Hashem for both myself and my children. They would do much better with a non ADHD mother.
Back to top

amother
OP


 

Post Wed, Jun 05 2024, 6:17 am
Those who say that they are calm, is your DH stressed? It sounds that way in some cases.
I wonder if children with ADHD have at least one anxious/intense/stressed parent.
Back to top

Chayalle




 
 
    
 

Post Wed, Jun 05 2024, 6:19 am
Why are there only two options? How about, I am generally a calm parent, but I am human and I sometimes get (or have gotten) frazzled?

I am the parent of a child with ADD (the inattentive kind). Life has been a journey with this one, and lots of new learning for us. Some of it was easier than other times.
Back to top

amother
Emerald


 

Post Wed, Jun 05 2024, 6:56 am
amother OP wrote:
Those who say that they are calm, is your DH stressed? It sounds that way in some cases.
I wonder if children with ADHD have at least one anxious/intense/stressed parent.


Yes, DH has been more stressed with parenting than I am. But he's that way with non-ADHD kids too.
Back to top

amother
OP


 

Post Wed, Jun 05 2024, 7:11 am
Chayalle wrote:
Why are there only two options? How about, I am generally a calm parent, but I am human and I sometimes get (or have gotten) frazzled?

I am the parent of a child with ADD (the inattentive kind). Life has been a journey with this one, and lots of new learning for us. Some of it was easier than other times.


Maybe the poll is missing some options but I'm referring to people who are beyond the normal 'human and sometimes get frazzled' type of stress. Some people are inherently more anxious (usually due to life experiences) and that's what I'm curious about here. Although I realize it may not be a very straight line.
Back to top

mha3484




 
 
    
 

Post Wed, Jun 05 2024, 7:34 am
I have ADHD with the H and 3 of my kids have it. I am very easy going. I think with hindsight I know what worked for me as a kid and what didn't and I can naturally empathize with my kids. My middle child has a lot of emotional issues in addition to the ADHD and I find him much harder.
Back to top

amother
Lemon


 

Post Wed, Jun 05 2024, 7:35 am
Dh and I are both very calm and relaxed. Although dh has inattentive ADHD as does one of our children.
Dh is calm because he's generally hyper focused on something LOL
But it is challenging raising an ADHD kid, I can never have a conversation with her, she's always so busy with something and no time to answer me.
And I feel like I'm just nagging the whole time "your supper's ready!"
"Come for supper"
"Supper's getting cold!! Come to the table"
"Can you hear me? Look at me, come for supper"
"Come back to the table!"
"It's almost bedtime, please eat some!"
"Time to go upstairs now!! Sorry you didn't have enough time to eat supper..."
Every day. Crying and for everything, getting dressed, going in the bath, eating, going in the car. And she's only 6!!!
Back to top

amother
Eggshell


 

Post Wed, Jun 05 2024, 1:02 pm
I am definitely anxious, however I also have ADHD myself, and the two often go together. I don't know if or how that might skew your results, but I'm probably not the only one.

ETA: my kid's adhd doesn't make me particularly stressed or anxious though. I have been anxious for as long as I can remember, and the things in parenting that make me anxious aren't related to my DD's adhd. Although DD's constant impulsive talking does sometimes stress me out Smile
Back to top
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics




Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)

Related Topics Replies Last Post
If you have a child who doesn’t like to help out at home
by amother
18 Yesterday at 3:02 pm View last post
Daughter with ADHD hates washing hair
by amother
34 Yesterday at 1:01 pm View last post
Has anyone survived raising a child (2!) w/ a mood disorder?
by amother
5 Wed, Jul 17 2024, 7:21 pm View last post
My autistic child just emptied the contents of his diaper
by amother
14 Wed, Jul 17 2024, 4:28 pm View last post
Save your child’s life and prevent tragedy!!!
by amother
20 Tue, Jul 16 2024, 12:30 pm View last post