Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Book recommendations for ADHD

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 05 2024, 5:54 am
Looking for book recommendations to help me help my child (and myself) with ADHD. thank you

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Jun 05 2024, 6:37 am
Finally focused

amother
NeonGreen

Post Wed, Jun 05 2024, 7:15 am
Scattered Minds (Gabor Mate)
It changed my life.

amother
Acacia

Post Wed, Jun 05 2024, 7:43 am
Books that I've read on the topic for myself include:

Driven to Distraction by Edward Hallowell and John Ratey - this one is a classic
They also have a few spin-off books that they've written, I believe

Faster than Normal by Peter Shankman - definitely adult-focused, but I see that he has a book for kids that I would guess is excellent - his whole approach is EXTREMELY positive and he's an engaging writer (the whole ADHD is a superpower approach). I haven't read the kid book but should be worth looking into - The Boy with the Faster Brain

And I just discovered this one at a friend's house on shabbos and only got through the introduction, but it seems to be wonderful: Kosher ADHD: Surviving and Thriving in the Torah-Observant World by Drs. Simcha Chesner and Sara Markowitz

Hatzlacha!

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Jun 05 2024, 10:24 am
amother Acacia wrote:
Books that I've read on the topic for myself include:

Driven to Distraction by Edward Hallowell and John Ratey - this one is a classic
They also have a few spin-off books that they've written, I believe

Faster than Normal by Peter Shankman - definitely adult-focused, but I see that he has a book for kids that I would guess is excellent - his whole approach is EXTREMELY positive and he's an engaging writer (the whole ADHD is a superpower approach). I haven't read the kid book but should be worth looking into - The Boy with the Faster Brain

And I just discovered this one at a friend's house on shabbos and only got through the introduction, but it seems to be wonderful: Kosher ADHD: Surviving and Thriving in the Torah-Observant World by Drs. Simcha Chesner and Sara Markowitz

Hatzlacha!

These are interesting because in our home we have inattentive ADD and find that our brains work slower and less efficiently.
It is quite unfortunate that inattentive ADD and ADHD are lumped together because they are totally different.

amother
Acacia

Post Wed, Jun 05 2024, 10:55 am
amother Fuchsia wrote:
These are interesting because in our home we have inattentive ADD and find that our brains work slower and less efficiently.
It is quite unfortunate that inattentive ADD and ADHD are lumped together because they are totally different.

I have inattentive as well. I don't think our brains work slower - they just work differently than neurotypical peers. I think that the symptoms of the different types of ADHD are very different but the underlying mechanisms, brain wiring and chemistry, executive functioning challenges etc are similar.

A big hallmark of ADHD is hyperfocusing, which is a type of mental hyperactivity. I definitely have that even though I lead a very sedentary lifestyle! And I'm pretty sure this is very prevalent across both kinds of ADHD. The hyperfocusing is what Peter Shankman calls as a "superpower". But he's actually not a medical or psychological professional - he's a business person.

amother
Tulip

Post Wed, Jun 05 2024, 10:58 am
Also dealing with inattentive. What does he refer to as a superpower?
Also the Holderness Family came out with a book on ADHD. Did anyone here read it and can give a review?

amother
Dimgray

Post Wed, Jun 05 2024, 12:30 pm
amother Fuchsia wrote:

Inattentive ADD move slower, but their brains do think quicker. It's more about being overwhelmed and not being able to harness or brains power properly. I thought similarly to you, but now realize that ADD and ADHD are much more similar than you think. It's more about manifestation. And when you do research, you can see the Hyper side in yourself even if you clarify yourself as inattentive.
I one heard someone describe ADD as having a Maserati's engine as a brain, but not knowing how to drive stick.

mamaG

Post Wed, Jun 05 2024, 1:06 pm
ADHD is awesome by Penn Holderness

amother
Tulip

Post Wed, Jun 05 2024, 1:09 pm
mamaG wrote:
ADHD is awesome by Penn Holderness

Can you review it? What’s the bottom line? What did you think?
Could it work for inattentive too?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)