Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Kosher Milk in Scotland

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 06 2024, 8:38 pm
I will be in Edinburgh for a few days and would like to know if I can buy kosher milk. The local Chabad Rabbi told me that he only drinks CY so they do not drink milk, but I can check the Isitkosher.UK website. I tried that but it listed CY companies I would not find in Edinburgh. Are there any national brands that are kosher but not CY? Thank you

amother
Daisy

Post Thu, Jun 06 2024, 11:15 pm
The kosher deli in Glasgow gets CY milk on a Thursday and he might be able to deliver to you. Also you can buy soya or almond or oat milk in the supermarkets. Check on the list which are ok but I think that most of them are. Regular cow's milk from the supermarket should be ok but obviously it's not CY. Check with your LOR. There's also a shul in Edinburgh (besides Chabad) that might be able to help you as they get deliveries from Glasgow every so often.

amother
Anemone

Post Thu, Jun 06 2024, 11:21 pm
https://sabeny.com/

They deliver kosher food throughout the uk and milk is an option so maybe be in touch with them.

luftmaidel

Post Fri, Jun 07 2024, 1:57 am
If you don't need CY, you can buy any brand of milk from a regular supermarket anywhere in the UK. Kashrut works a little differently here, in that a lot of products are "approved" rather than "certified" - non-CY milks being among them.

This is what KLBD says: "Since it is not possible to distinguish kosher milk (from a kosher animal) from non kosher milk, Rabbinical law requires that it be supervised from the point of milking until it is bottled. In countries where the source of milk offered for sale is guaranteed by civil law (such as the UK), some authorities rule that all milk is guaranteed as kosher and need not be supervised. Supervised kosher milk (Chalav Yisrael) is widely available nowadays in the major centres of Jewish life."

ETA: If you're on Facebook, there's a group called "KLBD Kosher Direct" you can join where a KLBD rep will answer questions directly, should you want further clarification. They're very prompt and helpful.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics