Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
"Annie was proud that her dad was such a good mother too."
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Phlox

Post Fri, Jun 07 2024, 6:24 pm
amother Offwhite wrote:
This agenda was not a thing when the book was written. I'm guessing you are rather young and don't have an understanding of how these things have shifted over the years if you can only look at from the present day view.

The shift is not a new thing. It has been going on for years. Originally on tv a husband and wife could not be seen in bed without one of them having one foot on the floor. Couples had single beds (Lucy and Ricky) over time thing shifted and things that were not accepted slowly began infiltrating into mainstream culture. Three is Company is a TV show from 1976, it introduced things that were not really very openly shown in prime time tv shows. This is not a new thing and has been going on for way longer than you realize.

amother
Offwhite

Post Fri, Jun 07 2024, 6:54 pm
amother Phlox wrote:
The shift is not a new thing. It has been going on for years. Originally on tv a husband and wife could not be seen in bed without one of them having one foot on the floor. Couples had single beds (Lucy and Ricky) over time thing shifted and things that were not accepted slowly began infiltrating into mainstream culture. Three is Company is a TV show from 1976, it introduced things that were not really very openly shown in prime time tv shows. This is not a new thing and has been going on for way longer than you realize.

What does any of that have to do with the agenda that men can be women? That is what I am referring to. I am well aware of other shifts in culture, but the issue in this discussion is the whole idea of men dan be mom's. The "agenda" is fairly recent.

amother
Phlox

Post Fri, Jun 07 2024, 7:31 pm
amother Offwhite wrote:
What does any of that have to do with the agenda that men can be women? That is what I am referring to. I am well aware of other shifts in culture, but the issue in this discussion is the whole idea of men dan be mom's. The "agenda" is fairly recent.

The concept of two mothers or two fathers is not that recent and has been quietly been creeping into media and culture.

ittsamother

Post Fri, Jun 07 2024, 7:35 pm
amother Phlox wrote:
The concept of two mothers or two fathers is not that recent and has been quietly been creeping into media and culture.

This is not that concept tho. This is the concept, supposedly, that the father can be female too.

I disagree that's where the author was going.

singleagain

Post Fri, Jun 07 2024, 7:43 pm
This line sounds more like a Mr. Mom joke.

amother
Mustard

Post Sat, Jun 08 2024, 10:34 pm
I agree, op. I don't think it's necessarily trans-related, but I don't like how it normalizes single parent homes as an ideal. Single parent homes are a tragedy.

amother
Sage

Post Sat, Jun 08 2024, 10:56 pm
ectomorph wrote:
This was really rude of you.

I don't appreciate being accused of bad motives because I posted that I'm uncomfortable sending my daughter to a party with only the father in attendance.

This is completely common sense.

What if she is an orphan and it's her older brother? A guy shouldn't be running little girls parties.

We shouldn't normalize ignoring common sense either.

If you’re going down the road that men are more likely to be pedophiles than boys are at risk too, so you shouldn’t send your son to a party run by boys or men either.

zaq

Post Sat, Jun 08 2024, 11:12 pm
Single parent families are not abnormal, though they may be sad, and they are far more common than you realize. If a child's parent is widowed, divorced, abandoned, or even voluntarily single --single people do adopt children, have children via AID,or have children the usual way-- how is that the child's fault? Why shouldn't children with just one parent have books to read about other children like them? Why should they be marginalized, always reading about intact families and never about families like theirs?

A book showing a normal happy child in an atypical family doesn't "normalize it as an ideal. " Would you say that about a book describing a child whose family is very poor but manages to have fun and be happy even so? Does that imply that poverty is an ideal? Well, better burn your Little Women, then! Come to think of it, burn many of your Gedolim stories, too.

amother
Mustard

Post Sat, Jun 08 2024, 11:38 pm
zaq wrote:
Single parent families are not abnormal, though they may be sad, and they are far more common than you realize. If a child's parent is widowed, divorced, abandoned, or even voluntarily single --single people do adopt children, have children via AID,or have children the usual way-- how is that the child's fault? Why shouldn't children with just one parent have books to read about other children like them? Why should they be marginalized, always reading about intact families and never about families like theirs?

A book showing a normal happy child in an atypical family doesn't "normalize it as an ideal. " Would you say that about a book describing a child whose family is very poor but manages to have fun and be happy even so? Does that imply that poverty is an ideal? Well, better burn your Little Women, then! Come to think of it, burn many of your Gedolim stories, too.
No. You can show that Annie is very content and happy living with her Dad. But that her Dad actually IS a mom, too? That I don't like. It might sound like subtle semantics to you, but I think there's a difference.

amother
Rainbow

Post Sat, Jun 08 2024, 11:55 pm
I was raised by a single mom. My father abandoned us and was never in the picture.
I bought her a Father's day card every year, because she was my mom and my dad.
Books that normalized our situation were a godsend when I was growing up in the 80s, when no one else we knew had a single parent family.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics