Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Helping autistic spectrum adult child find work

RaisinChallah

Post Fri, Jun 07 2024, 10:40 am
The phrase “adult child” sounds odd but you know what I mean. My son is 24 and in college, but will probably only get a an associates degree, which I realize it’s great, but it is limited in what it has prepared him. Looking back I probably should have sent him to specific classes for stuff he likes to do—video animation. I still can.

My question: what’s next? Anyone with suggestions for a young adult line that? Like I would love it if he could intern in a Jewish band. Or do video editing/animation in a frum place. He’s used to the secular world more or less but it would be nice for him to be in a frum environment I think. And shidduchim…I think that’s for a couple years down the line maybe. This is a person with mild cognitive impairment. Nice nice guy. I can’t betray him by not setting him on a good path. Yes he’s got some funding. But he needs a full life. This is a ramble. Thank you for reading till here…

amother
Narcissus

Post Fri, Jun 07 2024, 10:46 am
I think you are on the right track with the idea that he should be working in a field that he enjoys and excels at. You never know who will need the niche skills he can provide.

RaisinChallah

Post Fri, Jun 07 2024, 10:59 am
Thank you!

amother
Tealblue

Post Fri, Jun 07 2024, 12:26 pm
It is still not too late for him to take courses to gain skills that interest him.

Are there any organizations that work with adults making the transition or even a professional who advices on making the transition. It seems as though there are many neuro-divergent young adults who need help figuring out how to make the leap into adulthood.

cnc

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 12:55 am
Have you reached out to Makor Services?

https://makornetwork.org

TwinsMommy

Post Tue, Jun 11 2024, 8:39 pm
My son is 17 and we've hooked him up with our state office of disabilities who helped him with a summer work experience last summer and is having him take a 9 day career explorations class this summer. Most of the jobs aren't up his alley but he already knows what he likes to do and what he doesn't. As far as shidduchim, I'm not even thinking about it. I'm 99% certain this one won't get married--- some with autism can, I realize, but not my son. See if your state offers a similar program to explore work possibilities.

My daughter is also autistic but stumbled into a summer job that is truly up her alley so we haven't needed a lot of support for her yet. She says she'll never get married, but of the two, she's more likely so I hold out hope for grandkids. Smile

Yom tov in 5 minutes where I am---- if anyone is still reading--- Chag Sameach! Or, more likely, I hope your Shavuos was great.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)