Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
No more big toy bins! Hooray!

amother

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 12:23 pm
I used to have the big plastic bins in a corner of my living room, so the kids could just throw everything back in when they were done playing. But they couldn't find anything, so they'd dump out all their toys every time they were playing, and it was a big job cleaning up. Last week I bought a $30 Walmart bookshelf and got rid of the big bins. The kids can reach all the shelves on the new bookshelves by themselves except for the top one, and I got some pretty baskets and plastic containers (without lids) to hold the basics: toy food/dishes; menchies/animals; books; train tracks; a couple of games. Their dolls and stuffed animals sit on the shelves too. They have all been very good about cleaning up ever since. They do it by themselves without me hassling them. I think it just is a lot easier for them with everything organized and not overwhelming. And $30! Can't beat that price!

pinkbubbles

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 1:05 pm
Oh fab! Yay you! Very Happy Very Happy I love organizing Very Happy

Can you link us to the shelf you bought?

Raisin

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 1:29 pm
I just did something similar - I got a bunch of trofast shelves from ikea. it comes with plastic drawers that you can take out. There are sorts of shapes and sizes and there really easy to build.

ShakleeMom

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 4:49 pm
I got 2 bookshelves at Ikea that look like long W's. they're zig zag and they hold books at a slant. what's cool is that they're funky, and you can put the books separated by shape and type. Books have been organized for over a week now!

girliesmommy

Post Sat, Aug 30 2008, 5:17 pm
Raisin wrote:
I just did something similar - I got a bunch of trofast shelves from ikea. it comes with plastic drawers that you can take out. There are sorts of shapes and sizes and there really easy to build.

I just bought the same thing last week! My kids now get a thrill out of cleaning up the toys and putting everything in the right bin. Let's see how long it lasts. Rolling Eyes

Mimisinger

Post Sat, Aug 30 2008, 8:41 pm
I have the trofast, it's good. One of the buckets just broke though and the lids were a waste of money and space.

Raisin

Post Sat, Aug 30 2008, 9:03 pm
how long have you had it? I have some spare trofast drawers, we bought too many. I guess I'll put them safely away in case one of them breaks. I never got the lids either.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics