Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Babysitter might be pregnant - how to ask?

Nomad

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 2:34 pm
So I'm starting a new babysitter full time this week. After coming a couple of times over the last couple of weeks, I noticed that the babysitter is looking like she might be pregnant. problem is, shes a bigger person, so I dont know if she just put on weight or if shes pregnant. she has three kids already who are close in age, so it wouldnt be strange. But, I need to know if she is! I work 4 days a week, and finding a new babysitter is very hard, especially if she would have to stop mid-year. so I NEED to know so I can look for a new sitter now. what should I do????

SuperMama

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 3:44 pm
Wait until she tells you or until it is definitely noticeable. Or just look for another one meanwhile and have them lined up. I don't know.

mumsy23

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 3:51 pm
Say: "Before you start, I want you to understand that it is very important that I get a lot of notice if you decide to leave for any reason. If you know now that you might need to take off at anytime this year, please tell me so that I have extra time to find someone for when you are away. I tell this to all my babysitters because I have heard of people having really bad experiences with that."

And if she's pregnant she should get the hint!

mom23

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 4:01 pm
I definitely don't think you can ask her straight out if she is expecting.

You can reiterate your needs from her as a sitter and ask her if she is able to commit long term.
If she is expecting, I'm sure she will give you ample notice if she can't continue working. She might even have a back up plan in mind - meaning she might have someone willing to cover her while she is unable to work. If you're not comfortable with her person, you might be able to find a temporary person that you do like to cover the time the regular sitter is not available. Or you might choose to find another sitter altogether.

Whatever you do decide, you definitely have time on your side. And it's worth waiting the few weeks to know for sure. Who knows? She may not be expecting at all!

Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics