Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Am I not supposed to keep my baby home for a cold?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 6:15 pm
I have a 9 week old and she got her first cold a couple weeks ago and I stayed home from work with her for 2 days. She didn't have a fever so I guess daycare would technically have taken her but she was just so miserable and needing to be held all the time and I didn't want to send her to daycare to cry (they obviously can't hold her all day). When I got back to work my boss asked me what she had and I said "a cold" and she kind of raised her eyebrows at me but didn't say anything. This past Friday she got another cold and I called out sick again and my boss said "what is it, another cold?" in this like scoffing tone. I teach preschool so me being out means she has to find a sub which isn't so easy. But am I really supposed to send a miserable sick baby to daycare for 8 hours? 😔 What do other working moms do?

amother
Viola

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 6:20 pm
I wouldn’t keep like a one year old fever free with a cold home unless they were miserable. But a newborn baby is different. I would want to monitor a newborn baby with a cold. You said the first cold was a few weeks ago and baby is only 9 weeks
Now- that means baby was 6-7 weeks then? Def made the right choice. Baby is miserable and it’s important to monitor a newborn with a cold.

TwinsMommy

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 6:20 pm
if she's 9 weeks and already has had two colds you might be better off with a babysitter in your home rather than a daycare. Unfortunately that's generally more expensive. But a 1:1 nanny in your home might likely still come if your baby has a cold whereas a daycare wouldn't hold her all day. Discuss with your family what you should do for the baby immune system wise aside from child care----- I gave my babies vitamin drops but it was a long time ago so I don't know what the deal is now with babies and immunity. At any rate, your boss was rude.

amother
Offwhite

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 6:25 pm
I work full time but at 9 weeks I would stay home with a baby with a cold. I would never let my baby go at that age unwell to daycare knowing no one is going to hold them when they are crying. My husband and I will split taking off if a young baby were sick frequently. We do this in general with sick kids. What works for us is he would stay in morning (I can start work really early ) and then come home early and he goes and stays late

amother
Latte

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 6:32 pm
Daycare kids will get a million colds. That's a fact. You will not be able to stay home for all of them. If it makes you feel better to stay home the first few, especially since summer vacation is coming, go for it, but it's not a long term plan. I find when they have a cold they chill in the bouncer or swing more at daycare instead of being put down for tummy time.

amother
Nemesia

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 6:40 pm
I would stay home for a cold until 16 weeks if possible. Colds for a newborn are dangerous. Colds for bigger babies are not.

amother
Mimosa

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 7:39 pm
You did the right thing. Can you find a private babysitter to come to your house so she can get better care in general?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 7:52 pm
Is there any way you can bring your baby to work with you when she is sick?

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 9:29 pm
No, I wouldn't stay home for every cold. It's not feasible. Your baby will get lots of colds during the first year of life.
You need to make sure:
Baby is breathing ok, eating well, having wet diapers. No fever. For fever I would definitely take off.
Then yes, unfortunately if you have a job, you will have to bring the baby to daycare and go to work. If you can find alternate daycare (like Grandma to watch the baby), then even better. But no, you will not be able to keep your job and keep taking off.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Mon, Jun 10 2024, 4:11 am
It's crazy that you had to go back to work so soon! For your boss to now be making eyes at you for taking off when your baby is sick is not ok! We all know that there's no such thing as "just a cold" for a newborn. Next time when your boss asks what's wrong, try "my baby is having trouble feeding and breathing and I'm so worried!"
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics