Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Not staying up all night

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 10 2024, 3:52 pm
My husband just told me that Ger doesn't say tikun or stay up the first night of Shavuos.
I'm asking respectfuly, are there any Ger imas that can explain why not?
Ona different note, are there any other sects that don't stay up the first night?

Chaya2023

Post Mon, Jun 10 2024, 3:57 pm
I know a lot of Ger people.

The Reason is that they prioritize a normal Davening without falling asleep and a normal yom tov day over the minhag of staying up

amother
Marigold

Post Mon, Jun 10 2024, 4:00 pm
never mind, deleted.

amother
Jean

Post Mon, Jun 10 2024, 4:12 pm
Chaya2023 wrote:

The Reason is that they prioritize a normal Davening without falling asleep and a normal yom tov day over the minhag of staying up

Yes, this.

amother
Yolk

Post Mon, Jun 10 2024, 4:19 pm
My husband doesn’t stay up, it’s just not his thing. He works long and hard during the week, and he can’t be up all night.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jun 10 2024, 4:25 pm
There are many men out there that dont stay up. They either need their sleep or because of a host of any number of other reasons.
Its not halacha. Its a minhag.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Mon, Jun 10 2024, 4:27 pm
Rav gifter never stayed up all night in yeshiva

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Jun 10 2024, 4:29 pm
My husband learns for a couple of hours and then goes to sleep. He said there is no point in staying up if he can’t concentrate anymore. (He is usually wakes up early and goes to sleep early)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 10 2024, 4:35 pm
Chaya2023 wrote:

So all the men who do stay up don't prioritize a good davening?

Another thing, I hear the davening thing, but why not say Tikun?

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jun 10 2024, 4:47 pm
There's no Halacha to stay up all night. It's a minhag. And there are other Halachos that might trump staying up all night.
Every man reacts differently to lack of sleep, and some would have a poor davening the next day, which is Halacha.

DH stays up as late as he can but then goes to sleep. He prioritizes daytime learning (interesting that Rav Gifter didn't stay up all night. DH's RY...)

Chaya2023

Post Mon, Jun 10 2024, 5:02 pm
amother OP wrote:

OP,

Nobody said anything against the people who stay up. Like other replies mentioned here its a minhag and not everybody has the same minhag...

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Jun 10 2024, 6:35 pm
"All night" is not so long when davening neitz . Dont forget Yom tov starts very late followed by getting home from shul and having a seda..
I'm thinking from usa but if in Europe way shorter until day break

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Jun 13 2024, 5:58 am
In Israel netz is 5:30am, that means davening starts about 5.
And the evening seuda ends ~10pm, so that's quite a long night.

My DH davens at netz on a regular day, but he can't stay up all night, he won't be able to learn well or daven well - so on shavuot he goes to bed after the seuda as usual, and then gets up about 3am to learn before davening.

someone

Post Thu, Jun 13 2024, 6:03 am
There is a joke that yeshiva bachurim go to sleep after Tikkun Leil Shavuot and wake up from the shofar on Rosh Chodesh Elul. My husband always says that if he stayed up all night that would be him - it would take him a week or more to get back on track and in that week he would miss a lot of learning. Obviously there is no right or wrong, everyone has to do what they think is best for their avodat Hashem.
And lots of communities don't say the tikkun - I don't think its a universal thing.

salt

Post Thu, Jun 13 2024, 6:04 am
amother OP wrote:

From what I understand the Tikun is very long. Can take a few hours.

amother
Mulberry

Post Thu, Jun 13 2024, 6:55 am
The minhag of staying up was not meant so that they should be sleeping by day, it was meant to encourage more torah learning but if that means more sleep during the day and less yom tov atmosphere, perhaps sleeping a few hours at night is a good idea.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Jun 13 2024, 11:00 pm
amother Copper wrote:
In Israel netz is 5:30am, that means davening starts about 5.
And the evening seuda ends ~10pm, so that's quite a long night.

My DH davens at netz on a regular day, but he can't stay up all night, he won't be able to learn well or daven well - so on shavuot he goes to bed after the seuda as usual, and then gets up about 3am to learn before davening.

My husband didn’t even come home from shul until 9:30, so no way we were finishing by 10:00. What time did Yom tov start where you are? Here it was about 8:10, give or take a few minutes.

amother
IndianRed

Post Thu, Jun 13 2024, 11:41 pm
Spare a thought for us in the southern hemisphere… 😆
it’s winter now, so yomtov starts before 5pm.
Staying up all night is really hours and hours and hours of learning.
Our meal was over by 8:30.
My husband went to sleep after finishing the tikkun (and giving and going to other shiurim). But my teenager stayed up till shacharis, after 6!
It was freezing cold and raining, but there were lots of bochurim and men up learning BH.
(The early night means there is also opportunity for women to have shiurim)

Just thinking now, for those that want to stay up it’s very long, but the long night means that there’s plenty of time for someone to complete the tikkun and get some learning in, and still make it to bed before midnight.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 12:14 am
Ema of 5 wrote:
My husband didn’t even come home from shul until 9:30, so no way we were finishing by 10:00. What time did Yom tov start where you are? Here it was about 8:10, give or take a few minutes.

In israel chag started at 7:30.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics