Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
5 yr old son cut his peyos on one side. Suggestions

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 10 2024, 6:06 pm
My 5 year old Ds decided to cut his hair because it was knotty. This is unfortunately my fault because he saw me do this to my hair and decided to copy. The very bad news is he did it to some of his peyot. On one side. Looks really ridiculous. Anyway to save it?

amother
Peachpuff

Post Mon, Jun 10 2024, 6:13 pm
Did he cut it completely or just shorter?
If he cut it shorter, you can cut the other one to even it out.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 10 2024, 6:15 pm
He cut strands from one side.

amother
Glitter

Post Mon, Jun 10 2024, 6:24 pm
You could check in with a jewish barber if their is a way to make it less noticeable I wouldn't compromise on the other side. Do your best. He will for a while have everyone questioning about the cut pesos. He might be embarrassed but won't do it again. It's a consequence for his action. Best sneriocwould be if the barber could somehow fix it up. Hopefully his hair will grow fast .

amother
Poinsettia

Post Mon, Jun 10 2024, 6:26 pm
1. It grows back
2. It's a right of passage...
That said, I commiserate with you, but wouldn't stress much

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 12:53 am
My daughter cut her hair at age 4 because she wanted to make a collage for her beloved Grandma. She didn't really understand that it wouldn't grow back immediately. Fortunately, it wasn't too much. Grandma had a good laugh because she had done the same at age 4, but to much greater effect. I explained how hair grows and she didn't do it again. I would talk to him and explain why cutting is a bad idea. Also, maybe talk to him about the halachos so he understands why we don't cut them. Is there a way you can detangle the payos in the future? Can you tuck it behind his ears until it grows a little more?

amother
Magnolia

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 12:57 am
My 3 year old cut part of his payos on one side but it's not very noticeable so I just said that he can't do that anymore but left it at that

amother
Pear

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 2:57 am
A barber can even out both sides so it looks less noticeable without needing to chop off much.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 3:15 am
It's common. I know a similar aged boy who also cut off his peyos and his mother had a very extreme reaction. She literally spent the entire week crying and making a big deal out of it.
Don't be like that mother.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 3:40 am
Your mean his peyos were knotty?
Please please please take care if those knots in the first place. A five year old needs help with hair. It's your job.

Signed
Once a little girl whose mother didn't supervised hair brushing. Resulted in knots which were very painful to brush out. Crying

amother
Cyclamen

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 9:24 am
Leave it and let it grow out, or cut it (and the other side) to even it out. A child giving themselves a haircut is pretty common. It might look odd temporarily, but it will grow out.

momof2+?

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 10:00 am
You haven’t said how long the hair is-
If you are asking about short hairs sticking out, you can use gel to make those hairs less noticeable as they grow out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers