Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Driveway car takes street parking
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Mint

Post Yesterday at 4:18 am
singleagain wrote:
If someone is blocking your driveway, call a tow truck. They will stop blocking your driveway very quickly.

I get more annoyed when someone parks in between what could be two spots. I don't have a driveway. A lot of my neighbors do some of them park in the driveway. Some of them don't. I honestly don't know because I don't pay attention to which cars belong to which houses.

But what annoys me is when there are certain areas of curb that can fit two or three cars and one person parks in such a way that they only are parking one or two cars in that spot. That's what annoys me.

Part of me kind of wants to paint lines on the curb like hey, you can fit three cars here but I don't know if that's appropriate.

Waiting for someone to come tow away the car each time is not always feasible unless you don't have to be anywhere at a specific time. A one time lesson only works if there's only one person who ever blocks the driveway. It's not such a quick lesson.

I have a driveway but there are times when I can't park in it or choose not to. But I don't live on Brooklyn and there's plenty of street parking.

Ema of 5

Post Yesterday at 4:18 am
teachkids wrote:
You can fight it easily with proof you live there, but you have to spend the time fighting it.

It’s not easy if it takes a lot of time.

kenz

Post Yesterday at 4:38 am
teachkids wrote:
You can fight it easily with proof you live there, but you have to spend the time fighting it.

A policeman told me years ago it’s illegal to block any driveway, even your own.

amother
Hunter

Post Yesterday at 6:15 am
In order to get a car blocking your driveway towed in nyc, the police first have to issue a ticket. If you call 311, sometimes the police will show up. Meanwhile you can't get out of your driveway if it's blocked. Then you have to call a tow truck and wait at least an hour for it to show up.

A few weeks sgo, I couldn't get out of my driveway so stayed home. If the parking spot in front of my house is available, I park there. If people would be more considerate about how they park in front of my house, I would use my driveway more often. The real problem is that people are driving very large minivans or SUVs and the parking spot really isn't all that long. Even sedans are usually too long and block my driveway. So it's a problem for the homeowners with driveways too.

amother
Maroon

Post Yesterday at 6:19 am
amother Raspberry wrote:
Its illegal to block any driveway incl your own

No, It is not illegal. Even if there's a sign "do not block". There are certain blocks in BP where every other house has a driveway & everyone parks on the street because they want the driveway for their children to play at. That is horribly selfish & inconsiderate. They should at least block their own driveway instead of taking up an additional spot on a street where it's so hard to find parking.

amother
Maroon

Post Yesterday at 6:21 am
amother Nemesia wrote:
I've known people who got tickets for it in Brooklyn.

Maybe if they blocked an emergency or commercial driveway. Blocking a regular residential driveway, is not illegal. Even if there's a sign posted. Most BP driveways are illegal driveways.

amother
Maroon

Post Yesterday at 6:22 am
amother Hyssop wrote:
It's not hysterical.
It's because of people with your attitude that I cant use my driveway.
If I have to worry about not being able to get out of my driveway because people are blocking me in, well then guess what. I won't use my driveway.

When people become more considerate and stop blocking my driveway, then I'll think about using it. Until then, stop blocking mine.

You're not the driveway police.

It's the other way around. People block the driveway because they know that the owners never ever park in the driveway and they're fed up by the owners selfishness & them have to circle for a long time to search for parking.
The least you can do if you refuse to park in your driveway, is block your own driveway so neighbors have an easier time with parking. Being considerate goes both ways.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Yesterday at 6:30 am
Um, It’s public parking, anyone can park there, someone with a driveway and someone without are both equally entitled to park there.

I don’t know why someone without a driveway thinks they have more of a claim to the street parking. Someone with a driveway might have multiple vehicles, or have a hard time navigating driveway or other valid reason but guess what- they don’t need a reason to park in the street, they have a right to park where they want.

Plus, with public parking, it’s not like if your neighbor doesn’t take the spot, you will get it; someone else will just occupy it, so it’s not taking anything from you.

What I have seen people do, is tell a neighbor without a driveway: if you can’t find parking let me know and I will swap spaces and put my car in the drive.

amother
Maroon

Post Yesterday at 6:41 am
amother Cinnamon wrote:
Um, It’s public parking, anyone can park there, someone with a driveway and someone without are both equally entitled to park there.

I don’t know why someone without a driveway thinks they have more of a claim to the street parking. Someone with a driveway might have multiple vehicles, or have a hard time navigating driveway or other valid reason but guess what- they don’t need a reason to park in the street, they have a right to park where they want.

Plus, with public parking, it’s not like if your neighbor doesn’t take the spot, you will get it; someone else will just occupy it, so it’s not taking anything from you.

What I have seen people do, is tell a neighbor without a driveway: if you can’t find parking let me know and I will swap spaces and put my car in the drive.

Yes, everyone is equally entitled to street parking. But from a middos/menchlichkeit POV, it is inconsiderate to others to take up additional parking on a street where it's hard to find parking. I think it's just selfish to not park in your driveway because you want your kids to play in the driveway. At least block your own driveway so others have an easier time parking.
Of course everyone is entitled to park on the street, but it's poor middos nevertheless.

bsy

Post Yesterday at 6:46 am
I have a very narrow shared driveway. It's quite difficult to get in and pull back, and if I do, I can't open the passenger doors. If there is a street spot, I take it. If not, I spend the extra time and hassle getting into the driveway.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Yesterday at 6:49 am
amother Maroon wrote:
Yes, everyone is equally entitled to street parking. But from a middos/menchlichkeit POV, it is inconsiderate to others to take up additional parking on a street where it's hard to find parking. I think it's just selfish to not park in your driveway because you want your kids to play in the driveway. At least block your own driveway so others have an easier time parking.
Of course everyone is entitled to park on the street, but it's poor middos nevertheless.

It’s not poor middos just because you decided it’s poor middos- that’s not how it works.
Obviously, people who park on the street despite having a driveway, don’t consider it poor middos.

amother
Hotpink

Post Yesterday at 7:02 am
I would assume that someone who doesn't use their driveway to park would generally have a valid reason to do so.

If parking is hard to find then not using their driveway is going to be more difficult because what is the likelihood that they would find street parking right in front of their house?

I grew up on a block in which parking wasn't an issue and we had a driveway so no one cared what you did. When I got my own car at most I would have to park two houses away on the street because my parents used the driveway.

But Brooklyn driveways are so narrow that the only reason they could comfortably use the driveway is because the lawn in the front was long enough so that they could park in the area of the driveway because it was between the houses. That area was very narrow and if you parked in that narrow area if would be difficult to get in and out when doors are open.

Many of the homes in Borough Park have very short front yards and so in order to not block the sidewalk you have to park in the area between the houses which is narrow. Not to mention that many people might have two cars and therefore are saving the driveway for someone else to use.

amother
Maroon

Post Yesterday at 7:03 am
amother Cinnamon wrote:
It’s not poor middos just because you decided it’s poor middos- that’s not how it works.
Obviously, people who park on the street despite having a driveway, don’t consider it poor middos.

Most people that have poor middos, don't consider themselves to be having poor middos.....

amother
Maroon

Post Yesterday at 7:04 am
bsy wrote:
I have a very narrow shared driveway. It's quite difficult to get in and pull back, and if I do, I can't open the passenger doors. If there is a street spot, I take it. If not, I spend the extra time and hassle getting into the driveway.

If the driveway is not used by both you & the neighbor, perhaps park in front of the driveway.

Amarante

Post Yesterday at 7:06 am
amother Maroon wrote:
If the driveway is not used by both you & the neighbor, perhaps park in front of the driveway.

Most narrow driveways aren't long enough to actually use as a parking spot.

amother
Tuberose

Post Yesterday at 7:06 am
We share a driveway and it stays empty unless the street parking is full. This way the kids can play without cars pulling in and out all day. It seems very entitled to tell me go use my driveway for parking. It's my property. I want it for playing. Next.

Ema of 5

Post Yesterday at 7:10 am
amother Maroon wrote:
It's the other way around. People block the driveway because they know that the owners never ever park in the driveway and they're fed up by the owners selfishness & them have to circle for a long time to search for parking.
The least you can do if you refuse to park in your driveway, is block your own driveway so neighbors have an easier time with parking. Being considerate goes both ways.

So why do people block my driveway on a street where there is ample parking? I DO park in my driveway, every single day and night. I have been blocked in more times than I can count. They didn’t do it because I don’t use my driveway. They did it because they are selfish and they don’t care. It doesn’t matter if a car is in the driveway or not, just don’t block the driveway, not even a little bit. Check your car before walking away, and make sure that, if someone needs to get in or out of the driveway, they can.

amother
Impatiens

Post Yesterday at 7:11 am
singleagain wrote:
If someone is blocking your driveway, call a tow truck. They will stop blocking your driveway very quickly.

I get more annoyed when someone parks in between what could be two spots. I don't have a driveway. A lot of my neighbors do some of them park in the driveway. Some of them don't. I honestly don't know because I don't pay attention to which cars belong to which houses.

But what annoys me is when there are certain areas of curb that can fit two or three cars and one person parks in such a way that they only are parking one or two cars in that spot. That's what annoys me.

Part of me kind of wants to paint lines on the curb like hey, you can fit three cars here but I don't know if that's appropriate.

It will take hours and usually by then the person moved their car.

amother
Impatiens

Post Yesterday at 7:13 am
amother Cinnamon wrote:

Either it's poor middos or it's not. The fact that some do it and those people don't consider it poor middos doesn't mean they are correct.

The people who make a loud backyard party till 3 in the morning seemingly don't consider it bad middos either.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Yesterday at 7:16 am
And I live in a condo where every unit gets 2 tandem spaces- Ie 1 row that 2 cars should park. So the owner is parking behind their other car. There are also a few guest spaces. 1-2 units don't use their spaces or only park one car in them and instead use guest. They feel entitled to use guest and that means no guest spots for the rest of the building. The HOA is worthless and refuses to act on it because that family is a big bully. And yes they are Jewish. So obnoxious. Use your own spot!!
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette