Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
URGENT:Does the roast beef stay uncovered in oven throughout

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 11 2024, 5:38 am
https://www.kosher.com/recipe/.....-2493

When you bake a roast beef, using recipes like this, where roast bakes for about 3 hours, it stays uncovered for 3 hours?

This is step 5 and its not clear abobout whether to cover some of the time, all lof the time, none of the time.

Place in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven or simmer over a low heat, turning occasionally, until fork tender (two and a half to three and a half hours). (The roast may be prepared up to this point up to two days in advance, cooled, covered and stored in the refrigerator before reheating.)

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Jun 11 2024, 5:48 am
I would cover

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Tue, Jun 11 2024, 5:48 am
No. Cover it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 11 2024, 5:50 am
Question: Heres a top rated recipe from Allrecipes, and it doesnt say a word about covering.

https://www.allrecipes.com/rec.....beef/

Place in the preheated oven and roast for 60 minutes, or 20 minutes per pound if your roast is larger or smaller. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read 120 to 125 degrees F (49 to 52 degrees C).

Rappel

Post Tue, Jun 11 2024, 5:52 am
Cover for all 3 hours

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 11 2024, 5:52 am
That is a very strange recipe because a pot roast for a chuck or shoulder cut is braised.

That is because those are tough cuts of meat which require long slow cutting in liquid so that the liquid and the length of the cooking break down the tough meat fibers and melt the collagen

It should be covered from the start and cooked at a low temperature - either a Dutch oven which generally has a lid or cover the roasting pan. I think a Dutch oven is better because it cooks in a smaller space which creates a moister environment as roasting pans tend to be large and rectangular.

The type of meat cuts which are roasted without a cover are the very tender ones like a standing rib roast. You typically cook them with dry heat and for not that long a time because most people want them to be medium rare at most for best results.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 6:04 am
Update: Despite recipes with very good ratings, imho, baking a Chuck Eye Roast in minimal sauce is a bad idea. I wouldnt do it again. I get much better results in the crock pot.

Amarante

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 6:09 am
amother OP wrote:
Update: Despite recipes with very good ratings, imho, baking a Chuck Eye Roast in minimal sauce is a bad idea. I wouldnt do it again. I get much better results in the crock pot.

Not surprised as that is a cut of meat that is meant to be braised. A crockpot essentially braises tough cuts of meat because it cooks for a long time at a low temperature in a moist/steamy atmosphere.

Not to be snarky but many people are terrible cooks and like food that is not well prepared.

My mother used to joke about when people recommended a restaurant that was terrible that their mothers most have been bad cooks LOL A bit gender biased since she didn't blame the fathers LOL

An Instant Pot can be very useful as well as it can also be used as a pressure cooker so that you can the benefit of braising without needing for it to cook that long. You can also saute in it which is very helpful because the best results are when you sear meat before braising and that is much easier to do in the same pot - you saute - and then you pressure cook or slow cook without additional pots/pans to deal with or transferring the food.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 7:53 am
Pot roast/roast beef is covered.

Roasted meat like a silver tip that is left medium rare, is kept uncovered (and you'll notice the temp is higher and the cooking time is quicker).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen