Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Summer Homeschooling/homecamping, what to do?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 12 2024, 8:23 pm
Hi!

I'm not a homeschooler, but I won't be working this summer, so I'm very excited to "homeschool" my 1st grader this summer (no camp, I mean).

I would love to teach her something that would make it memorable, like riding a bike, but she already knows how to ride a bike. Any other ideas? She is very athletic. She likes craft making and drawing (but I am bad at those, but could buy supplies and put on a youTube video). She also likes dance, but I can't dance, so it would have to be YouTube videos.

Budget is pretty low.

There are younger siblings at home, but they are probably too young for anything.

Any ideas?

Rappel

Post Wed, Jun 12 2024, 8:34 pm
Schedule, schedule , schedule. It creates healthy routine and expectations.

We combine summer activities with summer hw - the pool is big, and so is academics and torah. We go on trips once a week. We garden. Gardening science projects are great, too. Campfires periodically. Baking is another great context for fun and science.

juggling

Post Wed, Jun 12 2024, 10:07 pm
I like the idea of having her work on a specific crafting project that takes time to complete. Maybe teach her to knit or crochet? If you don't know how maybe hire someone to teach her once or twice, until she gets the hang of it on her own. And then she can work on a project that she can do in daily increments, finishing it by the end of the summer.

salt

Post Wed, Jun 12 2024, 10:31 pm
Does she swim?

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Jun 13 2024, 12:31 pm
Can you teach her to swim?

You can rent pools by the hour with swimply if you don't have a public pool to go to or a neighbor you can rent from

Learning to roller blade can also be memorable

Is she arts and crafty?
There are tons of kits on amazon and target

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 13 2024, 8:27 pm
salt wrote:
Does she swim?

No, but we got pool passes last week, and she's making so much progress that I think she'll be swimming BEFORE summer vacation starts (July 1 in Israel). We'll definitely go to the pool often though!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 13 2024, 8:28 pm
amother Aqua wrote:
Can you teach her to swim?

You can rent pools by the hour with swimply if you don't have a public pool to go to or a neighbor you can rent from

Learning to roller blade can also be memorable

Is she arts and crafty?
There are tons of kits on amazon and target

She loooooves arts and crafts. Shipping to Israel may be not worth it, but if you know of kits that ship cheaply to Israel, please send links!

dankbar

Post Thu, Jun 13 2024, 9:47 pm
If you make a theme it's more interesting

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Jun 13 2024, 9:51 pm
I’m planning on doing this with my kids around that age. We hope to be super structured. And each kid has a summer goal, my first grader is to learn to play the keyboard. I got him a teach yourself type of book and he’s super excited to get it when school is over… I do have arts n crafts for rainy days but that’s more a plan b. Hoping to keep the kids outdoors as much as possible. I love the garden idea!

mushkamothers

Post Thu, Jun 13 2024, 9:59 pm
Scrapbook

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Jun 13 2024, 10:13 pm
My daughter that age learned to jump rope and wants me to turn the rope for her for like an hr each day!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics