Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Dressing Girls
1  2  Next

At what age do you start putting on skirts and dresses on your girls?
As soon as they start walking?  
 13%  [ 5 ]
Right Away?  
 33%  [ 12 ]
From 1 Year?  
 5%  [ 2 ]
From 2 years?  
 22%  [ 8 ]
Only when they cant wear pants anymore?  
 25%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 36

amother

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 1:36 am
What age do your little princesses start wearing dresses and skirts?

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 1:45 am
she will be wearing skirts her whole life! give her a break... same for 18 month old boys with shabbos suits!

Aidelmom

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 5:35 am
Aidel is 10 mos. k'h and I put skirts on her sometimes. I see she has a hard time crawling in them so I'll put them on her more if I'm going out and she won't be crawling much anyway. They definitly look cute. I didn't vote because none of the choices seemed to fit.

Seraph

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 5:43 am
I would put skirts on girls regularly (but not exclusively) only once they are walking. skirts ride up and as long as they're crawling, it makes no sense for them to wear skirts or dresses. Once they're 3 it'll be exclusively skirts.

Aidelmom

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 5:46 am
lol seraph I guess I make no sense!

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 5:46 am
I would only put them on maybe for shabbat or yom tov when she would be a little bit older. but as seraph said, its silly to have a little crawler wear a skirt or dress because it rides up and then whats the point?

I will let my daughter deside when she wants to wear skirts. obviously when she stars school she will have to wear skirts but until then, if she wants to wear pants, so be it.

Seraph

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 5:52 am
Aidelmom wrote:
lol seraph I guess I make no sense!
No, you're just picking beauty over practicality... I would definitely not put a crawling girl in a skirt in the winter, that much I know.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 5:57 am
Have you seen tiny skirts and dresses for newborn? how could I NOT use them??
I put her in dress on day 2 or 3 at hospital and the nurses all said she was adorable. Just don't forget that in the beginning she will need tights most of the year. Leggings are good to play without scraping the knees.

happyone

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 7:01 am
ShakleeMom wrote:
she will be wearing skirts her whole life! give her a break... same for 18 month old boys with shabbos suits!

Thumbs Up

Raisin

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 7:07 am
a few people (not frum) gave me dresses as baby gifts for my dd, they said they weren't sure if I would put trousers on her. LOL

Ruchel

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 7:23 am
well, there are those who put even boys in dresses in the beginning. Although I'm not sure how common it is anymore.

RachelEve14

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 7:54 am
From about 2 they have been mostly in dresses / skirts, but if there were pants lying around I would allow them to be worn. When they go to gan (so the season after they turn 3) all the pants go away. Nothing halachic and many girls wear pants here even until 6, dh and I just decided starting gan was a good place to make the break between baby & big girl.

jba

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 9:34 am
DD #1 wore skirts occasionally until she could crawl, from then on she wore pants. When she started walking I put her in yoga pants b/c they were easier to move in and they covered her knees. This summer (she's almost two) she wore a mix of pants, shorts and skirts. DH and I have been wondering when to start skirts only, but I think I am going to wait until she is 5-6. Although I will probably just start buying more skirts than pants when she is around 3. She is a kid and kids play and run and I don't want to limit her ability to di that by putting her in a skirt when she can't handle it.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 10:01 am
Have you seen charedi playgrounds? I can tell you they are quite not limited by their long skirts, tights, what you want. When you have the habit, you do anything in it. Like the kids in glasses or kippa or tzitzis out deal with them and you don't see them removing them before playing. I was surprised too, but the way the girls run, bike, play the ball, jump... in some charedi Israeli playgrounds they're at least as "wild" as the boys.

Without comparing, since my girl doesn't wear tights when it's hot outside but is always in skirt, I can tell you sometimes I wish she was made a bit slower by her clothing LOL

Now, I suppose switching to skirt from pants is more difficult than growing up adapting to living in skirt. One of the reasons, apart from looks, why I didn't start pants. I also don't know if pant for her age would fit, she's so huge Twisted Evil LOL

zigi

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 10:03 am
dd had a few dresses and jumpers as a newborn when she was crawling she wore pants. most of the shorts that I had for her were skorts. when she finally walked she wore shabbos dresses. then at 2 she wore pants when it was cold when it was warmer she mostly wore skirts.

miriamnechama

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 10:06 am
right now I have no girls...so who knows what wll be....

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 10:13 am
I've been thinking about this. my mother asked me what I would do. she put me in skirts/jumpers exclusively from age 3. I remember the day she said no more pants.

well, having taught preschool kids, I'm not sure. a three year old doesn't sit properly. I think by the time she's in a school that doesn't allow pants I'll get rid of them. so I don't necessarily mind if pants are still there by five. I think it depends on the child.

I should also mention that my daughter will not be a full-time tights wearer, so she really will have to know how to sit appropriately in a skirt.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 11:01 am
What if school is the machmir MO type and says skirts are only mandatory after bas mitzva, just "encouraged" before? teenage is the worst age for such a change imho. Or what if school is stam MO and doesn't care about pants?
I would not not go by school.

manhattanmom

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 11:52 am
RachelEve14 wrote:
From about 2 they have been mostly in dresses / skirts, but if there were pants lying around I would allow them to be worn. When they go to gan (so the season after they turn 3) all the pants go away. Nothing halachic and many girls wear pants here even until 6, dh and I just decided starting gan was a good place to make the break between baby & big girl.

That sounds like what I'd do--starting preschool--except for maybe putting leggings under a skirt if they're running and climbing in the park, riding a bike, etc. ...but so far I have a boy!

PIP

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 12:42 pm
Mother of a lot of girls here Smile
I'll only put dresses on them when they're walking, and that's not all the time, I still dress them in pants until the season before they turn 3 (this way I don't have to buy a whole new wardrobe by their birthday) On Shabbat once they're walking I like a dress, that's just my prefrence, I feel it's more Shabbosdig.

Ruchel, this day and age MO ortherdox schools DO NOT allow pants after nursery MAYBE kindergarten. They have a regular dress code, skirts covering the knee, they're not makpid about long sleeves until High School, but you're never allowed sleeveless, or wear leggings under a skirt, and you always have to wear sock (not high socks, but some kind of ankle sock). High school is stricter, you need to cover the collarbone, elbows, must wear stockings ,everything.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics