Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Buying a home in Monsey / $20,000 govt. grant

amother

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 2:22 am
Hello everybody,

I'm looking to buy a house in the new development in Monsey, by the Widman Court area. The houses there seem pretty affordable compared to others in the Brooklyn market these days (that's where I live now.) I'm trying to find out, I've heard the govt. gives a $20,000.00 grant to first time homebuyers. Does anyone have more details on this??? Is there anyone that got this grant??

MMEC123

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 11:18 am
I don't know what type you are but I get the impression that the new development will be pretty much all chassidim. This of course is not a bad thing but if you are not chassidish you might feel out of place.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 11:22 am
I am chassidish...

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 11:26 am
I'm not sure but I beleive you have to show that you are at minimum wage yet want a house for the first time. something like that. My friend was matzliach in NJ.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 9:20 pm
Does anyone know what is considered minimum wage to qualify for the $20,000 grant from the govt.?

happyone

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 9:28 pm
I know some ppl that tried getting the grant but don't know anyone that actually succeeded. I believe the grant was for families eligible for section 8, and buying a house for the first time. The question is how someone can afford the amount the houses are selling for, and eligible for section 8. That's the reason most ppl are not eligible at the end of the day for the grant.
That area is not only chassidim btw - I believe you'll find all types there. If you want the Bates/Horton area, I hear they drastically reduced the prices there and have done a nice job with the designing of the homes.

Good luck.

sunshine!

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 9:33 pm
My husband actually researched the grant thing, and learned that there is actually a very narrow income bracket you must fall within, in order to be eligible. For the amount of our specific loan we had to make between 60-72 thousand dollars and were ineligible because we were making too much money. Any reputable company involved in mortgages can give you the specific guidelines.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating