Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Do frum people get food poisoning less often?
1  2  Next

readreread

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 7:01 pm
I know this is a weird question, let me say that up front. But I think about this every time I'm checking my lettuce.

Do you think frum people get food poisoning less often? Leafy greens are the main source of foodborne illness, and I know we're all washing our lettuce to death.

amother
Trillium

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 7:03 pm
Nope. Frum people tend to not know the rules of defrosting food safely, leaving food to cool safely or how to tell that food has a chance it’s spoiled. Frum people tend to get food poisoning unfortunately. It’s one of my pet peeves on here when people say smell it or boil it thinking that that bacteria has an odor or that it can be boiled away.

giftedmom

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 7:06 pm
Bugs aren’t the same thing as bacteria and water doesn’t remove bacteria. Maybe we eat less weird seafood though

amother
Currant

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 7:09 pm
amother Trillium wrote:
Nope. Frum people tend to not know the rules of defrosting food safely, leaving food to cool safely or how to tell that food has a chance it’s spoiled. Frum people tend to get food poisoning unfortunately.

What do you base this assumption on?

zaq

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 7:09 pm
Right, we don't have to worry about bad oysters or trichinosis from undercooked pork but that's about it.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 7:10 pm
giftedmom wrote:
Bugs aren’t the same thing as bacteria and water doesn’t remove bacteria. Maybe we eat less weird seafood though

Not the way I wash my lettuce! If you soak them soapy water and then wash it off under a pressurized stream you get rid of bacteria too.

amother
Trillium

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 7:11 pm
amother Currant wrote:
What do you base this assumption on?

Hundreds of posts on here and discussions in real life. The lack of food safety knowledge is really tragic.

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 7:12 pm
I've gotten food poisoning from restaurants with very highly regarded hashgacha, as well as in very frum people's homes. So my vote is NO.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 7:12 pm
amother Trillium wrote:
Nope. Frum people tend to not know the rules of defrosting food safely, leaving food to cool safely or how to tell that food has a chance it’s spoiled. Frum people tend to get food poisoning unfortunately. It’s one of my pet peeves on here when people say smell it or boil it thinking that that bacteria has an odor or that it can be boiled away.

I don’t know where you circulate, but in my circles people tend to be extra hygienic, especially when it comes to food. Chassidish for reference.

amother
Trillium

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 7:14 pm
amother Hibiscus wrote:
I don’t know where you circulate, but in my circles people tend to be extra hygienic, especially when it comes to food. Chassidish for reference.

I don’t find this to be true sorry. Too many leave food out to defrost and cool off unsafely. It’s not about hygiene it’s about understanding how bacteria grows and that knowledge is lacking.

amother
Currant

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 7:15 pm
amother Trillium wrote:
Hundreds of posts on here and discussions in real life. The lack of food safety knowledge is really tragic.

Posts here demonstrating a lack of knowledge do not consist anything near proof to your asserssion that from people get food posining more often not to the assertion that it is due to lack of knowledge about food safety more than in the general public

amother
Currant

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 7:17 pm
amother Trillium wrote:
I don’t find this to be true sorry. Too many leave food out to defrost and cool off unsafely. It’s not about hygiene it’s about understanding how bacteria grows and that knowledge is lacking.

Again, this means nothing in regards to comparing statistics between from people and the general public.
And one is too many. That's not a number or a percentage.

amother
Trillium

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 7:18 pm
amother Currant wrote:
Posts here demonstrating a lack of knowledge do not consist anything near proof to your asserssion that from people get food posining more often not to the assertion that it is due to lack of knowledge about food safety more than in the general public

Didn’t say more often. I said it’s rampant in the frum world. And yes people in real life and on here insist you can boil bacteria away, so yeah I’m going to go with we have a general lack of knowledge on this topic.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 7:18 pm
amother Trillium wrote:

I guess we don’t run in the same circles. In my life people tend to be a little ocd about food freshness. There’s a lot of throwing away food because of that.

amother
Trillium

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 7:20 pm
amother Hibiscus wrote:
I guess we don’t run in the same circles. In my life people tend to be a little ocd about food freshness. There’s a lot of throwing away food because of that.

Throwing away two day old food still doesn’t mean they understand how bacteria grows. And if they leave food out cooling for hours or defrost food incorrectly then they dont understand food safety.

amother
Currant

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 7:20 pm
amother Trillium wrote:
Didn’t say more often. I said it’s rampant in the frum world. And yes people in real life and on here insist you can boil bacteria away, so yeah I’m going to go with we have a general lack of knowledge on this topic.

I didn't realize you weren't saying its more common that in the general public.
If so, it's irrelevant to this conversation and that's the discussion we are having here
Obviously there are people who do not know/care about food safety and whatever the number it is too much. But that's not the topic of discussion here.

amother
Steel

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 7:32 pm
I got it from lox.
Not expired bought that week. I just started liking that type. (Pastrami lox).
I don’t want to say the company’s name because I’m 90% sure there’s relatives of them in here.

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 7:44 pm
amother Trillium wrote:
Throwing away two day old food still doesn’t mean they understand how bacteria grows. And if they leave food out cooling for hours or defrost food incorrectly then they dont understand food safety.

You seem to know a lot about this so question for you that I’ve always wondered
How do you put your chicken soup away?
I leave it to cool usually but that will take many many hours but I know that putting it in the fridge while still warm can be a big problem

amother
Trillium

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 7:46 pm
amother Jade wrote:
You seem to know a lot about this so question for you that I’ve always wondered
How do you put your chicken soup away?
I leave it to cool usually but that will take many many hours but I know that putting it in the fridge while still warm can be a big problem

I portion it out of the pot into containers so it cools faster. It takes too long to cool properly in a large metal pot.

readreread

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 7:56 pm
amother Trillium wrote:

Can you explain more what you mean about boiling? Per the New York State Dept of Health website, almost all bacteria are killed if you boil for long enough (the exceptions being clostridium and bacillus). Do you just mean that there are bacteria that boiling doesn't kill? (I'm emetophobic and about to panic over this lol.)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen