Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
What will you do on the first day of school?

ffbmom

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 3:36 am
Do you start with reading a book? Art activity? Get straight to work? Rules? Love to hear your ideas.

Seraph

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 3:43 am
Depending on the age, it makes a difference. We have 2.5 hours tomorrow morning. I realize there is going to be lots of crying and comforting. I'm definitely not planning on doing a project.
We're probably gonna do davening, free play, and a little rosh chodesh party. Thats all...

Ruchel

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 3:49 am
I remember that as soon as we could write, up to university, the first hour with a teacher was devoted to fill the "file". lol

A file is a whole ritual on its own. You cut a paper sheet into two, you write your SURNAME, under that
first name(s)
birth date
adress
phone number of the parents
email today
and stuff like that
In the end it gets more personal, you ask if there are reasons that could lead to being missing, like health reasons, high level sports, etc.

The kids complain, but they LOVE the ritual and attention. If the teacher skipped it, it was bad news for him LOL

catonmylap

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 3:56 am
My dh is talking about doing the rules. And he was told to make each kids (in the lower grades) cards with their names in English. He only has one class tomorrow(he'll be teaching English). I'd love to hear tips from experienced teachers to pass on to him.

Seraph, how come you are doing a short day like the schools?

Seraph

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 4:09 am
Because thats whats done here. And because it makes the adjustment for 1.5 year olds who have never left their parents, a drop easier.

zufriedene

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 6:12 am
The first day of school with the summer BH behind us all, safe and healthy is a day to say Hallel with a BRacha.
Luckily its Rosh Chodesh I"ll have double KAvana!!

Abigail

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 11:42 am
im starting off by getting the kids used to their new classroom, writing names on their books, we then have a discussion about the rules-I dont tell it to them-they tell me the rules they want in their classroom. After that they will write a piece about them what they like and dont like, and what their goals are for the coming year.

mom71

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 12:46 pm
what about with 3 years old. Does anyone have a good easy project or activity to do with them on the first day?

ffbmom

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 4:34 pm
catonmylap wrote:
My dh is talking about doing the rules. And he was told to make each kids (in the lower grades) cards with their names in English. He only has one class tomorrow(he'll be teaching English). I'd love to hear tips from experienced teachers to pass on to him.

Seraph, how come you are doing a short day like the schools?

What age and subject does your dh teach? I can suggest some interesting ways of doing the rules. Let me know what he is teaching.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 4:45 pm
I teach 9th grade math (4 classes, 15 students each.) Here's what I'm doing:

1) Do now on the board with 3 questions from the 8th grade exam (I'm giving them a diagnostic on the 2nd or 3rd day and want to refresh their memory)
2) I will introduce myself and talk about my rules (I only have 3; they can give me examples of what they think respect and cooperation mean in the classroom.) I will talk about how my class is run, and procedures for lateness, entering and exiting the room, and how I will get their attention at the end of group work.
3) They will fill out a student inventory including contact information as well as personal questions about their likes and dislikes, what they do after school, 3 qualities the remember in their favorite teacher, etc.
4) They will break into groups of three and create a Venn diagram that includes their names and interests (2 for each category: their own interests, what they share in common with only 1 group member, and what all 3 share in common)
5) Finally one person from each group will introduce the group to the class and share one thing they all have in common.

Each group's diagram will be on a different color of bright paper and it will go on the bulletin board outside my classroom under a big banner that says "Our Class" since my boards are completey blank.

zufriedene

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 11:10 pm
Funny me, I thought u were all wondering what mothers are going to do the first day of school....

Imaonwheels

Post Mon, Sep 01 2008, 12:35 pm
Sad I went to school too, I teach.

Eden

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 9:42 am
A mother, can you explain the Venn diagram a little more? Sounds very interesting and I would like to use it.

ShakleeMom

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 6:01 pm
I had cheerios and milk today, and nobody looked me in the face!!!!!!!!!

amother

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 6:28 pm
Eden wrote:
A mother, can you explain the Venn diagram a little more? Sounds very interesting and I would like to use it.

The students had already seen Venn diagrams in middle school so I just gave them a quick problem to remind them of what they were (they forget lots of things over the summer!) Then I split them up into pairs and triplets to fill out Venn diagram sheets.

Basically I bought a pack of different colored paper for the printer and drew Venn diagrams of both 2 and 3 intersecting circles on my computer in paintbrush. it was fairly easy to do. Then cut and pasted them into a word document to print. So I had a bunch of different colored diagrams.

I asked the students to ask each other questions, for example:
- what is your favorite food
- what is your dream job
- favorite song/type of music
- college you want to attend

I told them they could ask anything as long as they used their common sense and kept it appropriate for the classroom.

I asked them to fill out two things per section of the Venn. I have to say that the groups of 3 were a little confused with all the sections. We pulled it together in the end, but next year if I use this activity, pairs is definitely the way to go.

So now that I have all these multicolored papers for my class, I'm filling up my bulletin board with a banner that says "All About Us" and am tacking up a ton of the diagrams. It's an easy, fast way to get bulletin board material up right away.

anonymom

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 7:33 pm
zufriedene wrote:
Funny me, I thought u were all wondering what mothers are going to do the first day of school....

That's what I thought too. So I skipped this thread for several days because I used to be a SAHM and recently went to work and I didn't want to make myself feel bad.

SuperMama

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 7:45 pm
mom71 wrote:
what about with 3 years old. Does anyone have a good easy project or activity to do with them on the first day?

I have tons!!!!! My sister taught this age...If you need project ideas for certain themes.... Let me know and I'll ask her or see if I can think of anything off the top fo my head.

Eden

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 8:41 pm
A mother! WOW! I really like your idea, and now it is so much more clear to me! THANK YOU!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics