Home
Log in / Sign Up
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Ideas of suppers for non kosher cruise- can’t use Betty
Previous  1  2  3



Post new topic   Reply to topic View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother
Starflower


 

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 4:32 am
amother OP wrote:
Why?

Because cruises aren’t exactly the kind of environment anyone that machmir would be caught dead at. In a cruise pple are on vacation. There are pools everywhere etc. there is comedy shows and musicals with kol isha. Non Jewish music, loads of treif food everywhere. Will there be a minyan there? Someone so super machmir that they don’t hold of double covering wouldn’t go to a place without a minyan
Back to top

Ruchel




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 5:01 am
If people stop going to cruises, then yes there won't be minyanim... But depending on the cruise there might well be shabbes minyan, especially if it's the type of traject many Jews do (say, Mediterranea).
Back to top

essie14




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 6:05 am
I know a lot of frum people who go on cruises but never a cruise without any kosher food. Some people very much enjoy a cruise even if there's just heated up airline meals. But no kosher food at all is very difficult because you can't bring any appliances on a cruise.
OP, is there no way you can go on a different cruise? There are so many with kosher food.
Back to top

oodlesofnoodles




 
 
    
 

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 5:56 am
Are you going on Virgin Voyages? They are the only cruise line I can think of without kosher airline meals. My suggestion would be bringing brand new pans and/or eating the many items that they serve that have a hechsher. The staff is very accommodating about showing you the packaging and they are willing to separate out some for you before prepping for the buffet.

My personal opinion is that I wouldn’t go on a cruise that doesn’t serve any kosher meals-it’s such a huge hassle to bring and prepare/coordinate preparation of all your own food! A big part of the cruise experience is the food and the fact that I don’t have to prep it Smile. May I ask why you chose this cruise line?

And if you don’t hold with double wrapping and heating in the ovens, you wouldn’t be able to eat the airline meals anyway 🤔
Back to top

amother
Seafoam


 

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 6:05 am
oodlesofnoodles wrote:
Are you going on Virgin Voyages? They are the only cruise line I can think of without kosher airline meals. My suggestion would be bringing brand new pans and/or eating the many items that they serve that have a hechsher. The staff is very accommodating about showing you the packaging and they are willing to separate out some for you before prepping for the buffet.

My personal opinion is that I wouldn’t go on a cruise that doesn’t serve any kosher meals-it’s such a huge hassle to bring and prepare/coordinate preparation of all your own food! A big part of the cruise experience is the food and the fact that I don’t have to prep it Smile. May I ask why you chose this cruise line?

And if you don’t hold with double wrapping and heating in the ovens, you wouldn’t be able to eat the airline meals anyway 🤔


I don’t think I know of anyone (including my brother in law that checks grapes and doesn’t eat meat for hechsher reasons) that doesn’t heat up food double covered. It’s just kosher it’s not a kula or anything. Many would want to watch it being done but I don’t think it’s something you need to “hold of”
Back to top

amother
Cantaloupe


 

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 7:35 am
Trader Joe's has kosher microwave rice -dont need water just heat for 3 min.
Trader joes also have kosher microwaveable indian food(check if you go by that hechsher)
Any steam in bag frozen veggies
Tradition soups
Beef jerky
Back to top

greenavocados




 
 
    
 

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 9:49 am
You can freeze dry meals and warm them up with just hot water (or some even cold) like hikers do.
Back to top

amother
Mayflower


 

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 10:07 am
I'm so curious if this experience is enjoyable
Back to top

Chana Miriam S




 
 
    
 

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 10:14 am
Bring a souse vide and a vacuum packer. You can ask for raw fish with skin and cook in souse vide. Also vegetables.

Mainstream hashgac ha does hold that items wrapped twice can be cooked in an oven with non kosher things. I’d ask your rabbi.
Back to top

Brit in Israel




 
 
    
 

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 10:16 am
I don't know if they will allow or if you can do it without them knowing. You can get a camping gas stove and gas canisters and cook in regular or foil pots. We do this when we go to hotels or Airbnb.

Another option is buying a dehydrator and preparing all your meals and all you have to do is add hot water and wait a few minutes.
You can practically make anything in it and have a hearty homemade meal easily.
It's is slightly expensive but an investment. Just means cooking alot in advance.
Back to top

imasinger




 
 
    
 

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 10:22 am
Chana Miriam S wrote:
Bring a souse vide and a vacuum packer. You can ask for raw fish with skin and cook in souse vide. Also vegetables.

Mainstream hashgac ha does hold that items wrapped twice can be cooked in an oven with non kosher things. I’d ask your rabbi.


You beat me to it, I was going to suggest sous vide as well.
Back to top

mha3484




 
 
    
 

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 10:41 am
OP, have you been a cruise before? I went on a few in my past life and as a frum person I cant see it being fun unless it was a fully kosher program. The eating, shows and being on a floating pool were the main attractions. If you cant do any of that it may be a let down.
Back to top

amother
Fern


 

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 10:45 am
I’ve gone away with just a small electric hot water urn.
I had lots of oatmeal, hot cocoa, coffee, tea, noodle soup together with sandwiches and pre wrapped pastries. You’ll need to have protein to feel satisfied so bring along tuna, deli and peanut butter.
Breakfast was coffee and a danish or oatmeal.
Lunch was hot cocoa with a sandwich- either peanut butter, butter or tuna.
Supper was a chicken/noodle soup with a deli sandwich or sometimes it was tuna and corn from a can.
Hopefully you can get fresh fruits and vegetables (tomatoes and peppers) and enjoy them with your meals.
Nothing fancy but we didn’t starve either.
Of course there’s always crackers and chips to snack on…
Works for a few days.
Back to top

essie14




 
 
    
 

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 11:47 am
Chana Miriam S wrote:
Bring a souse vide and a vacuum packer. You can ask for raw fish with skin and cook in souse vide. Also vegetables.

Mainstream hashgac ha does hold that items wrapped twice can be cooked in an oven with non kosher things. I’d ask your rabbi.

You cannot bring a sous vide on a cruise ship
Back to top

essie14




 
 
    
 

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 11:50 am
Brit in Israel wrote:
I don't know if they will allow or if you can do it without them knowing. You can get a camping gas stove and gas canisters and cook in regular or foil pots. We do this when we go to hotels or Airbnb.

Another option is buying a dehydrator and preparing all your meals and all you have to do is add hot water and wait a few minutes.
You can practically make anything in it and have a hearty homemade meal easily.
It's is slightly expensive but an investment. Just means cooking alot in advance.

You can't bring electrical appliances on a cruise. They go through your luggage and confiscate anything contraband.
A gas camping stove? Do you know how tiny cruise ship rooms are?
Major fire hazard. It would never even get on the ship - security would remove it from the suitcase.
A cruise ship is not like an airbnb. Or even a hotel.
Back to top

imaima




 
 
    
 

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 12:03 pm
amother Mayflower wrote:
I'm so curious if this experience is enjoyable


I am sure it’s not
It doesn’t make any sense
Back to top

amother
Fern


 

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 12:24 pm
imaima wrote:
I am sure it’s not
It doesn’t make any sense


Maybe her job is taking them and it’s expected for her to join.
Or maybe she has relatives who are not religious they’re going on a family cruise together…
Or maybe she always dreamed of going on a cruise and this is the only way it can happen.
Sometimes it’s a medical situation and it’s paid for.
Who knows?
She wasn’t asking for advice about the cruise.
She just wanted food ideas.
Back to top

amother
Puce


 

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 8:42 pm
Budha bowls/meal prep type of food.
Basically a grain, veggies, a protein and a dressing plus more add ins that you can bring already cooked in separate containers kept in the fridge.
Will only work for the first 4 days or so otherwise can go bad in fridge.
Back to top

singleagain




 
 
    
 

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 9:07 pm
Dezin Hot Pot Electric Upgraded, Non-Stick Sauté Pan, Rapid Noodles Electric Pot, 1.5L Mini Portable Hot Pot for Steak, Egg, Fried Rice, Ramen, Oatmeal, Soup with Power Adjustment(Egg Rack Included) https://a.co/d/0coxqcZ7


They have electric plug-in pots now like you plug this into your outlet. This particular one has a 250 wattage and a 600 wattage option. It might be good to try shopping around and looking at different pots.
Back to top
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics




Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Vacation and Traveling

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Pls share nice ideas for family grill supper
by amother
7 Today at 6:08 am View last post
ISO dishwashing contest ideas for kids 1 Yesterday at 8:06 pm View last post
Looking for ideas to increase my income
by amother
4 Sat, Jul 13 2024, 7:55 pm View last post
by RM3
[ Poll ] Betty Crocker Recipes
by amother
23 Fri, Jul 12 2024, 2:46 pm View last post
Kosher Travel Sites
by amother
3 Fri, Jul 12 2024, 12:03 pm View last post