Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Plus Size Fashion- Safe Haven
Why is it like this in clothing stores?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 1:00 pm
Why are all the larger sizes always in the back and I need to ask for them? I feel so stupid having to ask them to bring out the right sizes for everything I need to try on.
For some reason, all the smaller and medium sizes are always on the racks.
It’s so demeaning.

Vent over.

amother
Begonia

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 1:29 pm
I have never heard of plus sizes being in the back specifically.

What I have found is that in department stores the plus size department would often be in an out of the way place.

For example in one store, all of the woman's and junior was on the second floor but the plus size was on the third floor next to the china department. LOL

zaq

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 4:15 pm
amother Begonia wrote:
I have never heard of plus sizes being in the back specifically.

What I have found is that in department stores the plus size department would often be in an out of the way place.

For example in one store, all of the woman's and junior was on the second floor but the plus size was on the third floor next to the china department. LOL

Maybe they think that plus-size customers prefer a more discreet location away from all the skinny-minnies they'd rather not run into.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 4:20 pm
amother OP wrote:
Why are all the larger sizes always in the back and I need to ask for them? I feel so stupid having to ask them to bring out the right sizes for everything I need to try on.
For some reason, all the smaller and medium sizes are always on the racks.
It’s so demeaning.

Vent over.

Cause they sell out faster and need to be restocked. Come the end of the season, when stuff goes on sale, and it's only the small sizes left.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 4:43 pm
The AVERAGE customer is size xs-m ( I own a store in retail ) xxl is not usually put out because it just sits. It’s usually xs s m l and Maybe xl out

amother
Camellia

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 4:51 pm
and I thought the plus sizes sell out first Wink

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 4:56 pm
One time I just stuck my foot inside the entrance to the shop and the woman yelled from the back of the shop '' We don't have your size here''. Turned and ran. I also wanted to try shoes, (many years ago) and the man said ''Don't put them on, you will stretch them.'' Now you understand why I Hate shopping? LOL

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 5:03 pm
amother Amber wrote:
One time I just stuck my foot inside the entrance to the shop and the woman yelled from the back of the shop '' We don't have your size here''. Turned and ran. I also wanted to try shoes, (many years ago) and the man said ''Don't put them on, you will stretch them.'' Now you understand why I Hate shopping? LOL

Was the laughing emoji a typo?

amother
Begonia

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 5:15 pm
zaq wrote:
Maybe they think that plus-size customers prefer a more discreet location away from all the skinny-minnies they'd rather not run into.

They are generally in undesirable locations.

I think it is based on impulse shopping.

In general, a plus size woman is probably less likely to be just browsing for fun and so will go wherever the department is and make the special effort.

ETA - It is the same reason why grocery stores are stocked in a certain way. Milk and other stapes are at the back of the store so if you come in for your "must buy" stuff you will have to go up aisles where you are more likely to see stuff and buy on impulse. The most impulse buy type stuff is at checkout where they have candy or snacks or cold drinks - also not coincidentally where a child might start whining and get the parent to buy for them.

These floors were less likely to be high square foot sales and so were in basements or top floors.

There is one high end department store where it was located in a second building which also had men's clothing so that was really conspicuous because it was obvious where you were headed. 🤷‍♀️

amother
Melon

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 5:19 pm
amother Arcticblue wrote:
The AVERAGE customer is size xs-m ( I own a store in retail ) xxl is not usually put out because it just sits. It’s usually xs s m l and Maybe xl out

This I don't get because the majority of people I know are size large-2x. I could never figure out why so few stores cater to plus size since there are so many overweight people! But apparently we are still the minority.. bring on the processed food we need to form the majority;) jk I can't wait for the day I'm part of the AVERAGE!

logical

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 10:53 pm
amother Melon wrote:
This I don't get because the majority of people I know are size large-2x. I could never figure out why so few stores cater to plus size since there are so many overweight people! But apparently we are still the minority.. bring on the processed food we need to form the majority;) jk I can't wait for the day I'm part of the AVERAGE!

is it really the average or are the plus sized customers not even coming to the store?
there are so many stores I never found clothes in even when I was "just" a size 16.

amother
Eggplant

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 12:25 am

YOUR average customer is xs-m. As someone who is XL-XXL, I am sensitive to how I’m perceived as a customer and won’t come in if I don’t feel wanted.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 2:06 am
The average American woman wears size 16 - 18.

https://www.thelist.com/105630.....size/

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 2:41 am
amother Begonia wrote:
They are generally in undesirable locations.

I think it is based on impulse shopping.

In general, a plus size woman is probably less likely to be just browsing for fun and so will go wherever the department is and make the special effort.

These floors were less likely to be high square foot sales and so were in basements or top floors.

There is one high end department store where it was located in a second building which also had meals clothing so that was really conspicuous because it was obvious where you were headed. 🤷‍♀️

You are totally right. Young thin people are probably more prone to impulse shopping/shopping-is-my-fun vs a heavy matron who is more prone to shop Shabbos china and things for the grandchildren.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 2:58 am
Younger teens wear xs and s. So you have more people wearing smaller size because they're kids.
Larger sizes sit because we've given up on you. You being the stores that don't order enough larger sizes. Why bother stepping into a store when there are only a couple of items to choose from.
I'll look around when I'm shopping with my daughters, but I won't bother just for me. I'll go somewhere that I could reliably find something and they don't make me uncomfortable.

logical

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 5:08 am
Iymnok wrote:
Younger teens wear xs and s. So you have more people wearing smaller size because they're kids.
Larger sizes sit because we've given up on you. You being the stores that don't order enough larger sizes. Why bother stepping into a store when there are only a couple of items to choose from.
I'll look around when I'm shopping with my daughters, but I won't bother just for me. I'll go somewhere that I could reliably find something and they don't make me uncomfortable.

I dont think I fit in a size small since I was five years old

not all teens wear a size xs/s

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 5:16 am

The average is XS M ?? where?? XS remains behind for sales... M for sure, but the average is S to L... and nowadays, getting close to M to XL... Unless you are teen sizes, then yes young teen wear either children sizes or XS as they enter adult sizes

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 5:22 am

Actually 60% of America is plus size. The reason your average customer is not is because they don’t feel welcome in your store. Think about why.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 5:31 am
logical wrote:

True, younger teens and preteens.
In other words, kids.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 5:33 am
logical wrote:

You haven’t worn a lady’s small since you were 5???
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Plus Size Fashion- Safe Haven