Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Plus Size Fashion- Safe Haven
Why is it like this in clothing stores?
Previous  1  2

amother
Crystal

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 5:34 am
I think its because the large sizes get bought much faster then the smalls and mediums. Simply because more people need those sizes. It might not very benign.

amother
Melon

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 5:35 am
amother Cantaloupe wrote:
Actually 60% of America is plus size. The reason your average customer is not is because they don’t feel welcome in your store. Think about why.

Thank you I feel better now. So I am normal after all! I go shopping in some of our local stores and feel obese (I'm a xxl). Even when they do carry xxl it's only from those company's that run tiny...
But on the bright side there are a few new stores that are with the program and are catering to us MAJORITY people and that's been really nice.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 5:35 am
I've seen recently a documentary about how China is actually changing and the most growing obesity in the world. It's over, even them, though they sell those tiny size, need big sizes. If shops got up with the new sizes, and I say this as a French, we aren't what the world show, people need big sizes, also for shoes.
XXL isn't necessarily huge, if you're broad, tall, strong, muscled, or built that way, you might even not be overweight.

amother
Dandelion

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 6:01 am
I'm plus size. My favorite place to shop is the Mimi Boutique in Baltimore. She has a MASSIVE plus size selection and it's - wait for it - mixed in with the rest of the clothing. There is also a plus section immediately when you walk in the door. My daughter actually works there, so I happen to know that the owner orders a large amount of plus size items, not just one or two - and they sell. Her website also features plus size. I always feel so good about myself when I shop there.

watergirl

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 6:02 am
amother Eggplant wrote:
YOUR average customer is xs-m. As someone who is XL-XXL, I am sensitive to how I’m perceived as a customer and won’t come in if I don’t feel wanted.

Exactly. If I go to a store and I have to ask for my size because the owner decided that I'm not worth the shelf real estate - I'll go somewhere else. I know I'm bigger, but the dress I wear does not take up any more space than a size M. You won't put it out? I won't go in.

amother
Begonia

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 6:45 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
You are totally right. Young thin people are probably more prone to impulse shopping/shopping-is-my-fun vs a heavy matron who is more prone to shop Shabbos china and things for the grandchildren.

Also there is a self fulfilling prophecy that plus women don't spend as much on clothing because they think they will lose weight and then the clothing choices they are offered are not as nice as regular sized clothing and so they don't buy clothing because they can't find clothing they like in their size.

There are a few very high end plus size brands which are expensive but these are niche brands. Oddly both Saks Fifth Avenue and Neiman Marcus have very good plus size departments but it depends on their locations as not all stores are created equally.

And there are a few brands like Eileen Fisher that make their clothing in all sizes.

In my personal experience the boutiques which are only plus size are better places to shop because the women who stock and run them tend to seek out brands that make nicer lines of clothing and also obviously because they are catering to their clientele and so the whole experience is nicer and more comfortable.

InnerMe

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 7:00 am
Actually 60% of America is plus size. The reason your average customer is not is because they don’t feel welcome in your store. Think about why.

This.
Even if the frum community skews smaller there's no way you can convince me that xs-m is average. Even the skinny people I know are not xs. They are usually a medium. You make your store uncomfortable for larger shoppers so they wont come there. I used to shop at a local store that had a few pieces for size 16 & 18 (back when I was that size now Im bigger). Then I decided enough, if they can't give me a decent variety and they think people like me should only wear black garbage bags then why go there and feel awful about myself? And then you convince yourself we don't exist when you make it exceedingly demeaning and a waste of time to shop there.

Perhaps you can do an experiment to test this out. Order the same amounts of pieces in L, XL, and XXL and put them out. Then advertise that you now carry a large selection of size XL-XXL. (but please make sure they are true XL and not the ones were the XL are basically a medium) Then see how it goes and how many pieces remain.

Plonis bas Plonis

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 5:17 pm

I actually stopped shopping in stores for this reason. It is super uncomfortable to keep on asking.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 5:23 pm
Never understood why plus sized clothes need to be separated at all. Like why can’t it be on the same rack with the other sizes?? Why do I have to ask for the plus size rack or section?? Ugh Banging head
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Plus Size Fashion- Safe Haven