Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
Seminary shoes

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 8:11 pm
My daughter, who's going to seminary next year, insists every single girl in seminary wears the $140 Vince shoes. Is there no other options that are a little more budget friendly and that she can still feel in style? Also why do seminary girls all need to be exactly the same?

amother
Buttercup

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 8:53 pm
Must depend on the seminary crowd. Mine was in seminary this year and didn't have these shoes.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 9:26 pm
Thank you so much for taking the time to post all of these links. I don't think she's going to go for then since they're a very different style than what "everyone is wearing" Banging head Banging head

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 9:26 pm
amother Buttercup wrote:
Must depend on the seminary crowd. Mine was in seminary this year and didn't have these shoes.

What seminary did she go to? What type of shoes did she wear for every day?

amother
Stonewash

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 9:28 pm
amother OP wrote:
My daughter, who's going to seminary next year, insists every single girl in seminary wears the $140 Vince shoes. Is there no other options that are a little more budget friendly and that she can still feel in style? Also why do seminary girls all need to be exactly the same?

Because it starts when they're a bahy and they need fashionable baby clothes. Even if you don't do this, enough other do that the pressure exists.

amother
Sand

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 9:33 pm
DD went to seminary last year and wore whatever shoes fit her and she liked. DD is trendy/fashionable there was no specific "in shoes" as far as I know.

amother
Buttercup

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 9:41 pm
amother OP wrote:
What seminary did she go to? What type of shoes did she wear for every day?

A Bais Yakov type seminary, not the "in town" crowd.
Girls wore loafers, slip on sneakers.
I just asked her, she doesn't know about Vince shoes lol.

amother
Peony

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 9:45 pm
What seminary is your daughter going to? If you are sending to the ones where everyone wears the same thing, then you shouldnt be surprised that shoes are included in this "mandate". There are plenty of seminaries that the girls wear whatever the heck they want as long as it conforms to the tznius guidelines (slits, skirt length etc..) I would never have gone and would not let my dds go to any school where everyone wears the same so this wouldnt be a worry for me.

I would also not spend more money on her "seminary" shoes than I have spent on a pair of shoes for myself.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 9:50 pm
amother Stonewash wrote:
Because it starts when they're a bahy and they need fashionable baby clothes. Even if you don't do this, enough other do that the pressure exists.

I agree with this. And I don't usually do this with my kids but sometimes, certain kids have a need to fit in more and I know it's more important for them, so I give in a little. But the current shopping/dressing gashmius culture with these girls really baffles me.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 9:53 pm
All these answers are making me feel better. It's probably her friend telling her that these things are a must but they haven't even been to seminary yet.

amother
Buttercup

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 9:54 pm
amother OP wrote:
All these answers are making me feel better. It's probably her friend telling her that these things are a must but they haven't even been to seminary yet.

Or maybe her seminary crowd IS like that...

amother
Crocus

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 10:08 pm
This year many many many of the girls had Vince, I don't know what will be next year. You can sometimes find them for under 100

amother
Winterberry

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 10:14 pm
Idk. I’d believe her. My ninth grade daughter ‘needed’ those Vince shoes this year cuz everyone had them in her school.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 7:25 pm
A lot of seminary girls do wear the Vince shoes. My neighbor's daughter had them for seminary this year and she is not the type to buy only brands or only from frum stores. She's happy to get clothes from Amazon or Shein. They happen to be extremely comfortable shoes and your daughter will be walking a lot in Israel. I bought them for my daughter who just graduated and is going to Israel next year. We got them on sale around Black Friday time so they were under 100. I agree that $140 is a ridiculous price for shoes. But if you can find them on sale, they're supposedly extremely comfortable for all the walking your daughter's going to do... Otherwise, I would Google what black slip on sneakers are similar to Vince's in comfort and get her those. Also u need to bear in mind that some of the more right wing BY seminaries don't allow the girls to wear sneakers to class so they need loafers or black slip-on sneakers.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 8:47 pm
My dd just came back from seminary and she had the Vince sneakers. They held up really well. We got them a bit cheaper at Nordstrom Rack. I do think a lot of girls had them, it’s a lot of money but my older girls got cheaper sneakers that fell apart and we had to buy new ones in the middle of the year, which was a hassle.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info