Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Too many clothes!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 7:06 pm
I have way too many clothes, amd I need some help paring them down.
I dont know where to begin getting rid of things.

One problem that I recognize is that I live very OOT, and its hard to get my style of clothes here, so I feel a need to hang on to things, which is why my closet is full of skirts, shabbos-dik sweaters, etc. But I need get over this.

It would be helpful for me to have numbers: 8 lightweight tops, 8 heavy shirts, 3 weekday skirts, 2 shabbos skirts, etc.....

I find a capsule warrobe that everyone talks about on the internet doesnt worlk for me.... I tried it!

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 7:27 pm
how often do you wash?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 7:48 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
how often do you wash?

Whenever the hamper is full..... I dont know.
I can adjust my laundry schedule...I dont think I should make any decisions based on that.....

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 7:53 pm
you need enough clothes for the 9days. chol hamoed. without washing. is that a place for you to start?

zaq

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 3:38 pm
Start by taking everything out of your closets and drawers. Everything. Label three boxes: Keep, give away, trash.

Try it all on. It helps to have an honest friend with a good eye participate. Anything faded, torn, or stained beyond repair goes in the Trash box. Anything that doesn't fit perfectly, doesn't flatter you (now you know why you need an honest friend) or doesn't match at least three other garments goes in the Give Away box. Keep only things that you love, that look good on you, that are in mint condition, classic or still in style, that can be mixed-and-matched with multiple other items in your pared -down wardrobe.

Finally, hang all the Keep items back in the closet and drawers. Put the Give Away box in your car and drop it off at the nearest clothing donation center. Put the Trash box out on the curb on the next trash pickup day.

Done!

zaq

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 3:42 pm
Whoops, forgot --keep one or at most two shmattedik outfits for dirty jobs like painting, gardening, washing windows and similar tasks, unless you happen to have a case of Tyvek coveralls lying around. But only one or two, not a dozen!

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 4:17 pm
I also struggle with this. Some people say if you haven't worn it in X amount of time, donate it, but I find I always have excuses to keep things. I've got "fat" clothes and "thin" clothes as well as clothes for all seasons. I'd like another baby so I don't want to get rid of maternity clothes. I also want to keep things that are good for post-partum, as well as work clothes that I haven't worn in ages because I'll eventually return to work and like OP, I find it hard to find things that I like/ are tzniut etc.

Have you got any items that you haven't worn for a while? If so, see if you've really got a reason for keeping them (e.g. that they don't fit post-partum but you're hoping to be able to wear them again) or if you really aren't into that style anymore.

zaq

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 4:52 pm
Unless your baby is under a year old AND you have successfully lost weight before to the point of fitting into your pre-baby clothes, they are unlikely to ever fit you again. Even if you weigh the same as you did in the year 1 BC (before children), your figure will have changed: hips widen, belly may pooch out, waist expands. Clothes simply don't fit the same. And if it's been 5 years or so since you last wore those things, unless they're true classics, chances are they are out of style by now. They definitely will be by the time you shed the weight, unless you're already in the process of shedding it.

Give them away to a gmach or a friend or sisterhood thrift shop and feel good about enabling the clothes to serve their mission instead of velgering around, feeling bored and useless and never seeing the light of day. Let someone else enjoy them, because right now you aren't. Have faith that the KBH will see to it that you won't lose out in the end.

amother
Steelblue

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 4:59 pm
I respectfully disagree with doing it all at once.

It’s a big job and can get overwhelming very fast.

I recommend only do half an hour at a time max. Or 4 pieces of clothing at a time if you’re trying on.

It gets very tedious trying on too many clothes at once.

I like to have minimum 2 weeks worth of stuff at a time.

amother
Steelblue

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 5:01 pm
You can buy closet dividers and label them. (They look like little hangers)

Maternity

Work

Post partum clothes

Clothes for bloating/weight gain

Clothes for if I lose 10 lbs.

Not saying to keep everything. Just that whatever you do keep you can keep organized.

amother
Steelblue

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 5:05 pm
You can also make an area of your closet of,

“If I don’t wear this in 6 months/1 year, it’s time to get rid of it”

mushkamothers

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 5:12 pm
A really easy thing you can do right now is just put away whatever is not in season. A box for true winter, maternity, postpartum, etc. When you're pregnant, then open the box and go through it. When it's summer, open the box of summer maxi dresses and go through it.

What's left in your closet should work around the year. And when you open the closet you should be able to find outfits that you can put on today.

imaima

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 5:29 pm
I also can’t do with a capsule wardrobe.
I feel suffocated. I need 30% of my closet to be more niche/lesser worn stuff that I turn to every now and then for a change.

When I travel I really feel a lack of choices if I don’t pack enough.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics