Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Got your Goat?
1  2  Next

What is your favorite meat for RH?
beef, go with a standard  
 39%  [ 18 ]
lamb, more flavor than beef  
 8%  [ 4 ]
Chicken, cheaper and healthier  
 23%  [ 11 ]
Turkey, feeds a lot of people at a resonable price, very versitile  
 6%  [ 3 ]
Buffalo, healthier than beef and still a red meat  
 0%  [ 0 ]
goat, leaner than lamb but still really flavorful (or so I hear)  
 0%  [ 0 ]
other, please specify  
 10%  [ 5 ]
All of the above, it's meat after all  
 10%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 46

Starhavah

Post Mon, Sep 01 2008, 11:11 pm
DH has always wanted to try goat meat. We live in Chicago where all of the Muslim eat it but we cannot find it kosher. There is a shocet at our butcher's but they will not allow him to kill one if we bring it in live. Does anyone know where we can order kosher goat for Rosh HaShanah? We are willing to buy the entire animal if we have to, but obviously if we can order less than the entire thing we would prefer that. Our local butcher shop says they have no idea where to even order such a thing.

Star Havah

goodheart

Post Mon, Sep 01 2008, 11:56 pm
maybe u can have another butcher ship the meat to u?

Fox

Post Tue, Sep 02 2008, 12:09 am
Can Romanian special order it from Aurora or elsewhere?

ClaRivka

Post Tue, Sep 02 2008, 1:09 am
Fox wrote:
Can Romanian special order it from Aurora or elsewhere?

yea, Romanian can really not find it??????

e1234

Post Tue, Sep 02 2008, 3:48 am
when I saw the title of this post - I thought of something else.
My dh came home with my kids from the petting zoo last week and decided he wanted to buy 2 baby goats - a male and female so he can enjoy them and then when they start having babies he'll have good meat to get shechted...
Ugh.. Well I said no way and I hope I win on this one!

freidasima

Post Tue, Sep 02 2008, 4:14 am
Here in EY almost everyone eats chicken. Everything else is either too expensive or not available.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Sep 02 2008, 4:41 am
Goat meat? Any particular reason? I have only ever heard of Arabs and nomads eating it. I think it's a tough meat, not so palatable. Are you sure you mean goat and not sheep/lamb? On Rosh HaShanna we take a lamb's head.....

Marion

Post Tue, Sep 02 2008, 5:17 am
Other...whatever's on special. For Pesach I splurge and buy a tongue for DH...maybe I will for RH if we decide we're at home and not his parents. But the time of RH is already so expensive, it's really whatever we can afford. (Sometimes that's tofu.)

Tamiri

Post Tue, Sep 02 2008, 5:18 am
freidasima wrote:
Here in EY almost everyone eats chicken. Everything else is either too expensive or not available.

Not the everyone I know......

Raisin

Post Tue, Sep 02 2008, 6:06 am
there are so many meals we have both chicken and beef. I love lamb but it is expensive to serve a crowd.

Friedasima, I know an israeli who always tells me how erev pesach his family bbq a whole lamb. I think his family is yemenite. Does this make sense????

Aidelmom

Post Tue, Sep 02 2008, 6:08 am
Tamiri wrote:
freidasima wrote:

Not the everyone I know......

AFAIK turkey is cheaper than chicken. It's definitly very available. Beef is easy to get too.

Lamb I haven't seen yet.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 02 2008, 6:17 am
Let me think... kosher buffalo and goat, I don't think I've seen, but I know buffalo exists and is very expensive. Have you tried Argentinian steack?

Veal too is nice.

Chicken and turkey are poultry to me and really I don't find them so nourishing. For a pick nick they're nice and practical.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Sep 02 2008, 6:19 am
Raisin wrote:
there are so many meals we have both chicken and beef. I love lamb but it is expensive to serve a crowd.

Friedasima, I know an israeli who always tells me how erev pesach his family bbq a whole lamb. I think his family is yemenite. Does this make sense????

Sfardim do that. Korban Pesach tradition, as opposed to Ashkenazim who not only don't eat lamb but also don't roast.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Sep 02 2008, 6:21 am
Ruchel wrote:
I don't think I've seen, but I know buffalo exists and is very expensive.

Was easy to get in major metro areas in the U.S. 5 years ago when I left. I imagine it's even more readily available now.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Sep 02 2008, 7:20 am
My husband is trying to get a deer.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Sep 02 2008, 7:22 am
Go to NJ. We had them in our back yard. My husband or father, can't remember which, ordered venison steak once at a restaurant in the States. Try not to think about Bambi as you devour the meat.

miriamnechama

Post Tue, Sep 02 2008, 7:29 am
since dh will be in uman.. minus one boy this year, so I'll be home with both boys I'll just make what the boys like to eat.

(yep we decide that he'll go alone this year, basically cus prices are crazy and that I can go to london for my brother's wedding)

yo'ma

Post Tue, Sep 02 2008, 7:30 am
Tamiri wrote:
Go to NJ. We had them in our back yard. My husband or father, can't remember which, ordered venison steak once at a restaurant in the States. Try not to think about Bambi as you devour the meat.

He's trying to get it from a farm. I'm only going to have if he brings some home. He's trying to get it for the men at work. I guess they're getting tired of cow. They have been buying live chickens and shechting them.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Sep 02 2008, 7:58 am
Maybe these guys can help you find goat meat.
http://www.igha.org/USDA.html

Clarissa

Post Tue, Sep 02 2008, 10:57 am
I checked off other, but we will be having fish a couple of times. Otherwise, vegetarian. My mother always made these big turkey dinners which we all loved, with pot roast for the couple of non-turkey eaters, and salmon for my SIL who eats no meat.

Goat is an "in" meat this year in the treif restaurant world, so I imagine it'll eventually be easier to find in the Kosher world, as well.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics