Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Your perfect upsherin menu
1  2  Next

ClaRivka

Post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 10:56 pm
What would it be???

I just got a job catering an upsherin and im kinda clueless. Its my first time doing an upsherin, and while I do have ideas, I'm not sure if its going to be enough.

The mother is already bringing in sandwiches and wraps and candy.
I am in charge of fruit and cookies/cakes/etc.

I was thinking that I could make a fruit basket out of watermelon and fill with fruits and I could also get a nice wicker basket and put a piece of foam in and cover it with grape leaves and have a million fruit kebabs popping out of the foam.

I decided to make cupcakes with a round cookie on top that looks like a kipah with the boys name on it.
Also, tzitzis cookies.

Any other ideas of what a mother would want?

ClaRivka

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 10:36 am
bump

mandksima

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 10:40 am
I made a tzitit cake once that was cute. Make it in a 9x13 or any rectangle size and then cut out the neck (semicircle) in the middle of one end side and then frost white and attach tzitit (I used licorice) to the opposite side ends. I wrote Mazal Tov on the top.

Maybe Alef Bet cookies?

OldYoung

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 12:17 pm
The cupcakes sound adorable!

For fruit, if you don't want to have a bunch of kabobs, you can just cut up different colors and put each color in a different huge goblet. It's simple, but looks beautiful. If you want to get really fancy, you can get alef bais cookie cutters and cut out the fruit with those. (Cut into medium thin layers, and cut like you would cookie dough. If the fruit is firm, it should hold. Melon would probably work the best.)

Vegetable platters are also nice. For an easy, pretty one, put a piece of foam in a big wicker basket and cover with foil. Layer a nice amount of alfalfa sprouts for a "bed," or whatever leaves you can get hold of. Put a dip or two or three in the center, and lay different vegetables around it (like a sun with rays Sunny ). Btw, peppers work great to hold dips!

Alef Bais cookies are cute, but to make it easier, you may just want to get a 3 cookie cutter and cut out a bunch of cookies and cover with blue sprinkle or sugar, or dip part into blue chocolate.

Good luck!

ClaRivka

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 1:39 pm
mandksima-how did you attach the licorice to the to the cake??

mandksima

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 4:19 pm
RivkiA wrote:
mandksima-how did you attach the licorice to the to the cake??

I just stuck the ends into the frosting to hold after tying a few knots in them (use the thinner stringy kind.) I used black licorice even though tzitit are white but you can shake powdered sugar over them if you like. You can use a black piece to run a stripe or two accross the tzitit like you'd see on a wool one.

MOE

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 4:23 pm
how about a chocolate fountain for those fruit skewers in the hollowed out watermelon, marshmellows rice crispy squares etc

ClaRivka

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 1:50 pm
ok, theyre taking care of the fruit....too bad bc I really had great ideas!
I'm making cupcakes with the kippah cookies on top, and alef bais cookies, and a tztzis cake.
im still trying to figure out how to make the cake. How do you just "stick it into the fristing"? What if I made it with fondant??? altho, ill prob end up making it with buttercream. And you think a 9 by 13th cake pan? Or do you think a square pan would be good?

mandksima

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 1:55 pm
RivkiA wrote:
ok, theyre taking care of the fruit....too bad bc I really had great ideas!
I'm making cupcakes with the kippah cookies on top, and alef bais cookies, and a tztzis cake.
im still trying to figure out how to make the cake. How do you just "stick it into the fristing"? What if I made it with fondant??? altho, ill prob end up making it with buttercream. And you think a 9 by 13th cake pan? Or do you think a square pan would be good?

Not sure about with fondant but you could use a toothpick to secure them if need be. Rectangle, such as 9 x 13 would be better than square IMO. Oh, I just remembered that I didn't use licorice in the end, it was sour sticks. Maybe because it was easier to tie but if you can get the stringy licorice, I think that would be best.

ClaRivka

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 2:05 pm
Thank you!!!

Its funny cuz I can like see a finished product in my head but im still not sure about how its going to turn out....a little worried....
but I decided im going to use buttercream.

HooRYou

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 2:08 pm
Couldn't you just poke a hole with something like a straw to pull the licorice/tzitzis through? Really begeds have a hole too.

mandksima

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 2:20 pm
HooRYou wrote:
Couldn't you just poke a hole with something like a straw to pull the licorice/tzitzis through? Really begeds have a hole too.

That just made me think, maybe it would look really cool to use beige string and tie it llike tzitit somewhat. It wouldn't be edible but it would look like the real thing, especially if you cut a piece of straw to the height of the cake and puncture the cake in the corner with the strings already threaded but not tied. Have someone hold the cake carefully while you pull the strings through. Then tie them once the ends are on each side of the cake. String really would be cool because you can make them as long as you need. Oh, I'm so excited to hear how it comes out! Still use black licorice to create the black line of wool.

ClaRivka

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 2:47 pm
The hole sounds cool. I was going to use black fondant for the stripes

GetReal

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 2:55 pm
I've seen an alef-beis train cake - it looks really nice. You bake cakes in those min-loaf pans, frost them and write three-four letters on each. Use round cookies for wheels and the licorice strings to make tracks. Connect the cars with a licorice or something, and use a wafer for a smokestack at the front.

ClaRivka

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 3:00 pm
wow getreal, id love to try that but not this upsherin! I do not have enough time.

Mommy3.5

Post Wed, Sep 10 2008, 10:32 am

my sons upsherin cake. My mother made it.

ClaRivka

Post Wed, Sep 10 2008, 6:28 pm
How did she make that???????

Mommy3.5

Post Wed, Sep 10 2008, 9:08 pm
The cake is a wilton pan, of an open book. The letters she did freehand, and the little people are 3d and are made of straws and decorator icing.

Mommy3.5

Post Wed, Sep 10 2008, 9:15 pm

this was the other one

the whole left side was 3d

ClaRivka

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 10:58 pm
ok, the cupcakes are not going to work this time. I could go the easy way and just put frosting with sprinkles but does anyone have any ideas that go with an upsherin theme?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics