Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Your perfect upsherin menu
Previous  1  2

mandksima

Post Fri, Sep 12 2008, 6:14 am
RivkiA wrote:
ok, the cupcakes are not going to work this time. I could go the easy way and just put frosting with sprinkles but does anyone have any ideas that go with an upsherin theme?

You can still make kippah cupcakes pretty easily with white frosting and then use a gumdrop in the center and cut soursticks to run down from the center to the edge, maybe 3-4. What exactly were you planning to do?

ClaRivka

Post Fri, Sep 12 2008, 2:55 pm
I was planning on making cupcakes and frosting them and then making round cookies to look like kippahs and "glue" them on there.

stem

Post Fri, Sep 12 2008, 3:16 pm
mandksima wrote:
I made a tzitit cake once that was cute. Make it in a 9x13 or any rectangle size and then cut out the neck (semicircle) in the middle of one end side and then frost white and attach tzitit (I used licorice) to the opposite side ends. I wrote Mazal Tov on the top.

Maybe Alef Bet cookies?

You can use that semi circle cutout to frost in blue or black and decorate as a yarmulka. Set it next to the tzitzis cake on the platter.

ClaRivka

Post Fri, Sep 12 2008, 3:33 pm
interesting idea stem...I might do that...

Mommy3.5

Post Sat, Sep 13 2008, 9:46 pm
Letters of the alef bet on each cupcake

frost in white and make tzitzit out of them

ClaRivka

Post Sat, Sep 13 2008, 11:39 pm
how do you make tztzis out of the cupcakes?

YALT

Post Sun, Sep 14 2008, 12:04 am
Here's a cake I made for my friend's son's upsherin.
It was a train. Each car was the next stage in life.
Let me know if you want more photos/details.

ClaRivka

Post Sun, Sep 14 2008, 1:11 am
omg..................genius........
are the train cars cake or rice krispies treats?

whats the last car? looks like a rocking chair at the beach?

YALT

Post Sun, Sep 14 2008, 6:11 am
the cars are loaf pans of cake.
the last car is a rocking chair at the beach. with a Jewish Press and a cane.
The rocking chair was quite a rickety one! It broke as I was putting it on the cake! But everyone saw what it was, and didn't seem to notice that it wasn't broken on purpose.
Funny thing is, her shul is full of all those OLD people, and when she saw it, she wanted to take off the last car, bec. she thought they'd all be insulted. They LOVED it!! They were all fighting for a piece from that car!
It took me a long time to make the cake. But now that I have the full idea in my head and know what I need,.... it would prob. take quicker.
My problem is, I'd love to do it for DS' upsherin (just over 4 months) but I don't know if Ill be able to dedicate my time to that, when I also need to prepare the reast of the upsherin.
Also, bec. I was running out of time, I just used Wilton icing to cover the cakes.

YALT

Post Sun, Sep 14 2008, 6:14 am
btw, the only parts that aren't edible are the doves on the wedding car, the pictures on the first car, and the foil on the coins (2nd car)

Pickle Lady

Post Sun, Sep 14 2008, 8:02 am
WOW YALT that is amazing. Where did you find the time?

YALT

Post Sun, Sep 14 2008, 8:34 am
DH had gone to England for a week to be with his mother when she lost her husband. So it kept me busy once DS was in bed/in the early mornings.
But it definitely DID take alot of time!

ClaRivka

Post Sun, Sep 14 2008, 8:57 pm
this is the cake

ClaRivka

Post Sun, Sep 14 2008, 9:03 pm
nvm...I cant do it!!! I dont kno hhow to copy pics!

Nachum's Mommy

Post Mon, Oct 27 2008, 9:44 pm
Hi, I found this website thru google while looking to buy tzitzis cookie cutters, and your post came up, so I joined imamother.com, I'm making an upshern in a few months, I"yh, and I'd really like to know how you are making the tzitzis cookies, what kind of cookie cutters do you use and where doyou buy them?

Thanks, and good luck with your catering job, if I have any ideas I'll let you know

amother

Post Tue, Oct 28 2008, 3:53 am
I made some really cute gingerbread men for my sons Upsherin, with tzitzis and Yarmulke.
I dipped the heads halfway into melted chocolate (for Yarmulke) and then did the same with the feet (for shoes).
I cut out Tzitzis using rolled white icing (can get kosher Wiltons) (I rolled it out, used a ruler and knife to cut out rectangles, and then cut our little semi circles from the top for hole in Tzitzis). I then attached it to the gingerbread men, and using melted chocolate in a plastic bag with a TINY hole cut in, made eyes, mouth and Tzitzis strings.
They were really adorable and delicious!
I got the idea from this link on Only Simchas http://www.onlysimchas.com/v4/.....24298
(this is NOT my kid/cake.. just where I got the idea from)!

I also made a Tzitzis cake as mentioned above, and a Yarmulke cake which I baked in a stainless steel mixing bowl, and icing with chocolate, using a darker chocolate icing to write my son's name and decorate. It was lots of fun, and I love baking.

YALT

Post Tue, Oct 28 2008, 7:48 am
Nachum's Mommy wrote:
Hi, I found this website thru google while looking to buy tzitzis cookie cutters, and your post came up, so I joined Imamother.com, I'm making an upshern in a few months, I"yh, and I'd really like to know how you are making the tzitzis cookies, what kind of cookie cutters do you use and where doyou buy them?

Thanks, and good luck with your catering job, if I have any ideas I'll let you know

I think I used to have a tzitzis cookie cutter. Go to Peppermill (16th Ave between 50&51). If anyone has it, they will!

Nachum's Mommy

Post Tue, Oct 28 2008, 9:57 am
Thanks for the reply about the tzitzis cookie cutters.........I don't live in ny.....does peppermill have a website? And thanks for the gingerbread man idea, sounds cute, do the tzitzis take a lot of time?

YALT

Post Tue, Oct 28 2008, 11:03 am
Here is their website:
http://www.thepeppermillinc.com/index.asp
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics