Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Trouble falling asleep at night...effecting performance....

amother

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 3:27 pm
So any suggestions for a teen who has trouble falling asleep at night? My teen is in a dorm, and lights out are around 10:45. But, it takes an hour or more to fall asleep after lights out. This child has had the same troubles falling asleep when at home too. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for me to offer said child. The lack of sleep at night effects feeling awake for early morning classes and the late night classes. It's after those late night classes where they were so tired at one point that they become "wired" again before lights out. Anyone??

amother

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 5:29 pm
Try taking calcium it is suppose to help calm you , ask Dr how much he should be taking. Also check the diet to see what is wiring him up. I know that any caffiene does it for me and so does orange juice or too much sugar so what is being eaten before feeling that way? You could be suprised what it could be.

greenfire

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 5:34 pm
some people are just night people ... he sounds like he needs to unwind ... does he like to read or write ...

does he eat a good breakfast ... that can help for a better day ...

how about some sleepytime tea with chamomile to relax ...

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 5:36 pm
Maybe a white noise machine would help? Or an ipod with soothing music?

chavamom

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 5:37 pm
Melatonin. But he also might need more exercise during the day.

montrealmommy

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 5:55 pm
other than all the above -
is he stressed? does he tend to mull over his day not allowing himself to relax? If the brain is still working hard, the body cannot rest either!

amother

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 12:10 pm
Thanks ladies! I'm going to see what I can find in chewable calcium and then spek to his Dr to inquire how much he should take.

I'm going to ask him about what he's eating for breakfast. I was just thinking about that actually. I know when he doesn't eat right he doesn't function well.

Oh and, listioning to shiurim would probably sooth him to sleep!!! But, I don't think he's aloud an ipod. I'm going to have to think about this!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children