Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Selling home-cooked meals in the community
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Wed, Sep 10 2008, 2:44 pm
I am a stay at home mother looking for a way to make some extra money, so I thought of an idea...

I make very good healthy yummy suppers every night. alot of times I hear my friends complaining that they work and have a hard time making nutricious yummy meals. so I want to see if anyone would be interested in paying someone else to make suppers for them...

Is anyone interested? I live in crown heights. Also, what would be a normal price for me to charge If I do it...

thanks

yo'ma

Post Wed, Sep 10 2008, 2:46 pm
I don't think in the jewish world pple do it, but there are chefs who come to your house and cook for that night or a whole weeks worth and freeze it.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 10 2008, 2:48 pm
oh ok so maybe not, just want to hear what people think

elf123

Post Wed, Sep 10 2008, 2:49 pm
I know a frum woman who lives in the Five Towns and does what you are describing...she started out as someone who loved to cook, then eventually became a personal chef and cooks for families...I assume frum ones, b/c she is....

whatever

Post Wed, Sep 10 2008, 2:51 pm
around here they charge $9 a person. that includes an entree, soup, main dish (protein, starch and vege.)
good luck

3Qts

Post Wed, Sep 10 2008, 2:53 pm
whatever..where are you? It sounds cheap for a full supper

Chocoholic

Post Wed, Sep 10 2008, 2:59 pm
I think it's a good idea, but if you want to commercialize it, you probably need to have a professional kitchen etc.

ClaRivka

Post Wed, Sep 10 2008, 3:27 pm
I was thinking the same thing.

red sea

Post Wed, Sep 10 2008, 3:32 pm
Someone does that in Flatbush too...its in demand, not only for working mothers but sending meals to s/o when you dont have time to cook it yourself and more. If noone does it in your neighborhood I think you should go for it for sure.

zigi

Post Wed, Sep 10 2008, 3:39 pm
I live in ch its sounds like a good idea. a home cooked meal instead of takeout. also for people who just had a baby, or not in the mood to cook. do you have anything right now? I'm hungry!

Chocoholic

Post Wed, Sep 10 2008, 3:49 pm
Too bad I don't live in CH. My DH would love it because yours truly doesn't cook.

square_peg

Post Wed, Sep 10 2008, 4:05 pm
Well, I just became a SAHM/WAHM - we'll see Smile

But, theoretically.. depends how well you cook... and if one can pass it off as if they cooked it themselves without dh being any the wiser. (j/k)

Also, what about delivery? Pickup only? that would be another expense for you.

ClaRivka

Post Wed, Sep 10 2008, 4:10 pm
$9 seems cheap, no?

iKreamswirls

Post Wed, Sep 10 2008, 4:20 pm
This would be an great for mothers that just gave birth...

square_peg

Post Wed, Sep 10 2008, 4:29 pm
actually, in bp they have an organization who provides meals for families where the mother just gave birth.

Pineapple

Post Wed, Sep 10 2008, 4:56 pm
Some people might want a hechsher

Its a great idea though

tovarena

Post Wed, Sep 10 2008, 5:25 pm
I am a full time working mom. I would be very likely to take advantage of it if you were in my area. But I'm not in NY. It would also partially depend on price and menu.

TwinsMommy

Post Wed, Sep 10 2008, 7:33 pm
in my state (OH) to sell food you made at home you need a separate commercial kitchen (your basement, backyard addon, whatever). So it's a lot of work up front to start making money by selling food (plus you'd 100% need a hecksher, and you can't get a hecksher till you're legal with the state, right?).

Don't know if it's diff there or not. But anyway, if you'd be legal with the state and have a good hecksher and could deliver to Cleveland..... ! I'd happily be your customer, that's for darn sure!

ShakleeMom

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 5:24 am
I know the non jews have a communal kitchen thing. You make an appointment, arrive with 10 women to a fully stocked kitchen, all the veggies are cut up. You spend about an hour preparing food for the month (no kidding0 and take it all home in containers to freeze. What a dream!

Imagine we can walk into a caterers kitchen and use their machinery and have onions all cut up for us, potatoes peeled… pay a fee of about $150 which includes the material, it’s gotta be fantastic!

Mir000

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 7:10 am
As a nutritionist I feel this is an issue with lots of my clients. Busy moms or men who can't always cook as nutritious b/c of time... I think it's a great idea and would recommend it to my clients. Unfortunately I don't live in the same area as you but think the concept is good. If you can even target it to weight loss or calorie reduced. It may be worth it to get the nutritional analysis done and you could have different meals for calorie levels. That's probably down the road but I like your idea.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics